The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The value of Noah Hanifin and Brett Pesch

I don't expect us to be in on either play in all honesty, but we're entering the dog days of summer so I figured what the hell. The price to acquire either would be huge. 

Hanifin will be 27 in January, he's an LD. He's not expected to extend in Calgary. Given he belongs to a divisional rival I reckon the acquisition cost would likely be too steep. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2665194/report-hanifin-not-expected-to-extend-with-flames-trade-likely

Carolina is one of the best defensive teams in the league, in part due to the play of Pesce, they reportedly won't go into next season with him if he's not extended. Pesce is an RD but he'll be 29 in November, he seems like the kind of a player someone who is closer to contention would go after. It's worth noting that Carolina does want to keep him. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2664914/report-canes-will-trade-pesce-if-extension-isnt-signed

He's not on our radar but I found it interesting that Karlsson may be on his way out, it's the smart move on San Jose's part, allows them to actually bottom out. San Jose would be wise to retain 50% of his contract and get the biggest haul they can, they wont be seriously competing any time soon anyway and it'd still free up half his cap space. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2664913/report-sharks-karlsson-aligned-on-trading-him

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Why do we want a guy, Hanifin, who won't sign?

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/nhl/flames-star-defenseman-unwilling-to-sign-extension/ar-AA1cEvnm?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=592def04ad524da6a4ffd7b7dd92a800&ei=31

This is like Tkapuke's kid.  

Trying to write his own destination & contract a year early.

I'm not arguing that we do.. 

But Calgary's at a bit of a crossroads, more than likely they attempt a retool than a rebuild. Maybe Hanifin doesn't want to be part of a retool? If anything one could argue that Hanifin making his intentions clear does Calgary a favour as they'll at least get value back via trade. If anything Hanifin just watched them lose Gaudreau for nothing and is looking to do them a solid, Calgary can't afford to lose high value players for nothing and Hanifin will be a UFA after this coming season. 

This isn't an RFA scenario. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I don't expect us to be in on either play in all honesty, but we're entering the dog days of summer so I figured what the hell. The price to acquire either would be huge. 

Hanifin will be 27 in January, he's an LD. He's not expected to extend in Calgary. Given he belongs to a divisional rival I reckon the acquisition cost would likely be too steep. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2665194/report-hanifin-not-expected-to-extend-with-flames-trade-likely

Carolina is one of the best defensive teams in the league, in part due to the play of Pesce, they reportedly won't go into next season with him if he's not extended. Pesce is an RD but he'll be 29 in November, he seems like the kind of a player someone who is closer to contention would go after. It's worth noting that Carolina does want to keep him. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2664914/report-canes-will-trade-pesce-if-extension-isnt-signed

He's not on our radar but I found it interesting that Karlsson may be on his way out, it's the smart move on San Jose's part, allows them to actually bottom out. San Jose would be wise to retain 50% of his contract and get the biggest haul they can, they wont be seriously competing any time soon anyway and it'd still free up half his cap space. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2664913/report-sharks-karlsson-aligned-on-trading-him

Calgary would do much better holding onto him until the deadline. If he's healthy, he's easily worth a 1st and a solid prospect on an expiring trade, especially if they can find another team (Arizona) to eat half his cap hit.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Calgary would do much better holding onto him until the deadline. If he's healthy, he's easily worth a 1st and a solid prospect on an expiring trade, especially if they can find another team (Arizona) to eat half his cap hit.

The problem with that is they risk him getting hurt or having his production drop off. Hanifin just put up 38 points last season, 48 the season before, there would likely be no shortage of interesting LD or not. 

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not arguing that we do.. 

But Calgary's at a bit of a crossroads, more than likely they attempt a retool than a rebuild. Maybe Hanifin doesn't want to be part of a retool? If anything one could argue that Hanifin making his intentions clear does Calgary a favour as they'll at least get value back via trade. If anything Hanifin just watched them lose Gaudreau for nothing and is looking to do them a solid, Calgary can't afford to lose high value players for nothing and Hanifin will be a UFA after this coming season. 

This isn't an RFA scenario. 

Hanifin does want out.  

Just trying to control his circumstance a year in advance of free agency.  As mentioned, it worked for Tkachuk.  It's gunna backfire on someone who thinks their sh!t is good enough to pull this off. But really isn't...

Hanafin is good, but a step down from Matthew.  Most guys have to wait for the market to bid UFA.  Here they have to pay assets and top UFA dollars.  At least the Flames get a chance on a return is the only positive.  But their trade options are limited to who 'he will sign with.'  Let's see if it works for him.

I'd rather just sign Graves for 5M than give up a player for Hanifin but if Graves goes, I'd give up Boeser for Hanifin. They will want scoring, makes sense, not sure if that's enough or if we need to add a defenceman like Rathbone or Burroughs because Hanifin is pretty much their top minute LD man.

I think Pesce's value is probably similar, both teams would probably ask for Miller, we'd counter with Boeser + bottom pairing defenceman and it'd be interesting...

11 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Just re sign Luke Schenn please, can play anywhere from 4-8 and will be way cheaper.

Yes for sure he's on my wish list.   He's not going to cost much money, or term.    We just cleared enough cap space for him.   Think we need to target Soucy as well, won't get as much as Graves will.   Both Schenn and Soucy add a lot of grit and toughness our team simply doesn't have a lot of.   Soucy and Whitecloud, both impressed me in the bubble. 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Would love Pesce, but I'd rather just sign Graves or Soucy over giving up assets AND cap for Hanifin

Soucy for me anyways.   Pesce sure would be nice.   Hanafin doesn't seem likely at all given it's CAL.    Don't have much trade history with either Alberta  team.   Suppose that could change.  

Given the team decided to buyout OEL, rather than spend assets to dump useful players, hope that is a sign they will be awfully smart about trading futures.    

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Schenn likely stays in Toronto imo

Possibly.    Do think when we traded him, the team did it in the most considerate way, including who we picked to trade him to.   Schenn will get plenty of suitors.    Maybe he likes the direction the teams going, especially if we add some more grit.    TO thought that's what they were trading for (hits, grit and leadership) instead they got arguably their second or third best D.   Guys a warrior and has an extra gear.   If we can get him back, play him on the third pairing,  could see him doing what Mitchell did for LA.    Would be comfortable with a 2 or even 3 year deal.   At 3 or 2.5ish. 

16 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Just re sign Luke Schenn please, can play anywhere from 4-8 and will be way cheaper.

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Schenn likely stays in Toronto imo

Report: Maple Leafs 'Not Close' on New Contract for Luke Schenn

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/news/report-maple-leafs-not-close-on-new-contract-for-luke-schenn

2 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Report: Maple Leafs 'Not Close' on New Contract for Luke Schenn

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/news/report-maple-leafs-not-close-on-new-contract-for-luke-schenn

I saw that, doesn't mean it doesn't get done though

I reckon Schenn is looking for something in the range of 3x2+

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Soucy for me anyways.   Pesce sure would be nice.   Hanafin doesn't seem likely at all given it's CAL.    Don't have much trade history with either Alberta  team.   Suppose that could change.  

Given the team decided to buyout OEL, rather than spend assets to dump useful players, hope that is a sign they will be awfully smart about trading futures.    

What kind of contract do you think Soucy would be after as a pending UFA? I wouldn't mind him depending on the term and cap hit, any idea if he is used in a PK role?

• Cheers 1