Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens re-sign Caufield

7 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

terrible comparison using Cale Makar

Stanley Cup Champion

Conn Smythe

James Norris

Calder trophy

That's why he didnt get a bridge deal, and again not a prospect.

Q.Hughes did get a bridge deal, when his current contract expires he won't sign for more than the 7.850 he is currently making?

you're confusing a short term bridge deal vs a long term

a player drafted at 17/18 signs & plays his 3 year elc, at 20/21 now a rfa signs bridge deal, 26/27 he is now ufa looking for big money and term contract.

J.Hughes is a special talent like his older brother, after siging his long term deal, he's put up 155pts in 127 regular season games and 11pts in 12 playoff games.

Tage Thompson 

drafted in 2016

signed 3 year elc

contract expires

he is rfa

signs a 3 year extension at 1.4. (short term bridge)

in the final year of the contract that paid 1.4 he recorded 94pts

his 7.142 deal doesn't start until next season

Draisaitl 

Ted Lindsay trophy

Art Ross trophy 

Hart Memorial trophy 

drafted in 2014, signs 3 year elc.

plays 3 years, final season he produced 77pts in 82gp, playoffs that year 16 pts 13gp

signs his big money(below value) for 8.5m for 8 years

has produced four 100+ point seasons

638gp 744pts, playoffs 49gp 77 pts

Kotkaniemi aka cracky matthews

drafted and signs 3 year elc, plays 3 years in Montreal, 171 gp in 62pts, playoffs 12pts 29gp.

Montreal offer sheeted Aho,

Carolina does it back to Montreal as revenge and now has Kotkaniemi signed for 6.1m for 1 season, 29pts in 66gp. 2 pts in 14 playoff games.

now RFA again, signs 8x 4.820 contract, 82gp 43pts, playoffs 7pts 15gp

Boeser- had more going on than just hockey, you know his personal family life has been tragic since before he was ever a Canuck. he's also had a bunch of injuries too, maybe thats why he got a 2nd bridge deal? 

or maybe, just maybe that was his q.o? I think it might be.

drafted in 2015

signs 3 year elc

becomes rfa, signs 3x 5.850

contract expires

becomes rfa, signs 3x6.650 

CC has one thing that none of the players mentioned have, he doesnt have 100pts to his career before signing a long term contract as a RFA

(kotkaniemi is exception, offersheeted and wouldnt have gotten 6.1 if he stayed in mtl)

q.hughes missed 40 games during his elc, he had 86pts. he would have had over 100  points if healthy

Caulfield might get to 40, but i seriously doubt it. His lack of size and surgeries will not improve his chances of becoming better. 26g in 46gp while having hugely inflated o zone starts and zero responsibility to back check/kill penalties and a -35 in 123gp is pretty bad, especially once you add in his points totals of 83 pts

thats roughly 118 goals against with him on the ice in 123gp, no thanks and im upset Montreal signed him to that, hopefully I'm wrongnfor Montreal sake

Caufield put up 46 in 83 games under MSL. WITH the shoulder injury.  But sure. He’s not capable of putting up 40 a season lol 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Caufield put up 46 in 83 games under MSL. WITH the shoulder injury.  But sure. He’s not capable of putting up 40 a season lol 

again, with heavily inflated ozone starts, zero defensive/back checking responsibility.

being 5"7 and having your shoulder dislocated after falling to the ice in full hockey equipment isn't just a red flag, its all red.

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

again, with heavily inflated ozone starts, zero defensive/back checking responsibility.

being 5"7 and having your shoulder dislocated after falling to the ice in full hockey equipment isn't just a red flag, its all red.

Guess what. He’s their top line winger. So yeah. He’s going to get o-zone starts.  It’s not rocket science 

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

terrible comparison using Cale Makar

Stanley Cup Champion

Conn Smythe

James Norris

Calder trophy

That's why he didnt get a bridge deal, and again not a prospect.

Q.Hughes did get a bridge deal, when his current contract expires he won't sign for more than the 7.850 he is currently making?

you're confusing a short term bridge deal vs a long term

a player drafted at 17/18 signs & plays his 3 year elc, at 20/21 now a rfa signs bridge deal, 26/27 he is now ufa looking for big money and term contract.

J.Hughes is a special talent like his older brother, after siging his long term deal, he's put up 155pts in 127 regular season games and 11pts in 12 playoff games.

Tage Thompson 

drafted in 2016

signed 3 year elc

contract expires

he is rfa

signs a 3 year extension at 1.4. (short term bridge)

in the final year of the contract that paid 1.4 he recorded 94pts

his 7.142 deal doesn't start until next season

Draisaitl 

Ted Lindsay trophy

Art Ross trophy 

Hart Memorial trophy 

drafted in 2014, signs 3 year elc.

plays 3 years, final season he produced 77pts in 82gp, playoffs that year 16 pts 13gp

signs his big money(below value) for 8.5m for 8 years

has produced four 100+ point seasons

638gp 744pts, playoffs 49gp 77 pts

Kotkaniemi aka cracky matthews

drafted and signs 3 year elc, plays 3 years in Montreal, 171 gp in 62pts, playoffs 12pts 29gp.

Montreal offer sheeted Aho,

Carolina does it back to Montreal as revenge and now has Kotkaniemi signed for 6.1m for 1 season, 29pts in 66gp. 2 pts in 14 playoff games.

now RFA again, signs 8x 4.820 contract, 82gp 43pts, playoffs 7pts 15gp

Boeser- had more going on than just hockey, you know his personal family life has been tragic since before he was ever a Canuck. he's also had a bunch of injuries too, maybe thats why he got a 2nd bridge deal? 

or maybe, just maybe that was his q.o? I think it might be.

drafted in 2015

signs 3 year elc

becomes rfa, signs 3x 5.850

contract expires

becomes rfa, signs 3x6.650 

CC has one thing that none of the players mentioned have, he doesnt have 100pts to his career before signing a long term contract as a RFA

(kotkaniemi is exception, offersheeted and wouldnt have gotten 6.1 if he stayed in mtl)

q.hughes missed 40 games during his elc, he had 86pts. he would have had over 100  points if healthy

Caulfield might get to 40, but i seriously doubt it. His lack of size and surgeries will not improve his chances of becoming better. 26g in 46gp while having hugely inflated o zone starts and zero responsibility to back check/kill penalties and a -35 in 123gp is pretty bad, especially once you add in his points totals of 83 pts

thats roughly 118 goals against with him on the ice in 123gp, no thanks and im upset Montreal signed him to that, hopefully I'm wrongnfor Montreal sake

Oh goodness... what a ridiculous response.  Just think for one second before you post.  What YOU are saying is that Colorado re-signed Makar in July 2021 knowing that he would win the Norris/Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup in 2022.  You're saying that Edmonton re-signed Draisaitl in 2017 knowing that he would win Lindsay/Art Ross/Hart in 2020.  How stupid can this get?

How the hell do players/managers know what's gonna happen after they sign?  I'm not looking at Makar/KK/Draisaitl as they are NOW.  Did Makar have a Norris when he signed in July 2021?  No.  Did he have cup or Conn Smythe?  No.  What did Draisaitl have at the time of the signing?  Two solid years but no awards.

All these players got extended based off their potential.  Draisaitl was not a $9M player at the time of his extension.  Jack Hughes was not an $8M player at the time of his extension.  We don't know whether Caufield is going to live up to his contract or not, but it's a gamble Montreal is willing to take.  And judging by what we've seen of him so far, it's a reasonable gamble to boot.  I can't believe someone actually had to explain this to you.

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If there is any doubt about it, then it's probably an equal risk to sign your best young players to bridge contracts.

He is very small.  But that's who the Habs drafted and there's nothing wrong with extending your own guys.

No, if a player hits UFA at 30 the way Miller did, they would earn less money on their deal.  This is one of the reasons why Horvat earned more money than Miller - despite producing less over the years, he is two years younger.  I find that players at the tail end of their prime are typically extended to a little less because everyone understands what it means.

In any case, we did get 3 cheap years out of Pettersson.  Look where that got us.  Look what we did with those cap savings.  Nothing.

I don’t think Horvat and Miller are good comparable for Peterson.  They are great players but Peterson, although still early, looks destined to be among the Elites.  

In recent years signing like Doughty, Pietrangelo and Tavares comes to mind for comparable.  All got pretty good contracts for 28-30 years old UFA.  Tavares was younger than Petey would be only because he came into the league earlier.

ridiculous is ignoring what you yourself stated previously in this very thread, stirred the pot, got the meal and you didnt like it. eat up!

stupid is letting your emotions get the best of you and attack others, yet again.

#facts

so how does caulfied compare to Draisaitl, q Hughes, j hughes, kotkaniemi, thompson and boeser?

defend your argument, you compared caulfied to atleast 1 future hall of famer.

reading and comprehension, what has caufield done thats even close to Draisaitl, thompson, the hughes bros and even bb6? 

I'll wait for the evidence of a 5"7 goal scorer coming off of 83pts over 3 season, getting shoulder surgery and then getting that contract.

those were the players YOU brought into the conversation, not I.

defend your argument with out getting upset, thx

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Oh goodness... what a ridiculous response.  Just think for one second before you post.  What YOU are saying is that Colorado re-signed Makar in July 2021 knowing that he would win the Norris/Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup in 2022.  You're saying that Edmonton re-signed Draisaitl in 2017 knowing that he would win Lindsay/Art Ross/Hart in 2020.  How stupid can this get?

How the hell do players/managers know what's gonna happen after they sign?  I'm not looking at Makar/KK/Draisaitl as they are NOW.  Did Makar have a Norris when he signed in July 2021?  No.  Did he have cup or Conn Smythe?  No.  What did Draisaitl have at the time of the signing?  Two solid years but no awards.

All these players got extended based off their potential.  Draisaitl was not a $9M player at the time of his extension.  Jack Hughes was not an $8M player at the time of his extension.  We don't know whether Caufield is going to live up to his contract or not, but it's a gamble Montreal is willing to take.  And judging by what we've seen of him so far, it's a reasonable gamble to boot.  I can't believe someone actually had to explain this to you.

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Care to explain what makes you think this? Sports rehabilitation just so happens to be something I'm quite experienced in and I completely disagree with this statement.

It was a a Labrum surgery after an injury he was playing through. Without knowing for certain since they don't release these types of specifics, likely a SLAP lesion. Given that he was playing and then had to be shut down by a further injury, likely not that serious. Much the same situation as Mikheyev's knee.

But I'm curious to why "falling to the ice in full hockey equipment" makes this so serious in your opinion.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Care to explain what makes you think this? Sports rehabilitation just so happens to be something I'm quite experienced in and I completely disagree with this statement.

It was a a Labrum surgery after an injury he was playing through. Without knowing for certain since they don't release these types of specifics, likely a SLAP lesion. Given that he was playing and then had to be shut down by a further injury, likely not that serious. Much the same situation as Mikheyev's knee.

But I'm curious to why "falling to the ice in full hockey equipment" makes this so serious in your opinion.

thats how he dislocated his shoulder the 2nd time, a young man in pro hockey with strength and conditioning like his should never have had that happen. mr sports medicine, even if a person has surgery on their shoulder- it will never be as good or better than if they never had the injury in the first place.

lets see caufield all 174lbs receives a shoulder to shoulder check against a 200lb+ player with a combined speed of 25km, wonder what gives way first? won't be his shoulder as it was surgically repaired, right?:rolleyes:

if you can't put your arms out to brace yourself from a fall as a pro hockey player (happens every game) without popping your shoulder out than that is a major concern.

I've had injuries, surgeries, physiotherapy even had a professional sports therapist for a cut achilles tendon(similar to what Matt Cooke did to Erik Karlsson) that was surgically repaired and will never be the same or better then it was, I was even younger the caulfield and had a better chance at recovery then an adult would.

but please share your wisdom, your experience supercedes mine as a professional and I've only been a patient and client.

17 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

thats how he dislocated his shoulder the 2nd time, a young man in pro hockey with strength and conditioning like his should never have had that happen. mr sports medicine, even if a person has surgery on their shoulder- it will never be as good or better than if they never had the injury in the first place.

lets see caufield all 174lbs receives a shoulder to shoulder check against a 200lb+ player with a combined speed of 25km, wonder what gives way first? won't be his shoulder as it was surgically repaired, right?:rolleyes:

if you can't put your arms out to brace yourself from a fall as a pro hockey player (happens every game) without popping your shoulder out than that is a major concern.

I've had injuries, surgeries, physiotherapy even had a professional sports therapist for a cut achilles tendon(similar to what Matt Cooke did to Erik Karlsson) that was surgically repaired and will never be the same or better then it was, I was even younger the caulfield and had a better chance at recovery then an adult would.

but please share your wisdom, your experience supercedes mine as a professional and I've only been a patient and client.

Yes, a repaired shoulder will never be as good as what you get to start with. But often a SLAP (or any labral year) can be more then adequately supported through a proper strengthening plan, something I'm sure he will have access to. It's highly likely he will gain well formed muscle because of this injury and will be in better shape then before the injury. Sure, structurally his shouldn't may have some insufficiencies, but for a pro athlete proper strength can more then compensate. At least during his playing career.

As for falling down and hurting yourself, that is simply just incorrect. Anyone could fall a million times, but that doesn't mean that the perfect angle couldn't cause way more damage then you'd expect. Particularly when you're playing a contact sport. The amount of times I've seen a powerlifter pop out their SI joint picking up their kid, and a triathlete roll an ankle stepping off their bike is staggering. 

Sorry to hear about your Achilles, you are 100% correct on that injury. Surgically repaired Achilles are incredibly temperamental. Surgery often isn't even performed unless you can get in within the first couple hours. The majority ruptured Achilles just end up balled up like a sock in the back of your calf. Entirely different injury then a Labrum though which has exceedingly high success rates.

All surgery is bad surgery. But litterally nothing in this case is even remotely as big as a deal as how you described it. I have no skin in the game, I don't even like Caulfield. I'm just strictly addressing the injury because talking about sports rehabilitation is something I do enjoy.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Yup. Not winning anything with a player like Caufield payed like a core piece. New management in Montreal has had a very poor couple years. Wasted 1OA pick, wasted 13OA on Dach. Gave up a great, young Russian D. Lost Kotkaniemi for pretty much nothing. And now this overpay for CC. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

ridiculous is ignoring what you yourself stated previously in this very thread, stirred the pot, got the meal and you didnt like it. eat up!

stupid is letting your emotions get the best of you and attack others, yet again.

#facts

so how does caulfied compare to Draisaitl, q Hughes, j hughes, kotkaniemi, thompson and boeser?

defend your argument, you compared caulfied to atleast 1 future hall of famer.

reading and comprehension, what has caufield done thats even close to Draisaitl, thompson, the hughes bros and even bb6? 

I'll wait for the evidence of a 5"7 goal scorer coming off of 83pts over 3 season, getting shoulder surgery and then getting that contract.

those were the players YOU brought into the conversation, not I.

defend your argument with out getting upset, thx

Every player i mentioned teams were not entirely sure how they'd pan out.  Maybe they would win trophies, or maybe they'd turn into Jeff Skinner.  Who would've known.  Who knows what Caufield brings.  Every person here who thinks good or bad or whatever can't see the future.  Maybe he will be healthy or maybe he won't.   But suggesting that Caufield is not like the others because of what they achieved AFTER signing the new contracts is a new level of ridiculous.  Use your brain.

35 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yes, a repaired shoulder will never be as good as what you get to start with. But often a SLAP (or any labral year) can be more then adequately supported through a proper strengthening plan, something I'm sure he will have access to. It's highly likely he will gain well formed muscle because of this injury and will be in better shape then before the injury. Sure, structurally his shouldn't may have some insufficiencies, but for a pro athlete proper strength can more then compensate. At least during his playing career.

As for falling down and hurting yourself, that is simply just incorrect. Anyone could fall a million times, but that doesn't mean that the perfect angle couldn't cause way more damage then you'd expect. Particularly when you're playing a contact sport. The amount of times I've seen a powerlifter pop out their SI joint picking up their kid, and a triathlete roll an ankle stepping off their bike is staggering. 

Sorry to hear about your Achilles, you are 100% correct on that injury. Surgically repaired Achilles are incredibly temperamental. Surgery often isn't even performed unless you can get in within the first couple hours. The majority ruptured Achilles just end up balled up like a sock in the back of your calf. Entirely different injury then a Labrum though which has exceedingly high success rates.

All surgery is bad surgery. But litterally nothing in this case is even remotely as big as a deal as how you described it. I have no skin in the game, I don't even like Caulfield. I'm just strictly addressing the injury because talking about sports rehabilitation is something I do enjoy.

Unfortunately my achilles injury was a complete and full cut from a skate, I shoulder a guy as I lifted his stick and fell to the ice, player behind me stepped on my ankle I didn't feel the cut at first just the pressure, got up and went to push off and yeah, it was bad. literally like a fish flopping around on the ice.

I had emergency surgery within a few hours, i dont remember anything after the paramedics took me to rch

thanks for the compassion sir!

It's not a personal dislike for CC, More of a wth has he done to even come close to have earned that contract, displeasure with management in MTL, Montreal is my 2nd favorite team. I'm just going by the reports and my own experience with injuries and surgeries.

Not against CC having a 1-3 year bridge as he'd still be an rfa and have more time to prove himself. 

16 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Every player i mentioned teams were not entirely sure how they'd pan out.  Maybe they would win trophies, or maybe they'd turn into Jeff Skinner.  Who would've known.  Who knows what Caufield brings.  Every person here who thinks good or bad or whatever can't see the future.  Maybe he will be healthy or maybe he won't.   But suggesting that Caufield is not like the others because of what they achieved AFTER signing the new contracts is a new level of ridiculous.  Use your brain.

reading and comprehension, i posted what CC has done vs others on elc that you brought into the conversation as comparables

why some got bridge deals and why some do not.

why CC doesnt deserve 8 years of security and yet you completely ignore it.

In the words of a favorite tv show of mines lead character

"This is overdue"

*blocked*

:towel:

Yo we are heated up in here. It's okay to have different opinions. One isn't right and one isn't wrong. This may work out, it may not. There's historical evidence both ways. Lol. Lets just focus on what matters, how does this signing affect Lebron I mean the Cowboys. Wait no, one more time. The Leafs. Yeah that's it.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yo we are heated up in here. It's okay to have different opinions. One isn't right and one isn't wrong. This may work out, it may not. There's historical evidence both ways. Lol. Lets just focus on what matters, how does this signing affect Lebron I mean the Cowboys. Wait no, one more time. The Leafs. Yeah that's it.

It's dead wrong when you're trying to differentiate between Caufield and other players signed long-term because of what they achieved AFTER being extended.  He is literally suggesting Draisaitl got paid what he got because he would win the Hart trophy three years later.  That's just wrong.  Pure stupidity.  Nothing more to it.

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

It's dead wrong when you're trying to differentiate between Caufield and other players signed long-term because of what they achieved AFTER being extended.  He is literally suggesting Draisaitl got paid what he got because he would win the Hart trophy three years later.  That's just wrong.  Pure stupidity.  Nothing more to it.

image.gif.77be74da44e0e714a5e262c4e7633b8a.gif

• Vintage 1