The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Boston trades Taylor Hall and the rights to UFA Nick Foligno to Chicago for the rights to RFA's Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula

1 minute ago, mll said:

So why wouldn't LA acquire the much cheaper goalie instead.   Selling high when the market is cap strapped doesn't necessarily bring the best return.  

Plenty of examples where teams thought they could move from a veteran goalie and then things fall apart because it's not the same pressure being a starter vs a backup.  

I think LA has had enough of the temporary, low range guys.  They want a starter they can settle on.  They haven't had a quality starter since Quick's game dropped off a cliff.

It is an opportunity to get a goalie that has proven is Vezina quality.  He was the starter in Boston, he tore the job away and ran with it, they just can't afford him now.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

He has a 16 team no trade and he didn't put Chicago on the list?

That would be a real shocker.  Maybe he filled out his paperwork incorrectly... "OH!  I'm supposed to put the teams I don't wanna go to on here?"

5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Well Chicago is a great city to live in and he is probably a shoe-in to play with Bedard. Why not?

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

The Bedard factor unfortunately. 

I don't think he would have known Bedard is going to Chicago when he submitted his 16 team list for 2022/23.  I mean maybe they're gonna do the trade once his 10 team list kicks in...?

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I think LA has had enough of the temporary, low range guys.  They want a starter they can settle on.  They haven't had a quality starter since Quick's game dropped off a cliff.

It is an opportunity to get a goalie that has proven is Vezina quality.  He was the starter in Boston, he tore the job away and ran with it, they just can't afford him now.

Quick was still reliable the year before - he was one of the reasons they qualified for the playoffs.  It's only this season that his game fell off a cliff.  

LA has cap challenges for this coming season especially if they add Dubois.  So not sure they can afford a 5M goalie and might have to again settle for someone on a more reasonable deal.  If they can't get Dubois then they could find a way to make it work. 

Now that Boston is clearing 6M they probably can now keep their tandem.  Teams are going towards 1A/1B because the workload has changed.  Players are creating more lateral plays where more effort is required for the goalies + change in equipments, rules, etc.  Not necessarily reasonable to only have 1 starter.  

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What the hell... can't believe Boston was able to unload cap that easily. 

Meanwhile Canucks and their OEL buyout:

Derp GIF - Derp - Discover & Share GIFs | Derp, Gif, Discover

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Well Chicago is a great city to live in and he is probably a shoe-in to play with Bedard. Why not?

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

The Bedard factor unfortunately. 

That 16 team no trade was filed on 1 July 2022 before knowing who would get Bedard.  

Or is he waiving?  That's kind of surprising when he's been talking about how long he's been in the league and has barely touched the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

That’s first rounder worthy. I’ll take the buyout. Better to have kept him another season though imo 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Foligno is a UFA.... the only cap they are clearing is Halls, and Hall-Bedard is pretty nasty lol

25 minutes ago, mll said:

LA has cap issues of their own + are trying to acquire Dubois which will put even more of a strain on their cap situation.  

Doesn't make much sense for Boston.  They are trying to contend now that they've extended Pastrnak.  Would they really move their starter and Vezina finalist goalie?

Boston has no cap space.  They need to make some major moves.  Doesn't make sense to keep both goalies at this point.  They could sign Swayman to a cheaper deal.  Looks like Hall may be the forward they move as well as probably Rielly.  If they can move Ullmark too then they should free up $14 million in cap space.  That should be enough to sign Bertuzzi, Swayman, Bergeron and Krejci.  

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

That’s first rounder worthy. I’ll take the buyout. Better to have kept him another season though imo 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Let's see what the sweetener(s) are first... BOS doesn't have much.

Nope.  Two prospects that don't move the needle at all IMO. 

Taylor Hall:  16 goals, 36 points in 61 games last season.  $6M AAV.