The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Looks like Boeser is going to stay a Canuck for at least another year.

Currently as it stands:

Kuzmenko/Pettersson/Beauvillier

Mikheyev/Miller/Boeser

Hoglander/_______/Garland

Joshua/Aman/Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes/Juulsen?

Wolanin/Hronek

Hirose/Myers

Woo

Rathbone

I hope we don’t sign any UFA’s unless they’re RFA’s that other team didn’t sign. If we can get someone like Trent Frederic, 25 y/o, on a solid 3 year contract, we can have him play as the 3C.

We need to run it back for one more year with the same team. If we make the playoffs somehow, great, keep Myers and Beauvillier for a full season. If we are middle of the pack, trade them at the deadline, and call up some guys to fill those extra spots.

If Boeser and Garland play a full season with top 6 minutes and perform well, they’ll be easier to trade next off season.

Patience is something our franchise needs. Wait for opportunities to arrive.

Here's hoping, unfortunately I don't believe in this management's ability to not just plunk someone else into open cap space. I'm really hoping they just ride it out with what the have for the most part, next season is likely a transition season at best anyway imo. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Totally agree. 
I think it’s more than fair to be critical of this franchise. It’s warranted.

At heart, even pessimism is a product of wanting the best for this club, so I hear you on that.

For me, this transaction is nothing less than positive because of what it frees up. That’s the long and short of it. 
There is a heavy cost on both sides of the equation, but this one Aqualini himself is having to save face for and it’s a fair chunk of change. That tells you all you need to know about the intention of and execution by this ownership group.

Some may not agree with how they approach their product, we can’t change that. But as a fan, it’s sometimes cathartic to let go of personal bias as to how you’d like to see the franchise run and instead view it through the collective eyes of who owns it and discuss a viewpoint from that position. That’s what I try to do and it makes some of the lean times a little easier to digest.  

This move will cause strain, no doubt.

But come year 2 of this buyout and we have established ourselves as a perennial playoff candidate, it will have been an incredible success. 
Other teams have been incredibly successful through successive post seasons of having to trim the fat to keep cap compliant. There is no reason we aren’t capable of doing the same. To think JR doesn’t have tricks up his sleeve or at very least a framework,  would be to hastily ignore a very storied career as an executive. We now have a very solid cast in place. The roster will only improve from here on in. 

Great post. Hopefully it turns out good and we're overjoyed at the outcome. I just hope OEL doesn't go somewhere and score 50 points ... for all of our sakes. :lol: I guess my view is tainted by just how bad that trade was for us. Even if this is better it still sucks ... and to think we gave up a pretty good young player in order to saddle ourselves with $12 mil of wasted cap. I guess it's fitting Aqua has to pay this one out. I'm still of the midframe that it would be wise to save some space but I doubt they do that based on their previous actions.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Here's hoping, unfortunately I don't believe in this management's ability to not just plunk someone else into open cap space. I'm really hoping they just ride it out with what the have for the most part, next season is likely a transition season at best anyway imo. 

I'm with you Coconuts. We both know there is like 3% chance they don't just fill that cap space up as soon as they can though. I've always said we shouldn't be pushing for contention until Myers is off the books. At that point the right side can be reformulated. However, with this surprise move they probably will start now. I really hope they don't trade #11 but it's more likely than ever now.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm with you Coconuts. We both know there is like 3% chance they don't just fill that cap space up as soon as they can though. I've always said we shouldn't be pushing for contention until Myers is off the books. At that point the right side can be reformulated. However, with this surprise move they probably will start now. I really hope they don't trade #11 but it's more likely than ever now.

If we trade the pick imma be pissed, I want a center at 11OA

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s called being a fan. We have a great young core. We just cut away a tumour. A couple smaller lumps need to go too. But we have great players to build around. Petey, Hughes, Hronek, Miller, Demko. It would be insanely stupid to sell off these great players and rebuild. How in the heck do we get guys as good as those five back again? 

People don't get it, a rebuild means without Petey or Hughes and they don't want it.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If we trade the pick imma be pissed, I want a center at 11OA

A really good centre will be available and Danielson's floor is a 3rd line centre but his speed and hands tell me 2nd line centre easy.  And he's the 3rd option after Dvorsky and Moore. 

4 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

People don't get it, a rebuild means without Petey or Hughes and they don't want it.  

I’ve been saying the same thing since last season. Peeps keep saying we are giving too much clout and merit to these two players. That they aren’t bigger than the team blah blah blah. 
You clean out the cupboards dry and tank organizationally (Chicago/Yotes/etc) these two walk. 
Ownership won’t allow this. Hockey ops has a mandate. As insane as it seems the team wants to make noise in the Petey/Huggy prime years. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Post image

It's going to take years for the fans to get over Benning anxiety PBTD.  Allvin's been pretty good and I trust the new management's ability to identify talent.  This buyout was a tough pill they had to swallow, it was the only way they could move forward. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

A really good centre will be available and Danielson's floor is a 3rd line centre but his speed and hands tell me 2nd line centre easy.  And he's the 3rd option after Dvorsky and Moore. 

Yeah, he's an intriguing option for sure

12 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

It's going to take years for the fans to get over Benning anxiety PBTD.  Allvin's been pretty good and I trust the new management's ability to identify talent.  This buyout was a tough pill they had to swallow, it was the only way they could move forward. 

Alternatively, Canucks fans have always poked fun at themselves and will almost certainly continue to do so

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

@AnthonyG worked up the numbers, OEL was fine, was let down by goaltending and Myers

What a bizarre manipulation of the numbers.  I don't even know where they're coming from.  And it's an even stranger argument to make - that (healthy) OEL was better than Hughes this year???  Huh??  Sounds like an AnthonyG post to me...

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20222023&thruseason=20222023&playerid=8475171&sit=5v5&stype=2

There.  Look at the numbers yourself, man.  Ekman-Larsson sucks.  Period.  Look at those key values regressing over the years.  xG%.  SCF%.  HDCF%.  HDGF%.  The man has been getting clobbered defensively since his Arizona days.  You can't blame everything on Myers when OEL's only played with him for two years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

What a bizarre manipulation of the numbers.  I don't even know where they're coming from.  And it's an even stranger argument to make - that (healthy) OEL was better than Hughes this year???  Huh??  Sounds like an AnthonyG post to me...

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20222023&thruseason=20222023&playerid=8475171&sit=5v5&stype=2

There.  Look at the numbers yourself, man.  Ekman-Larsson sucks.  Period.  Look at those key values regressing over the years.  xG%.  SCF%.  HDCF%.  HDGF%.  The man has been getting clobbered defensively since his Arizona days.  You can't blame everything on Myers when OEL's only played with him for two years.

Wdym? He was net positive In his first year with us despite taking the hard matchups and more defensive zone starts than offensive 

This past season where he supposedly stunk it up, he played in front of a truly horrific save percentage 

The numbers paint a picture of a guy who got let down by a bad partner and terrible goaltending 

Incidentally he was also net positive when partnered with Bear instead of Myers 

7 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Wdym? He was net positive In his first year with us despite taking the hard matchups and more defensive zone starts than offensive 

This past season where he supposedly stunk it up, he played in front of a truly horrific save percentage 

The numbers paint a picture of a guy who got let down by a bad partner and terrible goaltending 

Incidentally he was also net positive when partnered with Bear instead of Myers 

Alright so how does anything you've mentioned explain why OEL's play got progressively worse in Arizona?

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Alright so how does anything you've mentioned explain why OEL's play got progressively worse in Arizona?

I’m not saying he’s the 8.5 million dollar defenseman he was at the age of 25 

but he was definitely not useless. He held his own as a 2nd pair LD, and when he was given a competent partner (Bear) he could handle tough matchups and showed fine. 

He was about 2m overpaid which is why they ended up doing this buyout. 

they’re banking on being able to go out there and get a top-4 LD at a discounted rate relative to performance

also to answer your question directly: OELs body took an absolute hammering in Arizona, guy was repeatedly injured b/c of his physical play 

Edited by eeeeergh