The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Selling/Buying a used car to a dealership question

HockeyLover17

Well in other news, related to my OP. I know Type Rs are gorgeous cars, very robust, and built well, but how is their resale value? Cars are obviously not a product that has great resale value, but I've been reading Type R specially holds it's value extremely well. This car is expected to last me 10 years minimum if I were to buy it. 

In 10 years with the push to hybrid / electric will it hold it's value? 

If this is a 'performance' auto, the question becomes-where can/will you drive it to get use of all that torque and horse power?

Main reason I sold off my old 68 Cougar, roads have too many other cars on it, too many dash cams and way too many cell phones.

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If this is a 'performance' auto, the question becomes-where can/will you drive it to get use of all that torque and horse power?

Main reason I sold off my old 68 Cougar, roads have too many other cars on it, too many dash cams and way too many cell phones.

Nice.

I have a 76 dart swinger. I'm thinking of getting it done up in the next year or so. 

It has a slant 6. A long time ago I bought a 383 big block with plans to squeeze that in to the old dart. 

Now I have decided that it will be a lover, not a fighter as I am gonna keep the original slant 6 and not the 383. I can actaully sell the 383 in it's crate for decent cash. 

I dont need to go fast, and where am i going to go fast? and how much will going fast cost me with these gas prices? Nah, I'll buy a nice sound system and cruise around at 20km happy as a pig in poop. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont need to go fast, and where am i going to go fast

Top legal speed on the island 110 Kmh or is it 120  on the inland highway?

Take the extra 6-9 km they will normally let slide, which works out to around where I'd shit into 2nd.

289 bored out to 292,Forged aluminum pistons, screw in rocker studs, guide plates, shift kit/stall converter, 2.76 gear ratio- and a set of Comp T/a tires-the best grippers I've ever had.

True highway brawler, until I had the gear set changed out to 3.5; then it was a  good quarter miler that could still fly at top speed.

Best part of the car- the brakes, had the original drums swapped for huge disc brake set up from a car weighing almost 800 lbs more than the Cougar.

When I want to stop I want to stop NOW.

The old days were a lot of fun.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HockeyLover17 said:

Well in other news, related to my OP. I know Type Rs are gorgeous cars, very robust, and built well, but how is their resale value? Cars are obviously not a product that has great resale value, but I've been reading Type R specially holds it's value extremely well. This car is expected to last me 10 years minimum if I were to buy it. 

Type R resale is ridiculous right now, if I bought one when I worked at the Honda dealership here I could have driven it for the last 3/4 years and sold it for what I paid for it right now. If I waited a year and bought a Phoenix Yellow I could have paid $48-49k then and sell it for $75k now as it was a one year only rare colour. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Type R is manual only Hyundai Elantra N is manual or a dual clutch auto, both are pretty good and the dual clutch gives you launch control too. 

• Upvote 1

Update: received a text message from the salesmen asking how selling my car is going. Absolutely ridiculous. I find it truly hard to believe a car salesmen is asking how I'm doing just to be friendly. Must be their practice dismiss me and get lost in my own head to make an impulsive decision. 

For a customer going to that dealer for the last 20 years for service, and buying my 1st car there, I'm beyond fuming at the disrespect. I'm hoping the GM can rectify the situation otherwise, it's no loss to me. I don't need a new my car, my car drives just fine.  I'll even be firm and say I have no intention of doing any business unless they give me a good offer. 

At this point it's their loss. They even copy and pasted a text I sent to them back to me. So clearly they're sharing my conversation with their colleagues. So much for customer / business confidentiality. Absolutely ridiculous. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, HockeyLover17 said:

Update: received a text message from the salesmen asking how selling my car is going. Absolutely ridiculous. I find it truly hard to believe a car salesmen is asking how I'm doing just to be friendly. Must be their practice dismiss me and get lost in my own head to make an impulsive decision. 

For a customer going to that dealer for the last 20 years for service, and buying my 1st car there, I'm beyond fuming at the disrespect. I'm hoping the GM can rectify the situation otherwise, it's no loss to me. I don't need a new my car, my car drives just fine.  I'll even be firm and say I have no intention of doing any business unless they give me a good offer. 

At this point it's their loss. They even copy and pasted a text I sent to them back to me. So clearly they're sharing my conversation with their colleagues. So much for customer / business confidentiality. Absolutely ridiculous. 

They sound like clowns to be honest, I’d either keep my car or just go elsewhere. 

• There it is 1

Final Update: I spoke with the GM, here's what they offered. 

$18,500 for my 2017 civic SI. 50k KMs on it. They won't budge on the price for 2020 Type R at all. They said they came in wanting to offer $17,000, but refuse to go any higher than $18,500. Their broker will not pay more than $17,000 so they're going to risk selling it on the lot. For reference, a 2023 Civic SI BRAND NEW MSRP is $36,000. 6 years older - half the price. He said without the accident he would have done $22,000 trade in. With the $11,000 accident, $18,500 is higher than he wants to do. SO WITH THAT BEING SAID:

There's 2 options. 
1. 2020 Type R with 1 owner. 83,000 KMs on it. Great condition. 80% front tires, and 55% rear. Final price $44,900. 

2. 2023 Civic SI brand new. Comes with an Aero kit (I don't want that kit, but it's included and has to be paid for. They were going to sell it previously, but the previous deal fell through due to financing.)

Both cars are black. I did some research, and $18,500 seems like a fair offer. GM also promised if I continue to use them for Service, I have his word they will give me some discounts. Thoughts?

Just keep your current car lol its not a great time to be buying a new car unless required and you already mention that you barely drive. After all the crap they tried to pull they dont deserve your business anyway.

If you feel like forking out $16k for a depreciating asset that you barely use then go ham. I personally am the type of person to drive my car into the ground and thoroughly enjoy driving my 2003 rsx-s with 230km that i paid $10k for in 2012. Many other things i would rather spend my money on but maybe im just too frugal.

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Just keep your current car lol its not a great time to be buying a new car unless required and you already mention that you barely drive. After all the crap they tried to pull they dont deserve your business anyway.

If you feel like forking out $16k for a depreciating asset that you barely use then go ham. I personally am the type of person to drive my car into the ground and thoroughly enjoy driving my 2003 rsx-s with 230km that i paid $10k for in 2012. Many other things i would rather spend my money on but maybe im just too frugal.

Naw I definitely see where you're coming from. Last car I had was a 2008 Honda Civic SI and traded it in after 12 years. I'm just sick and tired of people saying, $11,000 ACCIDENT?!?! UR CAR WORTH NOTHING. WOW! NOBODY GOING TO BUY THAT. UR LUCKY TO GET WHAT U GET.

I'm just so tired of the stigma. I just want to be rid of it.

Just now, HockeyLover17 said:

Naw I definitely see where you're coming from. Last car I had was a 2008 Honda Civic SI and traded it in after 12 years. I'm just sick and tired of people saying, $11,000 ACCIDENT?!?! UR CAR WORTH NOTHING. WOW! NOBODY GOING TO BUY THAT. UR LUCKY TO GET WHAT U GET.

I'm just so tired of the stigma. I just want to be rid of it.

Stop worrying about what other people think then lol it won’t matter if nobody is going to buy it if youre going to keep it for another 10-15 years as you says its mechanically just fine.

You seem set on getting a new car though, check out a subaru sti i do want one of those..

• Vintage 1

On 7/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, HockeyLover17 said:

If anything that will increase it's value, we're already predicting that Lamborghini Aventador and Gallardo prices to spike now that the next one is going hybrid.

Interesting to note as well I went from a 1.6 Turbo Hyundai Veloster to a 5.0L V8 Mercedes I spend about $10 less a month on gas with 4 more cylinders and over 100 more horsepower and 140lb/ft of torque. 

I'll stick with buying vehicles already produced as that is more eco friendly than contributing to another car being built.  

15 hours ago, Chicken. said:

If I bought a Type R when I worked at Honda in 2018 I could sell it for what I bought it for today, If I bought the Phoenix Yellow one I wanted I could sell it for $25k over what I would have paid. Type R's don't depreciate like a regular Civic. 

Update: I bought the 2020 Type R. They gave me a great deal, and was very happy. They also included a lot of free bonus perks (service discounts, warranty discounts) and I'm super satisfied. The car is SOO fun to drive. And I promise I don't drive like a crazed animal. I would never drive like that or endanger anybody. It's just so smooth words can't describe. 

Anyways I know a lot of people on this board are extremely knowledgeable with cars and I was hoping for some advice. I don't have a good place to store my car. I want to put it in the garage but it will take some time for us to move around a lot of equipment / other vehicles and find shelter for them. The type R has to stay outside for the next little bit. Some questions OR is there a good sub reddit I could go to ?

1. Is it fine to leave the Type R outside? Obviously tree sap and bird poop is bad for ANY car but besides that, is there any sort of coating I can put the car on to protect the clear coat / paint for extended periods of time? 

2. How would the tires handle in wet / slippery conditions? Is this a car that's safe to drive in the snow / Vancouver winter conditions ? My normal commute is usually Abbotsford to Surrey. 

3. Any other tidbits or advice people wanna give? This car is going to be my personal / everyday car for the next 10-15 years OR until I get some little terrors and want to upgrade to a more family vehicle so I want it to last as long as I can. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 4:06 PM, HockeyLover17 said:

Update: I bought the 2020 Type R. They gave me a great deal, and was very happy. They also included a lot of free bonus perks (service discounts, warranty discounts) and I'm super satisfied. The car is SOO fun to drive. And I promise I don't drive like a crazed animal. I would never drive like that or endanger anybody. It's just so smooth words can't describe. 

Anyways I know a lot of people on this board are extremely knowledgeable with cars and I was hoping for some advice. I don't have a good place to store my car. I want to put it in the garage but it will take some time for us to move around a lot of equipment / other vehicles and find shelter for them. The type R has to stay outside for the next little bit. Some questions OR is there a good sub reddit I could go to ?

1. Is it fine to leave the Type R outside? Obviously tree sap and bird poop is bad for ANY car but besides that, is there any sort of coating I can put the car on to protect the clear coat / paint for extended periods of time? 

2. How would the tires handle in wet / slippery conditions? Is this a car that's safe to drive in the snow / Vancouver winter conditions ? My normal commute is usually Abbotsford to Surrey. 

3. Any other tidbits or advice people wanna give? This car is going to be my personal / everyday car for the next 10-15 years OR until I get some little terrors and want to upgrade to a more family vehicle so I want it to last as long as I can. 

On a car like that I would go with PPF (Paint Protection Film) And Ceramic coating on top of that especially if longevity is the game for you. 

On 7/22/2023 at 4:44 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Depending on your 'hood, I would be less worried about tree sap and bird poop, and more worried about people who would want to take the car for a joyride.  You can give it some protection from the elements if you get like one of those el-cheapo car covers, but it might not deter a determined car thief from finding a way to start the vehicle, especially if it's push-start ignition.  Putting it in the garage as soon as you're able to will give it that added element of security, with the added bonus of protection from the elements.

About tires and snow safety - I'm sure you'll get all kinds of stories, but half of it is getting the right tires for the conditions, and half of it isn't driving like an asshat.  I'd be more worried about over-confident, under-skilled other drivers on the roads with tires that don't fit the season.

Outside of that, enjoy the car!  :gocan:

There's no better feeling than having a car that you enjoy driving and that suits your driving style.

Push starts are generally harder to steal, The Hyundai/Kia thefts recently were all on key cars. The pushbutton ones were fine.

I'd buy a Mazda personally. Exceedingly well engineered/reliable vehicles, better looking than Hondas and class above interiors. Drive great as well.

Always had great service at Wolfe Langley Mazda with minimal of the usual dealership head games (subject to change of course).

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd buy a Mazda personally. Exceedingly well engineered/reliable vehicles, better looking than Hondas and class above interiors. Drive great as well.

Always had great service at Wolfe Langley Mazda with minimal of the usual dealership head games (subject to change of course).

They just don't have anything on par with the Type R or Hyundai N. Mazda quality has improved a lot my only concern with them now is hopefully they have solved the rust issues. The first and 2nd gen Mazda 3's you can pretty much watch them disintegrate in your driveway.