The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Selling/Buying a used car to a dealership question

HockeyLover17

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

They just don't have anything on par with the Type R or Hyundai N. Mazda quality has improved a lot my only concern with them now is hopefully they have solved the rust issues. The first and 2nd gen Mazda 3's you can pretty much watch them disintegrate in your driveway.

That was like 20+ years ago...yeah, it's not a problem :lol: There's tonnes of 10+ year old Mazda's with little to no rust in greater Vancouver.

I'd personally take a Mazda 3 Turbo (or a Miata for that matter) over an N or Type R any day. Yeah the 3 doesn't have the screaming HP #'s, they tune the turbo more for torque, an even and broad power band etc to make it more useable in daily driving rather than chasing stats. And the Miata has the highest smiles/dollar value of any car out there. They're also apparently developing an RX9.

2019-mazda-rx-9-25-cars-worth-waiting-fo

Yum

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

That was like 20+ years ago...yeah, it's not a problem :lol: There's tonnes of 10+ year old Mazda's with little to no rust in greater Vancouver.

I'd personally take a Mazda 3 Turbo (or a Miata for that matter) over an N or Type R any day. Yeah the 3 doesn't have the screaming HP #'s, they tune the turbo more for torque, an even and broad power band etc to make it more useable in daily driving rather than chasing stats. And the Miata has the highest smiles/dollar value of any car out there.

I've owned Miata's and they're not on the Type R's level, Mazda 3 not even remotely close. And I don't mean just stat chasing, every day use it is a better car too, with the best transmission feel of any car on market until getting to a Porsche GT3 6 Speed. Mazda shifter is better than the Hyundai though, but again if someone is after Type R or Hyundai N performance the Mazda is just not going to cut it.

As for the rust the 2nd gen Mazda 3 goes all the way up to 2014 not 20+ years ago. My co workers 2008 Mazda 3 was basically condemned due to so much rot. 3rd gen's seem to be not so bad so far but it's only been 7/8 years they have been out.  

28 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I've owned Miata's and they're not on the Type R's level, Mazda 3 not even remotely close. And I don't mean just stat chasing, every day use it is a better car too, with the best transmission feel of any car on market until getting to a Porsche GT3 6 Speed. Mazda shifter is better than the Hyundai though, but again if someone is after Type R or Hyundai N performance the Mazda is just not going to cut it.

As for the rust the 2nd gen Mazda 3 goes all the way up to 2014 not 20+ years ago. My co workers 2008 Mazda 3 was basically condemned due to so much rot. 3rd gen's seem to be not so bad so far but it's only been 7/8 years they have been out.  

Seems to do fine here against an Elantra N and an Si FWIW...¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But sure, It's probably a hair slower than an R. Not remotely close...? Ok.

Highly disagree on who makes better cars though, everyday or otherwise. I drove Honda's for years and it's not close IMO.

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Seems to do fine here against an Elantra N and an Si FWIW...¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But sure, It's probably a hair slower than an R. Not remotely close...? Ok.

Highly disagree on who makes better cars though, everyday or otherwise. I drove Honda's for years and it's not close IMO.

Straight line speed is not the same as actual canyon/track driving. Yes, it’s not even close.

Even the Mazdaspeed3 while fast doesn’t handle all that well. 

Mazda makes a great commuter car but only a mediocre enthusiast car in that segment. The Miata is great for what it is though. 

On 8/1/2023 at 10:20 AM, canuck73_3 said:

Push starts are generally harder to steal, The Hyundai/Kia thefts recently were all on key cars. The pushbutton ones were fine.

Smart keys, which go with push starts, give car thieves new ways to steal cars. Ways that do not work against key cars.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/04/crooks-are-stealing-cars-using-previously-unknown-keyless-can-injection-attacks/

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/keyless-car-theft-prevention#gref

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Sure there is som but the mass thefts with Kia/Hyundai only affected the key variants. 

On 7/22/2023 at 4:06 PM, HockeyLover17 said:

Update: I bought the 2020 Type R. They gave me a great deal, and was very happy. They also included a lot of free bonus perks (service discounts, warranty discounts) and I'm super satisfied. The car is SOO fun to drive. And I promise I don't drive like a crazed animal. I would never drive like that or endanger anybody. It's just so smooth words can't describe. 

Anyways I know a lot of people on this board are extremely knowledgeable with cars and I was hoping for some advice. I don't have a good place to store my car. I want to put it in the garage but it will take some time for us to move around a lot of equipment / other vehicles and find shelter for them. The type R has to stay outside for the next little bit. Some questions OR is there a good sub reddit I could go to ?

1. Is it fine to leave the Type R outside? Obviously tree sap and bird poop is bad for ANY car but besides that, is there any sort of coating I can put the car on to protect the clear coat / paint for extended periods of time? 

2. How would the tires handle in wet / slippery conditions? Is this a car that's safe to drive in the snow / Vancouver winter conditions ? My normal commute is usually Abbotsford to Surrey. 

3. Any other tidbits or advice people wanna give? This car is going to be my personal / everyday car for the next 10-15 years OR until I get some little terrors and want to upgrade to a more family vehicle so I want it to last as long as I can. 

it's fine to leave the car outside. just keep it clean and give it a wash every couple weeks.. u can always do a ceramic coating or ppf if u want

as for winter driving.. seeing you are in abbotsford where the snow is worse than regular vancouver commute.. you are probably better off consider getting winter tires for the car.. the type R comes with summer tires stock not sure what tires ur type r have on now.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

i bought a used vehicle.

Nice addition to my retro collection. I also have a 76 Dart Swinger and a 74 Vespa 150 supersport. 

This beauty is an 84 Vanagon. Has queen bed. Will be camperising it more, want to add solar panels, sink, fridge and stove. One day I will convert to being an EV but the price tag is too much right now. There is a company putting Tesla engines in them (makes them so fast) but they want min 50k for the convert.

Could contain: Transportation, Vehicle, Car

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I recently got to put the "screws" to an Infiniti dealer here in Alberta. They brought in a low km (75000) 2017 QX60 for a higher than normal cost, due the low availability of SUV's about 4 months ago. I was first able to engage the GM himself since he was the only one available to take my call that day. The vehicle had a deal written on it with a trade in (the GM wanted a trade so that he could disperse the slight loss they're going to take since they paid too much for the SUV months ago). That deal fell through, and my deal (a cash deal) was the back up deal. The GM put me with the same salesman so that he would still get a sale (even though his previous one fell through). They started higher than I wanted (around $35,000)...we went back and forth (I started about 2k lower than I was willing to spend). By the end of the negotiation (about 2 hours) they ended up getting approval from the VP of the autogroup to approve my deal. Once said and done I drove away with my QX60 at $28,000...after the deal was done the GM showed me the file on the vehicle, they paid $32,000 for it so that's why they wanted a trade (to bury the loss in the next one) but I stood my ground and got the vehicle for the price I was comfortable with...so...STAND YOUR GROUND.

• Cheers 1

• 6 months later...

it seems to be profitable. I started my own business recently and I found info about best monitoring tools for e-commerce at https://pricer24.com/blog/best-price-monitoring-tools/. Price monitoring involved manual processes, with category managers visiting competitors’ websites to compare prices. It is useful tool for every business today. 

Edited by luckyjack