The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Was very impressed with Hill in the Dallas series.   Vegas was not the best team every game, and Hill was outplaying Otto.   Wasn't as lopsided as CAR/FLD, where Bobrovsky was doing his best Hasek or Patrick Roy impression... BUT right now, the real Patrick Roy is Hill.   He's doing what few goalies have ever accomplished, two that i'm aware of if they win the cup which for sure odds are they will now,  Dryden in 1970 winning when MTL wasn't supposed even make the playoffs, against the Big Bad Bruins etc, and Roy in 86 with MTL (that team was a contender though).     Bob got all the attention, but Hill wasn't that far behind really, and now it appears he's surpassing him.    As in goalies first playoff appearances, and just killing it all the way to the cup.  "Giraffe" Bruins named Dryden ... weren't happy about that.    Roy of course and Dryden did it as rookies.   Both top all-time goalies.   Hill is more like Tim Thomas.    

Heh, don't forget about our homeboy Binnington.  I can't remember...were Cam Ward and Matt Murray right at the very start of their careers?

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

During those first three years the league was set up so that one conference was all expansion teams and thus one HAD to make it to the final.  The original six were all in the other conference and that conference was only original six.  Again, it is another case of a particular expansion facilitating success (like the Seattle and Vegas ones) whereas all of the other expansions kind of left new teams to suffer as runts of the litter.

St. Louis was the best of the new six teams...somebody had to be.  If you take the 1968-69 season for example...all six teams in the original six conference were above .500 for the season.  Their last place team was over .500.  Meanwhile, St. Louis was the ONLY team that was over .500 in the expansion conference of six teams.  And that was because it played the other expansion teams so much.  Meanwhile the other five teams in the expansions conference got slapped around so much when they played the original six that they couldn't even manage a .500 record for the year by beating up on each other.  Four of the six teams had abysmal records...15 games below .500 or worse.

It just goes to show how good the original six must have been.    The AHL was a very very good league too, back in the 50's, pretty much that era's version of the WHA.    Johnny Bower is the only goalie other than Broduer, to have 600 plus career pro wins, and was trying to get poached for years.   Finally they got him to sign in the NHL, well into his 30's (he lied about his age, nobody really knows how old he was when he joined - so he could fight in the war).    Total warrior too, in his mid to late 30's, the teams most fit athlete.     Of course he won cups too.    As fans, we've kind of got screwed out of the best hockey for decades.  21- 24 teams seemed to be the max.   Imagine if we lost 1/3 of the players in this league?   And how good it would be, and that's what we had during the leagues golden era which it's called now.   That is 80'-96ish.     League actually peaked in scoring in 1981.   70's aren't included, in part because of the WHA.    Once those four teams joined, that was start of the golden era.    

If all the fourth liners were shipped to the AHL or Europe or wherever,  third liners became the new fourth liners, and all the third paring defensemen with them...well it's no wonder the year Gartner set the record (which IMO still hasn't been beat, 17 years in the league, and started with a whistle lol, not you get to start and when you pass the radar the clock starts)....that there was a dozen guys who clocked in at 13.5 or less qualifying for the final heats.   Back then you also had to qualify, everyone could give it a go, wasn't just picked for it.    Still haven't seen anything like it at an all-star game.    Hedican was one of those guys.  6'3" and could skate like the wind.   

Would have been great to watch hockey in the 70's ... grainy footage of the Flyers and their 6 policeman pummeling the opposition.. watching the foundation of the NYI's, Orr and the Bruins, and of course the MTL dynasty, which really didn't dissolve completely until the latter part of the 80's, and still managed to be great that entire decade.    Each era seems to have a different flavour.    This one, we are into now, is finally showing some of the promise those era's had.   It took decades, for the talent to finally get to this point.     

My elders, speak with reverence around the original six.   Can see why.   Footage doesn't do it justice.   Bobby Hull is still considered a top ten fastest all-time skater.   And supposedly could hit a puck at 120mph with a wooden stick.  Wouldn't doubt it with those ape arms lol.    

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It just goes to show how good the original six must have been.    The AHL was a very very good league too, back in the 50's, pretty much that era's version of the WHA.    Johnny Bower is the only goalie other than Broduer, to have 600 plus career pro wins, and was trying to get poached for years.   Finally they got him to sign in the NHL, well into his 30's (he lied about his age, nobody really knows how old he was when he joined - so he could fight in the war).    Total warrior too, in his mid to late 30's, the teams most fit athlete.     Of course he won cups too.    As fans, we've kind of got screwed out of the best hockey for decades.  21- 24 teams seemed to be the max.   Imagine if we lost 1/3 of the players in this league?   And how good it would be, and that's what we had during the leagues golden era which it's called now.   That is 80'-96ish.     League actually peaked in scoring in 1981.   70's aren't included, in part because of the WHA.    Once those four teams joined, that was start of the golden era.    

If all the fourth liners were shipped to the AHL or Europe or wherever,  third liners became the new fourth liners, and all the third paring defensemen with them...well it's no wonder the year Gartner set the record (which IMO still hasn't been beat, 17 years in the league, and started with a whistle lol, not you get to start and when you pass the radar the clock starts)....that there was a dozen guys who clocked in at 13.5 or less qualifying for the final heats.   Back then you also had to qualify, everyone could give it a go, wasn't just picked for it.    Still haven't seen anything like it at an all-star game.    Hedican was one of those guys.  6'3" and could skate like the wind.   

Would have been great to watch hockey in the 70's ... grainy footage of the Flyers and their 6 policeman pummeling the opposition.. watching the foundation of the NYI's, Orr and the Bruins, and of course the MTL dynasty, which really didn't dissolve completely until the latter part of the 80's, and still managed to be great that entire decade.    Each era seems to have a different flavour.    This one, we are into now, is finally showing some of the promise those era's had.   It took decades, for the talent to finally get to this point.     

My elders, speak with reverence around the original six.   Can see why.   Footage doesn't do it justice.   Bobby Hull is still considered a top ten fastest all-time skater.   And supposedly could hit a puck at 120mph with a wooden stick.  Wouldn't doubt it with those ape arms lol.    

image.gif.2b074b4b0a7a7f21b9d9f0a5070aed18.gif

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Trevor Linden performed pretty respectably in the fastest skater heats at an early 90s all star game if I remember right.  Not Gartner or Coffey but not at all out of place in the contest.

Heh, I think during COVID I dug up and posted a Canucks vs Canadiens playoff game from 1975 when Gary Smith almost singlehandedly got them the division title.  The team's only notable achievement really until 1982.  Those clean white boards.  Little Bobby Lalonde getting bounced around like a pinata.  He made Cliff Ronning look like Zdeno Chara.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Heh, don't forget about our homeboy Binnington.  I can't remember...were Cam Ward and Matt Murray right at the very start of their careers?

Thanks - yes for sure Binnington, Murray too.   Think Ward might have been a rookie as well (without checking, like Staal) so great memory.   Believe Dryden didn't  even play in the NHL yet.   They just threw him in to see how he'd make out.    Imagine trading for  3 guys, who never played a game in the NHL, for the guy who'd end up becoming the player to cost you a cup (Boston ... ooff, gut punch!) ?   And become probably the best goalie for a decade (Parent gets a couple of those years, Esposito a bridesmaid), with a SP over .921, and used to let goals in on purpose to "motivate" his team lol.    Makes the Stajanov trade look decent.   Ward I think he played games during the regular season like Binnington, but can't remember.     Hill for sure, is with some special company if he keeps this up.   And as for Hill, do think he's a good choice for the Conn Smythe as well, like Roy and Dryden.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Thanks - yes for sure Binnington, Murray too.   Think Ward might have been a rookie as well (without checking, like Staal) so great memory.   Believe Dryden didn't  even play in the NHL yet.   They just threw him in to see how he'd make out.    Imagine trading for  3 guys, who never played a game in the NHL, for the guy who'd end up becoming the player to cost you a cup (Boston ... ooff, gut punch!) ?   And become probably the best goalie for a decade (Parent gets a couple of those years, Esposito a bridesmaid), with a SP over .921, and used to let goals in on purpose to "motivate" his team lol.    Makes the Stajanov trade look decent.   Ward I think he played games during the regular season like Binnington, but can't remember.     Hill for sure, is with some special company if he keeps this up.   And as for Hill, do think he's a good choice for the Conn Smythe as well, like Roy and Dryden.  

I just looked at Hill...this is actually his 6th year in the NHL (some years with few games but four previous years with 13+ games).  More experienced than I thought he was anyway.  He's not a bad choice for Conn Smythe but if he is in net for the next two wins he will still only have 11 out of the 16.  Might be the first time a goalie could ever win the award with not much more than half of the wins required.  Kind of opens it up for Eichel or Marchessault...or even Bobrovsky if he can recover and at least take the series to six.

The Vezina Trophy as we know it now didn't exist but Tony Esposito was 1st team All Star (now the Vezina winner) three times.  I'd say he was the best goalie in the league in 1970 (his 15 shutout season) and 1972.  The last time he was 1st team All Star?  1980 at age 36.  Led the league in games played that season and again the next year at 37.  Guy was awesome.  Got Vezina votes (when it was the trophy we now know) again at age 39.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I just looked at Hill...this is actually his 6th year in the NHL (some years with few games but four previous years with 13+ games).  More experienced than I thought he was anyway.  He's not a bad choice for Conn Smythe but if he is in net for the next two wins he will still only have 11 out of the 16.  Might be the first time a goalie could ever win the award with not much more than half of the wins required.  Kind of opens it up for Eichel or Marchessault...or even Bobrovsky if he can recover and at least take the series to six.

The Vezina Trophy as we know it now didn't exist but Tony Esposito was 1st team All Star (now the Vezina winner) three times.  I'd say he was the best goalie in the league in 1970 (his 15 shutout season) and 1972.  The last time he was 1st team All Star?  1980 at age 36.  Led the league in games played that season and again the next year at 37.  Guy was awesome.  Got Vezina votes (when it was the trophy we now know) again at age 39.

Felt Parent shone the brightest, his single season win record seemed like it never would be beaten.   Now that hockey historians have gone back and done save percentages,  Dryden, Parent, Espo in that order (Parents only PHI, is pretty close to Drydens) gives some insight, and for sure PHI doesn't win either cup without Parent (only Jesus saves more then Parent, seems legit).   Espo played on lesser teams.    Why I made the bridesmaid comment.  

Thing that really impressed me about Dryden, was that Montreal wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs his first cup.   The Bruins were a monster, so deep and their stars were doing things the hockey universe hasn't seen at all yet.   The best team in the league.   Montreal had to convince Beliveau to stay on one more year.    They knew they were going to have to rebuild.   Montreal wasn't even considered a tune up team.   Again management and the hockey people didn't even think they'd make the show.    Dryden went on and had one of the most spectacular goaltending playoff performances ever.   As a rookie.   

As for the rest of the decade, they did rebuild and did it relatively fast.   Dryden was every bit as important to that team as Lafluer ended up.    Pretty sure Dryden has the most impressive winning percentages of any goalie with as many games or more.    And his .922/.923 sp same thing with goalies as many games.    As a stand up goalie that's tough to accomplish.    For sure he ended up with an amazing team infront of him, but it did take some time to get that team as well.   Espo's teams were better in the early part of the decade.  

Those 3, for sure were the cream of the crop.   My favourite was Parent.   But as a young kid listening to the war stories about PHI, became partial to those guys.   Clarke was my first favourite player, before Gretzky, because of his awesome hair and his toothless smile. 

Edit:  As for Hill, it's about his first playoff performance.   Pretty sure he hasn't had any until this year.     And he's really killing it.   Agree there are for sure others on the team worthy too.   Karlsson, his two-way play was unreal against EDM and Dallas.   Basically shut down McDavid and Draisatl 5 x 5,  didn't score on his line.   And think only allowed two goals against Dallas's top line, and started to score.   They have several deserving candidates, Hill one of them.   And agree, if Bobrovsky gets his mojo back - and it goes to game 7, and it's back to .954sp like his last two series, he's the best pick of the bunch win or lose. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Felt Parent shone the brightest, his single season win record seemed like it never would be beaten.   Now that hockey historians have gone back and done save percentages,  Dryden, Parent, Espo in that order (Parents only PHI, is pretty close to Drydens) gives some insight, and for sure PHI doesn't win either cup without Parent (only Jesus saves more then Parent, seems legit).   Espo played on lesser teams.    Why I made the bridesmaid comment.  

Thing that really impressed me about Dryden, was that Montreal wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs his first cup.   The Bruins were a monster, so deep and their stars were doing things the hockey universe hasn't seen at all yet.   The best team in the league.   Montreal had to convince Beliveau to stay on one more year.    They knew they were going to have to rebuild.   Montreal wasn't even considered a tune up team.   Again management and the hockey people didn't even think they'd make the show.    Dryden went on and had one of the most spectacular goaltending playoff performances ever.   As a rookie.   

As for the rest of the decade, they did rebuild and did it relatively fast.   Dryden was every bit as important to that team as Lafluer ended up.    Pretty sure Dryden has the most impressive winning percentages of any goalie with as many games or more.    And his .922/.923 sp same thing with goalies as many games.    As a stand up goalie that's tough to accomplish.    For sure he ended up with an amazing team infront of him, but it did take some time to get that team as well.   Espo's teams were better in the early part of the decade.  

Those 3, for sure were the cream of the crop.   My favourite was Parent.   But as a young kid listening to the war stories about PHI, became partial to those guys.   Clarke was my first favourite player, before Gretzky, because of his awesome hair and his toothless smile. 

Edit:  As for Hill, it's about his first playoff performance.   Pretty sure he hasn't had any until this year.     And he's really killing it. 

Hextall didn't quite win the Cup his rookie year but Vezina, Conn Smythe and game 7 of the final is pretty good for first season altogether.

All of that and they didn't give him the Calder.  It was weird to me.  Robitaille and Jimmy Carson had basically the same season for the same team in LA...but the voters gave Lucky Luc more votes than Carson and Hextall.  I figured Robitaille and Carson were primed to split the vote but I guess the experts knew something that I (and Edmonton) didn't.  Hextall was still better that year though.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Back when I first took interest in hockey 68. St. Louis was the tough team. Philly hadn’t established      that part of their game yet. By 73 philly was coming on they somehow got Andre DuPont out of St. Louis. Kind of like how edm was so captivating philly was that way too. Mind you we only had 1 game per week Saturday nite. Until bctv came in with mid week games.  By 74 my first year going to the Smithers Watson bros hockey camp ( 3 summers) I was an outright philly fan :ph34r: The Canucks hadn’t  given me much to get behind them to that point . But St. Louis was a tough team all around. Weren’t as dirty as philly. The plager brothers bob Barkley and bill  were considered from the toughest family in Canada it was said. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Would have been great to watch hockey in the 70's ... grainy footage of the Flyers and their 6 policeman pummeling the opposition.. 

Watch any game at the old Queens Park arena (New West Bruins) in the 70s.  "Old time hockey".:ph34r:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hextall didn't quite win the Cup his rookie year but Vezina, Conn Smythe and game 7 of the final is pretty good for first season altogether.

All of that and they didn't give him the Calder.  It was weird to me.  Robitaille and Jimmy Carson had basically the same season for the same team in LA...but the voters gave Lucky Luc more votes than Carson and Hextall.  I figured Robitaille and Carson were primed to split the vote but I guess the experts knew something that I (and Edmonton) didn't.  Hextall was still better that year though.

For sure.   Hextall would have joined Roy and Dryden had they won.    What a great goalie, and also what a great team.   Barrasso coming out of high school hockey and winning the Vezina at I think 18, is something I doubt we will ever see again.    Regardless of where anyone plays.   Was hoping Hart had some stuff.   Reality is MAF and before that Luongo, we're the last goalies to start playing right away, or almost right away and stick as number ones.     Make shootout wins and losses ties, same with OT wins and losses ties, because let's get real 3 x 3 is almost as gimmicky as the shoot-out considering it's a team game...and then show me a goalie who's going to get 400 wins like the old days before that stuff..:you pretty much have to start at age 20 or younger to have a chance at doing that.   There is a group of goalies in the 370-399 range, that deserve, or almost deserve the same respect as Henrik Lundqvist, but don't even get considered because of the eye popping career wins.   It's a pet peeve of mine.   If you take 85 or so of those wins, and make them ties ... yikes.   Then your right there with guys like Vernon, who actually won two cups with two different teams (and a Conn Smythe, and deservedly so).     Or Beezer who was regularly in the Vezina topic, and took a let's face it, mediocre at best team to the final (those vets were good, but they weren't their best good anymore)..   Osgood gained a ton of my respect, near the end of his career, and a deserving candidate for the Conn Smythe when they won and Zetterberg got it, and IF they won back to back, was by far Detroit's front runner for the Smythe that year.    Got out of the shadow of other guys like Hasek.    Starter for two cups, back up for one.   400 career wins, don't care if he played for great teams,  he for sure wasn't Corey Crawford. 

Edit:  Cujo almost won a Vezina, and think he got boned the year Kolzig did.     Was a lot like Luongo's Florida days while playing in EDM,  EDM was just a little bit better, but for sure both Cujo and Luongo were their big stars.    If Vachon gets his due, it's time to give some of these guys theirs.   Especially if it's a weaker class of HHOFers. 

Barrasso has long been considered a snub.   Vernon, Cujo and Osgood should get their due as well.   On a personal level, given how great those CAL teams were, and how many ridiculously great saves Vernon made against us in game 7, 1989 on the way to their cup, a team THN considers one of the best all-time ... why isn't he in the HHOF?  He's the best 5'7" goalie there ever existed.     Yet his claim to fame, other than holding his own against  Patrick Roy in a goalie fight lol.   That's how most younger fans even know who he is, according to THN again, and believe it, one of the most famous goalie fights ever, 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For sure.   Hextall would have joined Roy and Dryden had they won.    What a great goalie, and also what a great team.   Barrasso coming out of high school hockey and winning the Vezina at I think 18, is something I doubt we will ever see again.    Regardless of where anyone plays.   Was hoping Hart had some stuff.   Reality is MAF and before that Luongo, we're the last goalies to start playing right away, or almost right away and stick as number ones.     Make shootout wins and losses ties, same with OT wins and losses ties, because let's get real 3 x 3 is almost as gimmicky as the shoot-out considering it's a team game...and then show me a goalie who's going to get 400 wins like the old days before that stuff..:you pretty much have to start at age 20 or younger to have a chance at doing that.   There is a group of goalies in the 370-399 range, that deserve, or almost deserve the same respect as Henrik Lundqvist, but don't even get considered because of the eye popping career wins.   It's a pet peeve of mine.   If you take 85 or so of those wins, and make them ties ... yikes.   Then your right there with guys like Vernon, who actually won two cups with two different teams.     Or Beezer who was regularly in the Vezina topic.   Osgood gained a ton of my respect, near the end of his career, and a deserving candidate for the Conn Smythe when they won and Zetterberg got it, and IF they won back to back, was by far Detroit's front runner for the Smythe that year.    Got out of the shadow of other guys like Hasek.    Starter for two cups, back up for one.   400 career wins, don't care if he played for great teams,  he for sure wasn't Corey Crawford. 

Yeah Dick Duff and Kevin Lowe are in the Hall for being on several Cup winning teams.  Neither of them is close to where Osgood is relative to their position and career totals / rankings.  Those guys aren't really even where Trevor Linden and Cliff Ronning are in that regard.

Barrasso, Vernon and Hextall would all be in the Hall of Fame if I were running things.  Wouldn't rule out Mike Liut either but...seems one of my long overlooked guys gets in maybe once every five years at best.  Last one was Doug Wilson.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah Dick Duff and Kevin Lowe are in the Hall for being on several Cup winning teams.  Neither of them is close to where Osgood is relative to their position and career totals / rankings.  Those guys aren't really even where Trevor Linden and Cliff Ronning are in that regard.

Barrasso, Vernon and Hextall would all be in the Hall of Fame if I were running things.  Wouldn't rule out Mike Liut either but...seems one of my long overlooked guys gets in maybe once every five years at best.  Last one was Doug Wilson.

You bet.   Remember both you and I lamenting about Doug Wilson for awhile, and he got in.   Think Theo Fluery is also close.   And of course Mogilny.   Turgeon as well.   It's also hard to ignore any 500 goal scorers.   Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Brady and Mathews Dad get in, he was a monster in WNP, and hated him back then.   Tough to ignore what he did, and that 1996 US team is the best i've ever seen.   Those guys were inspired by the Miracle on Ice.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   Remember both you and I lamenting about Doug Wilson for awhile, and he got in.   Think Theo Fluery is also close.   And of course Mogilny.   Turgeon as well. 

Yeah it had been so long with Wilson that I had just given up.  Next up is project Bernie Nicholls.

Rogie Vachon is another one I had just written off and then was pleasantly surprised.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah it had been so long with Wilson that I had just given up.  Next up is project Bernie Nicholls.

Rogie Vachon is another one I had just written off and then was pleasantly surprised.

Think it's important to keep talking about these guys.   And glad that the people in charge have wisdom and perspective.   One of the metrics for getting in, is conduct.   You can have incredible conduct, and not the most eye popping numbers and get in, or the opposite, incredible numbers and less than what's considered ok, and then not get in.   My understanding is that Harvey wasn't voted in right away, because he enjoyed his beer too much, then when they voted him in, didn't come because he took that personally.    Watched the Sedins get their induction call, and they got in first ballot because they are such stand up, genuinely great people.   Over guys with better numbers.   Roenick played in a tough era too.   So did Turgeon.   Individual hardware im sure also counts for something.    At least they've got a good succession plan in place when Lanny hangs it up.   Speaking of which ... his numbers weren't as eye popping as some that still haven't made it in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Think it's important to keep talking about these guys.   And glad that the people in charge have wisdom and perspective.   One of the metrics for getting in, is conduct.   You can have incredible conduct, and not the most eye popping numbers and get in, or the opposite, incredible numbers and less than what's considered ok, and then not get in.   My understanding is that Harvey wasn't voted in right away, because he enjoyed his beer too much, then when they voted him in, didn't come because he took that personally.    Watched the Sedins get their induction call, and they got in first ballot because they are such stand up, genuinely great people.   Over guys with better numbers.   Roenick played in a tough era too.   So did Turgeon.   Individual hardware im sure also counts for something.    At least they've got a good succession plan in place when Lanny hangs it up.   Speaking of which ... his numbers weren't as eye popping as some that still haven't made it in. 

No, Lanny had his one crazy 60-something goal year in Calgary.  Otherwise he was basically Brian Propp.  Never quite 100 points in a season, 90 pointed their way to a thousand.  Lanny had his one Cup at the end as a role player.  Propp had five Cup finals.

I wonder if it's actually true that Pierre Turgeon was on the crap list all these years because he was the only guy that chickened out of the Punch Up in Piestany.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Turgeon sitting on the bench during the Canada-Russia brawl likely hurts his case.  I can't imagine a guy like Burke ever voting for him after that.  I personally would like to see CuJo get in.

• Cheers 1