Canucks Community

[Proposal] Some Significant Moves to Take the Next Step Forward

Trade #1

To VAN:

Marcus Pettersson

To PIT:

Conor Garland

Jack Rathbone

Penguins have POJ and Dumoulin ready to play top 4 LHD.  Their RHD is set with Letang and Petry.  There was smoke around Pettersson this past season, and after missing the playoffs for the 1st time in years, the Penguins are ready to make some bigger splashes.  Garland gives them a real sparkplug up front.  Playing with somebody like Malkin could see Garland hitting the 50 to 60 point totals again.  Rathbone gets a fresh start with a very reputable franchise.

Trade #2

To VAN:

Colton Sissons

To NAS:

Nils Hoglander

3rd Round Pick

Sounds like NAS wants to re-align their talent with guys in their mid to early 20s.  Sissons is 29 now and with the emergence of Glass and Novak, Sissons becomes expendable.  They acquire a very good prospect in Hoglander and more draft capital.  Canucks get a very good 3C locked in for a few more years at a good cap hit.

Trade #3

To VAN

5th Round Pick

To 3rd Party (50% retention)

3rd Round Pick

To COL

Tyler Myers

Really?  Myers to COL?  Yup.  Erik Johnson is done there.  What the Avs need is another big, solid, veteran on the 3rd pair.  Canucks pay a 3rd round pick to the 3rd party team to retain 50%, but regain a 5th round pick.   

Would be great to bring Schenn back, but if not, I think we need Bear back.

Beauviller-Petey-Kuzmenko

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Sissons-Mcdonough?

PDG-Aman-Joshua

Hughes-Bear or Schenn

Pettersson-Hronek

OEL-Juulsen/Burroughs/Johansson

If Pearson and/or Poolman should return mid-season, we would have enough cap space to bring them both back into the mix.  Would be a really nice boost.  I'd actually want to see them both back if it meant we could ice a roster like this:

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Sissons-Podkolzin

Mcdonough/PDG-Aman-Joshua

Hughes-Bear/Schenn

Pettersson-Hronek

OEL-Poolman

I'd do trade #1, probably wouldn't do #2.

I question Myers to Colorado though, Colorado has better quality RD and could likely find a bottom pairing guy with size for cheaper than what Myers would cost. Their biggest need is finding a 2C if Compher elects to explore UFA. Newhook may eventually be that guy but I don't think he's there yet. This trade seems like more of a deal that helps us more than it helps them, even at 50%. 

Colorado also won't have Landeskog at all next season, if they're going to allocate resources anywhere it's almost certainly going to be their top six imo. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Trade #1

To VAN:

Marcus Pettersson

To PIT:

Conor Garland

Jack Rathbone

Penguins have POJ and Dumoulin ready to play top 4 LHD.  Their RHD is set with Letang and Petry.  There was smoke around Pettersson this past season, and after missing the playoffs for the 1st time in years, the Penguins are ready to make some bigger splashes.  Garland gives them a real sparkplug up front.  Playing with somebody like Malkin could see Garland hitting the 50 to 60 point totals again.  Rathbone gets a fresh start with a very reputable franchise.

Trade #2

To VAN:

Colton Sissons

To NAS:

Nils Hoglander

3rd Round Pick

Sounds like NAS wants to re-align their talent with guys in their mid to early 20s.  Sissons is 29 now and with the emergence of Glass and Novak, Sissons becomes expendable.  They acquire a very good prospect in Hoglander and more draft capital.  Canucks get a very good 3C locked in for a few more years at a good cap hit.

Trade #3

To VAN

5th Round Pick

To 3rd Party (50% retention)

3rd Round Pick

To COL

Tyler Myers

Really?  Myers to COL?  Yup.  Erik Johnson is done there.  What the Avs need is another big, solid, veteran on the 3rd pair.  Canucks pay a 3rd round pick to the 3rd party team to retain 50%, but regain a 5th round pick.   

Would be great to bring Schenn back, but if not, I think we need Bear back.

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Sissons-Mcdonough?

PDG-Aman-Joshua

Hughes-Bear or Schenn

Pettersson-Hronek

OEL-Juulsen/Burroughs/Johansson

If Pearson and/or Poolman should return mid-season, we would have enough cap space to bring them both back into the mix.  Would be a really nice boost.  I'd actually want to see them both back if it meant we could ice a roster like this:

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Sissons-Podkolzin

Mcdonough/PDG-Aman-Joshua

Hughes-Bear/Schenn

Pettersson-Hronek

OEL-Poolman

Adding Poolman in would be a really nice boost?

nana changing GIF

Not entirely sure why you think their RD is set. Petry is washed, Letang has two maybe three years left and Dumoulin was a huge liability for them this year who’s also a pending UFA. Almost no chance they move Pettersson unless it’s for that rumoured Miller deal that fell through. 

Edited by Pears

I've been big on Marcus Pettersson lately but he is a top pairing shutdown 27 year old defenceman on a 4M cap hit - Garland is a cap dump. If we want him he's going to cost Boeser + Rathbone IMO at the very least. Pittsburgh do have POJ coming through but they're desperate and want to win now, and get a lot worse on defence by losing Pettersson.

Maybe if they make a deal with us involving Boeser and Petey 3.0, they go out and sign Graves to fill the hole and it's not as big a problem for them? He plays big minutes, is a great skater and 2-way guy but really excels defensively - the perfect top-4 LD for this team to play with Hronek to unlock him offensively. We'd have to bury OEL and Myers on our bottom pairing but I don't mind having a silly 13M bottom pairing if you have an 8M top pairing of Pettersson-Hronek and suddenly Hughes has a lot less defensive responsibilities. We could play any chum with Hughes on the 2nd pairing and basically treat Quinn as a 4th forward.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I've been big on Marcus Pettersson lately but he is a top pairing shutdown 27 year old defenceman on a 4M cap hit - Garland is a cap dump. If we want him he's going to cost Boeser + Rathbone IMO at the very least. Pittsburgh do have POJ coming through but they're desperate and want to win now, and get a lot worse on defence by losing Pettersson.

Maybe if they make a deal with us involving Boeser and Petey 3.0, they go out and sign Graves to fill the hole and it's not as big a problem for them? He plays big minutes, is a great skater and 2-way guy but really excels defensively - the perfect top-4 LD for this team to play with Hronek to unlock him offensively. We'd have to bury OEL and Myers on our bottom pairing but I don't mind having a silly 13M bottom pairing if you have an 8M top pairing of Pettersson-Hronek and suddenly Hughes has a lot less defensive responsibilities. We could play any chum with Hughes on the 2nd pairing and basically treat Quinn as a 4th forward.

I'd be happy with that.  Just wouldn't think PIT would wanna take on Boeser's cap hit. 

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd be happy with that.  Just wouldn't think PIT would wanna take on Boeser's cap hit. 

What if we ate up 1-1.25M of it? I think they'd bite. They have a surprising amount of cap space, 20M, with about half a crop of forwards to sign, a goalie and maybe a depth defenceman. They could easily make it work, especially with a couple of depth UFA signings.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What if we ate up 1-1.25M of it? I think they'd bite. They have a surprising amount of cap space, 20M, with about half a crop of forwards to sign, a goalie and maybe a depth defenceman. They could easily make it work, especially with a couple of depth UFA signings.

I'd be ok with that.  Doesn't really save us any cap though.

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd be ok with that.  Doesn't really save us any cap though.

Realistically we'd have to look elsewhere for that.

I'd honestly be happy tying our 3rd to Garland to get rid of him and get nothing back. 5M in cap space we could sign a 3C like Kampf or Acciari for 2M and the last 3M goes to everyone's raises.

So essentially, this off-season:

IN: Pettersson, Kampf

OUT: Boeser, Garland, 3rd, Rathbone

On 6/13/2023 at 9:20 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Realistically we'd have to look elsewhere for that.

I'd honestly be happy tying our 3rd to Garland to get rid of him and get nothing back. 5M in cap space we could sign a 3C like Kampf or Acciari for 2M and the last 3M goes to everyone's raises.

So essentially, this off-season:

IN: Pettersson, Kampf

OUT: Boeser, Garland, 3rd, Rathbone

You are so off on your Garland evaluation. 

Compare him to Anasthasiou who just got 4.25 mil/year. 

Garland is not a "cap dump". 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I sure hope you’re right and we can move off Garland’s whole cap. The Benning stain has to be removed. 

17 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

AA at 4.25M is a joke and I think the whole league knows it. From a lot of the reports that have come it out it sounds like we'd have to add to get rid of Garland. I know he's got a lot of value and still some potential, but if he was an easy piece to move for an asset I think it would have happened by now.