The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Part of the big reason why the team failed so much. OEL was overplayed and not only was incapable of top 4 minutes, he showed that he is not even worthy to be in this league 

(same with Myers)

He belongs in the league still. 
Just at a far lower salary and less responsibility. Dude’s been playing injured during a fair portion of his tenure with the club. He’s a bit beat up, imho. 
He’ll be a great addition for a playoff contender. So much experience and poise, not to mention he’ll be so hungry to chase a cup. He’s still a solid veteran Dman. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Part of the big reason why the team failed so much. OEL was overplayed and not only was incapable of top 4 minutes, he showed that he is not even worthy to be in this league 

(same with Myers)

Both him and myers over played to the point of exhaustion.  adding hronek should help limit Myers minutes. 

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

He belongs in the league still. 
Just at a far lower salary and less responsibility. Dude’s been playing injured during a fair portion of his tenure with the club. He’s a bit beat up, imho. 
He’ll be a great addition for a playoff contender. So much experience and poise, not to mention he’ll be so hungry to chase a cup. He’s still a solid veteran Dman. 

Disagree. OEL and Myers were statistically the worst pairing in the entire NHL. OEL is terrible and not on any contending team’s radar

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Disagree. OEL and Myers were statistically the worst pairing in the entire NHL. OEL is terrible and not on any contending team’s radar

Well one year prove yourself contract he might get a look by more then we think.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

OELs numbers improved dramatically when paired with anyone except Myers 

100% guarantee he’s gonna play like a 4m dollar defenseman wherever he signs next 

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Doubt that. If anyone played to exhaustion, that was Quinn Hughes 

Larger players tire out quickly  especially when their being deployed in all situations. when u start seeing both Myers and OEL literally  swimming on the ice trying to regain position , you gotta know there both being over utilized. 

9 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

100% guarantee he’s gonna play like a 4m dollar defenseman wherever he signs next 

Not a chance in hell.  Literally zero.

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Incidentally, Erik Karlsson is 32 years old.  But let's get one thing out of the way: his resurgence is not as groundbreaking as people make it out to be.  His underlying offense didn't suddenly change awaken overnight.  He just started scoring more this year.

Could contain: Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen, Scoreboard, Text

The biggest issue with him in San Jose is that he's getting paid way too much.  Hopefully this helps people come to terms with the fact that Karlsson was always a fantastic offensive D-man even before this year.

Compare this to OEL's "resurgence":

Could contain: Symbol, Number, Text, Chart, Plot

Bless his soul for trying, but OEL was already a trash player when he got traded to us.  It didn't make any sense to trade up for one of the worst contracts in the league.  This past season was him playing the exact same way he performed in Arizona:

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Chart

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Gentleman’s bet that that’s exactly where he ends up; a contender?

8 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Doubt that. If anyone played to exhaustion, that was Quinn Hughes 

Just now, chon derry said:

Larger players tire out quickly  especially when their being deployed in all situations. when u start seeing both Myers and OEL literally  swimming on the ice trying to regain position , you gotta know there both being over utilized. 

And I’ll stand by my comment that hronek will alleviate Myers problems associated with to many minutes. Less minutes less responsibility I expect Myers to play better albeit less 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Looks like Boeser is going to stay a Canuck for at least another year.

Currently as it stands:

Kuzmenko/Pettersson/Beauvillier

Mikheyev/Miller/Boeser

Hoglander/_______/Garland

Joshua/Aman/Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes/Juulsen?

Wolanin/Hronek

Hirose/Myers

Woo

Rathbone

I hope we don’t sign any UFA’s unless they’re RFA’s that other team didn’t sign. If we can get someone like Trent Frederic, 25 y/o, on a solid 3 year contract, we can have him play as the 3C.

We need to run it back for one more year with the same team. If we make the playoffs somehow, great, keep Myers and Beauvillier for a full season. If we are middle of the pack, trade them at the deadline, and call up some guys to fill those extra spots.

If Boeser and Garland play a full season with top 6 minutes and perform well, they’ll be easier to trade next off season.

Patience is something our franchise needs. Wait for opportunities to arrive.

Agree whole heartedly with patience and striking when the opportunity arises. On Frederic I think he played mostly winger didn't he? His face-off % is only 33%. I think he only took 24 draws. I'd hope we can find a more natural Center. I like how he plays though.

18 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

If by “a 4m dollar defenseman”, you mean this guy:

cut.jpg

…Then yeah, maybe.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Part of the big reason why the team failed so much. OEL was overplayed 

21 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You literally admit in the first post, first paragraph second sentence which by the way you had right , and should have left it that. Lol  and then you go off in another direction with your take only minutes apart  lol ????? Which way is it? Lmao

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

You literally admit in the first post, first paragraph second sentence which by the way you had right , and should have left it that. Lol  and then you go off in another direction with your take only minutes apart  lol ????? Which way is it? Lmao

My definition of an OEL overplay is playing just regular minutes. 

Nice try, lol

Just now, grandmaster said:

Regular minutes in which regard? As a top 4, mid pair or bottom pair?

Playing ozone starts, playing dzone starts , every situation !  It explains both players being OVERPLAYED ! Hence both playing to the point of exhaustion. if you couldn’t see both players on their knees or flat on their stomachs then how would you explain that. Because when players flail like that it only stands to reason their tired IMO ! 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It’s called being a fan. We have a great young core. We just cut away a tumour. A couple smaller lumps need to go too. But we have great players to build around. Petey, Hughes, Hronek, Miller, Demko. It would be insanely stupid to sell off these great players and rebuild. How in the heck do we get guys as good as those five back again? 

I agree it would be impossibly hard to get players as good. I don't want to let those guys go either. Miller is the only one. I wouldn't mind if they traded him but I'm fine with him on the team too. I just want us to stop making impatient decisions that lower the quality of the team down the road and keep us from putting more quality in the line-up. I want to get back to winning.