The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGFL FANTASY DRAFT

Gator

Q - If someone selects players without contracts or affiliates with a team, and fills their farm team with these players, would that affect team morale?

Y'know, having a farm team full of players not good enough for a contract or even having a team interested in them?

I've noticed a whole lot of crappy players like this being selected. Is this just a way to skirt the cap?

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Q - If someone selects players without contracts or affiliates with a team, and fills their farm team with these players, would that affect team morale?

Y'know, having a farm team full of players not good enough for a contract or even having a team interested in them?

I've noticed a whole lot of crappy players like this being selected. Is this just a way to skirt the cap?

I have seen about three that I don't think will have a contract in the NHL at all, but I think the pickers genuinely feel they will get a PTO or something late? I dunno, but it isn't cap circumventing as they will have to negotiate a contract with them or lose them to UFA status i guess...which is just wasting a pick imo. Might be wrong though? A strategy i did not foresee?

OH and a bunch of 22/23 even 21 drafted guys may not have NHL deals yet, Euro's still on a SHL or Liiga contract from 2021 draft might be the bulk of them your seeing.

Edited by Primal Optimist

7 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I have seen about three that I don't think will have a contract in the NHL at all, but I think the pickers genuinely feel they will get a PTO or something late? I dunno, but it isn't cap circumventing as they will have to negotiate a contract with them or lose them to UFA status i guess...which is just wasting a pick imo. Might be wrong though? A strategy i did not foresee?

Thinking about taking Jagr, 'cause he might play again, never know eh? :bigblush:

Edit - I am kidding, but really, would this be allowed? There's got to be a line somewhere?

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

As far as I can tell, only players with contracts can be on your AHL team so I can't see any Cap circumvention. The only players without contracts are in your "Prospects" list and you retain their rights for two years. You either must offer a contract within the two years or risk losing them to free agency.

Once you offer them a contract (and it is accepted) they would move over to your AHL affiliate and their salary would count towards the cap.

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

As far as I can tell, only players with contracts can be on your AHL team so I can't see any Cap circumvention. The only players without contracts are in your "Prospects" list and you retain their rights for two years. You either must offer a contract within the two years or risk losing them to free agency.

Once you offer them a contract (and it is accepted) they would move over to your AHL affiliate and their salary would count towards the cap.

Thanks Rick, this is my first year with this Draft, so I'm learning.

So, we don't need a full AHL team roster? 

(e.g.)

22 NHL players

15 AHL players (farm team)

3 unsigned Prospects

= 40 picks

Is this acceptable?

Edit - Sorry, I realized this is in the wrong thread, should be the main CDCGFL thread and not the Draft itself.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thanks Rick, this is my first year with this Draft, so I'm learning.

So, we don't need a full AHL team roster? 

(e.g.)

22 NHL players

15 AHL players (farm team)

3 unsigned Prospects

= 40 picks

Is this acceptable?

looks like it, generally. Yeah. 

• Thanks 1