The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jets trade Pierre-Luc Dubois to Kings for Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari, 2024 2nd-round pick

25 minutes ago, mll said:

His preference was actually LA.  He wanted to go to a competitive team and not on a team still a few years away.  Dreger / LeBrun were talking about that.

Dubois wanting to go to Montreal was a misunderstanding from an interview in french with his agent where bits got lost in translation.  The host was only interested in Montreal and asked if Dubois would like to play for them.  His agent gave the answer that was expected of him but never said Montreal only.  

Montreal was up there, easy to change that now that he is heading to LA

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is Jim Benning the new Kings GM? They're trading away future players for the win now idea. Also missing Durzi now. They're not winning anything soon.

Durzi was squeezed out due to depth of better young D prospects.  PLD is 25, not 35 so not all that JB like acquisition.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Is Jim Benning the new Kings GM? They're trading away future players for the win now idea. Also missing Durzi now. They're not winning anything soon.

They look stronger.

They've replaced Durzi with Gavrikov in their top-4 - that's a better configuration.  Durzi was a defensive liability.  As good as he was offensively he also cost them goals against and even games.  LA just opened up a spot for Clarke to play on their 3rd pairing/2nd PP unit which is where Durzi would have played this coming season.  

Fiala was their 1st ppg player in 5 years while playing all over their lineup including on their 3rd line with Blake Lizotte who is better suited to play C4.  Dubois is an upgrade.  Would expect them to play together.  Fiala-Dubois.  Kopitar-Kempe.  Danault-Arvidsson.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Montreal was up there, easy to change that now that he is heading to LA

His agent gave that interview for Montreal TV in french and then there were headlines everywhere saying he wants to go to Montreal when his agent did not say such a thing at all.  Something got lost in translation.  

8 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Why? Doesn't a team just need to be cap compliant at the start of the season? Why does the Jets cap matter if they trade him 10 minutes later.

There's off-season cap counting where every contract (up to 50) is back on the NHL roster.  There are different rules and they have a 10% buffer above the cap. 1-ways count at full cap hit but 2-way deals count at the NHL salary but to the pro-rata of the time spent on the NHL roster - someone returned to junior for example would have a zero cap hit.    

There are also tagging rules where teams can't spent cap that they don't have yet - ie upcoming UFA still count against the cap till 30 June.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

There's off-season cap counting where every contract (up to 50) is back on the NHL roster.  There are different rules and they have a 10% buffer above the cap. 1-ways count at full cap hit but 2-way deals count at the NHL salary but to the pro-rata of the time spent on the NHL roster - someone returned to junior for example would have a zero cap hit.    

There are also tagging rules where teams can't spent cap that they don't have yet - ie upcoming UFA still count against the cap till 30 June.  

Right on, I think. I really appreciate you trying to explain that to me but I went cross eyed and smoke started coming out my ears half way through.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Why? Doesn't a team just need to be cap compliant at the start of the season? Why does the Jets cap matter if they trade him 10 minutes later.

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Right on, I think. I really appreciate you trying to explain that to me but I went cross eyed and smoke started coming out my ears half way through.

They can only be 10% over the cap in the off-season, so about $91M

• Thanks 1

PLD has the talent but I'm not sure he has the drive and consistency to be an elite player. The amount of times he's seemed invisible out there is worrisome. He's not particularly good at faceoffs and he doesn't PK. He came into the NHL as a 19 year old and scored 48 points and 5 years later he's only upped his best season production to 63 points. How long until he requests out of LA?

Just now, cripplereh said:

Well is it going threw or will PLD not extend?

Would be funny if he next year asks for a trade lol

It's a cap counting issue.  Jets don't have the cap space to sign him to his extension so they 1st need to clear cap.  It's a sign and trade.