The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Blue Jackets acquire Ivan Provorov; Flyers acquire Cal Petersen, Sean Walker, Helge Grans, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, conditional 2024 2nd-round pick; Kings acquire Kevin Connauton, Hayden Hodgson

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd probably do it

We'd need a goaltender but man, getting Carlsson, Johnson, and a guy who could pass as top 4 on our D would be a win 

I would too.  I think you would have to take it and find goaltending somewhere else.  Silovs may be close, but likely not ready for anything more than a 1B.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Kekaleinen talked of how he wanted to add veterans this off-season to help their young players grow.  Says that they've been put in situation they weren't ready for.  Not sure they plan on giving those young players up though.  

CBJ just made several high end picks - Jiricek, Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko + now 3rd - those were their rebuilding pieces and they don't need to stay stuck at the bottom longer (it wasn't even the plan - they weren't tanking).  So it does make sense to now try to climb back out.  But is the plan really to give those pieces up to go for it immediately or rather find a way to surround them with veterans so that they can continue to grow and have their window open up once these guys are ready.  

It's a good question. I think Miller could be a compete and growth piece. Right now their top center is Jenner and then you've got Roslovic. Johnson could potentially be a center, Sillinger is a center. Miller would be an upgrade on all of these guys for the forseeable future and he's an Ohio guy even if he did grow up a Pens fan. Theyve already got a big vet in Gaudreau, they've got Laine. Throw in Miller and Provorov and maybe theyd be a playoff team sooner than later. 

If the idea is to shift the culture by being genuinely competitive while bringing their prospects along it'd make sense.

I don't think they'd be willing to spend much in the way of prospects, Johnson may be dreaming a bit. But hey, if they were open to a deal involving Miller and the 3OA I'd definitely be exploring it, isn't Allvin reported to really like Carlsson? Columbus has two young centers in Sillinger and Johnson already. 

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would too.  I think you would have to take it and find goaltending somewhere else.  Silovs may be close, but likely not ready for anything more than a 1B.

I'd be fine with a stopgap tender, I question Demko's future here anyway which is why I've proposed moving him a couple times over the past season. Get a stud center prospect at 3OA and it fits our window much better imo. 

I'd be open to retaining Demko of course, but yeah something around Miller and the 3OA would absolutely be intriguing. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Honestly, I'm so relieved the Kings re-signed Gavrikov... I was worried the Canucks were gonna sign him to another defensive albatross contract. Now the Kings do that instead. Smile.

Bingo. Free agency sucks 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, that's a high price to pay to dump $6 million in salary...

Undoubtedly, smart of them to set the market for cap dumping before someone else though 

Doesn't bode well for us 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Undoubtedly, smart of them to set the market for cap dumping before someone else though 

Doesn't bode well for us 

Yup, that is the market now.  Just to dump Beauvillier's contract will be a minimum 2nd round pick.  I think Allvin is on the phone right now with Columbus before they make any more moves.  IMO, Miller 100% is on the table for the 3OA...

• Like 2
  • elephant 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup, that is the market now.  Just to dump Beauvillier's contract will be a minimum 2nd round pick.  I think Allvin is on the phone right now with Columbus before they make any more moves.  IMO, Miller 100% is on the table for the 3OA...

It makes a lot of sense, Miller is the easiest piece we could use to dump cap while getting value 

Dumping cap will cost us otherwise 

• Cheers 1