The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Perkins | C

This and Mueller confuse me.  We don't have good luck with over agers in the draft.  We had the option of drafting more local kids with size in positions of need.  I just don't get the two forward picks in the 4th round but whatever.

Let's hope this kid can put on some weight and actually develop properly.  It's never a bad idea drafting a prairie kid so there's always hope

Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Like that a C

Don't like his size

Really don't like that not a great skater

Was watching  footage of the draft and one scout/gm said in the later rounds it came down to 3 things, if you didn't have them you needed one essential to make up for it

If you could skate, didn't have skill or couldn't think the game you better have the size to make up for all of those shortcomings.

Being smaller as well as a questionable skater I hope this kid has prairie heart to make up for it

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Wow what a steal. It’s basically like a 2nd round pick. I can’t believe he was still available!

Sarcasm? Wrong thread? Or are you legitimately really high on Perkins? If so, I’d be interested to hear why? Nothing against him. I think the kid has potential and he’s heading to a good program for his development at UMD. I just don’t recall ever hearing him rated much higher than the 100’s, either in his D or D+1 years, so I’d be interested to know why you see second round pick value (if that’s really what you meant)?

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sarcasm? Wrong thread? Or are you legitimately really high on Perkins? If so, I’d be interested to hear why? Nothing against him. I think the kid has potential and he’s heading to a good program for his development at UMD. I just don’t recall ever hearing him rated much higher than the 100’s, either in his D or D+1 years, so I’d be interested to know why you see second round pick value (if that’s really what you meant)?

I was poking fun at Allvin and his assessment of players he acquired via trade or draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Haha, yeah. It’s amazing how every player Allvin likes seems to magically “fall” to wherever the Canucks are drafting. ;) 

Mueller fell over 500 times and magically landed in his lap

:bigblush:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Let's hope this kid can put on some weight and actually develop properly.

I’ll be interested to see what his vitals look like once he’s in the NCAA. Right now, his listed weight is a headscratcher. The SJHL had him listed around 175 lbs and then the USHL had him around 155 lbs the next season. Have to think that’s a misprint. Unless he was a really chunky kid when he played for Humboldt and then he lost 20 lbs when he went to Youngstown. Seems more likely he’s around 175-180 lbs now and that 156 listing in an error. The 5’11” height is at least consistent across most sources. Who knows, maybe he’ll be 6’0” and 190ish by the time he’s 20-21?

• Cheers 1

From an HFBoards user:

Perkins is one of many interesting draft eligibles on the USHL's Youngstown Phantoms roster this year. Played his original draft year last year in the SJHL with the Humboldt Broncos.

Perkins looks like an interesting "glue" player, he seems to be in the middle of a lot of plays either breaking them up or starting the rushes up ice. I love his game - very tenacious and persistent all over the ice, great at puck retrievals. Shows good enough skating, speed, and finishing skills to be a legit prospect worthy of draft consideration.

Heading to the Minnesota-Duluth next year and he's an excellent fit for the type of forwards that program usually produces.

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/c-matthew-perkins-youngstown-phantoms-ushl-2023-119th-van.2932234/

• Cheers 2