The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Need PTO - Nick Ritchie - 6'3" - 236 LBS

Rate this topic

wildcam

He is exactly the type of player that you'll watch in preseason and think, "So that's why he didn't get signed...."

Nick Ritchie is not the type of player we want.  He is an offensive, physical winger.  We need defensive physical wingers.  We need players who can work a shift on the penalty kill, not spend time in the penalty box.  There's a reason he was let go by Calgary.  He's a talented player but super slow.  The reason he gets into penalty trouble so often is because he is too slow to finish checks cleanly.

Could contain: Person, Text

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

He is exactly the type of player that you'll watch in preseason and think, "So that's why he didn't get signed...."

Nick Ritchie is not the type of player we want.  He is an offensive, physical winger.  We need defensive physical wingers.  We need players who can work a shift on the penalty kill, not spend time in the penalty box.  There's a reason he was let go by Calgary.  He's a talented player but super slow.  The reason he gets into penalty trouble so often is because he is too slow to finish checks cleanly.

Could contain: Person, Text

So basically he is Ryan Reaves.  The Leafs gave Reaves a 3-year deal, so there is no issue with having some extra truculence on the 4th line.  Plus he looks like he is pretty good on the PP from your WAR card, must get alot of tip in goals from the front of the net...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So basically he is Ryan Reaves.  The Leafs gave Reaves a 3-year deal, so there is no issue with having some extra truculence on the 4th line.  Plus he looks like he is pretty good on the PP from your WAR card, must get alot of tip in goals from the front of the net...

But that's difference between him and Reaves.  Reaves can't play hockey to save his life (his WAR card is brutal) but he still gets traded for again and again, then gets signed again and again... the man has character and he expresses it both in the locker room and on the ice.  Ritchie... he's been waived once and walked to free agency twice (first time he was unqualified as a RFA).  You can't compare a 36 year old who gets a 3 year deal versus a guy ten years younger and is fighting for his NHL career.

Nick Ritchie is truly a nightmare to watch. Ask Ducks fans.  Ask Bruins/Leafs/Coyotes/Flames fans.  None of them were sad to see him go.  He's got the size and he's got the hands but that's about it.  He is extremely slow and doesn't have the hockey IQ to match his skillset.  He cannot make a play to save his life and that's why teams continue to give up on him.  Do not forget that the last straw for Darryl Sutter was when he put Ritchie out for a shootout while Toffoli/Mangiapane sat on the bench.  Not Ritchie's fault per se but a good metaphor for his entire career.

His less-skilled brother is a more complete player.  He's not great by any means but I'll take him over Nick any day.  The brother swap was funny, though.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Chart

@Elias Pettersson here's a loveletter from a Bruins fan on reddit following Nick's scoring streak in Arizona.

This is going to sound like sour grapes from a Boston fan but I don't give a shit.

Ritchie is one of the worst players I've seen in a Bruins sweater in a long time. He routinely made me question what it meant to be a Boston fan, he tested my patience and my ability to root for my boys on a routine basis.

I can excuse a lot, that's what sports fandom is, right? It's a place to be biased and petty and stupid in a safe little sandbox of biased petty stupidity. But suck me sideways Thick D*** Nick made it a chore. I can handle guys lacking talent but playing with heart, I can handle a lack of heart in crazy talented guys, I can handle the staggering room temperature milk mediocrity of guys like Lee Stempniak, but Thick D*** Nick is none of those things.

He plays the game like someone trying to egg you on into taking a swing at him. He skates with the urgency of an old lady shopping for canned beats, but with half the speed. His hockey IQ is on par with Brett Favre's. I'm assuming Brett Farve has never played hockey, correct me if I'm wrong. Nick constantly skates around like he's surprised he's at an NHL game and then glides back to the bench (probably from the penalty box for a stick infraction) with the dim look of Lenny from Of Mice and Men. Then he sits there like a melting chocolate Santa, with his hair inexplicably sticking up through the vent in his helmet, waiting to be surprised by his next turn to get on the ice.

Consider this: He scored 15 goals last year, found some dangerous ice as a PP scorer, and Bruins fans were debating if he would be a good 4th liner or not this year, because our 4th line was that f**king bad, and Ritchie was the only skater who could conceivably make it worse. He scored 15 goals for us and we weren't sure if he would be a good replacement for Chris f**king Wagner, the surly hobbit of the TD garden.

Nick Ritchie is a bigger contributor to the decline in cardiovascular health in Boston fans than smoking and obesity. He's the equivalent of a double bacon cheeseburger on your system. He is hockey diarrhea. The guy takes the stupidest retaliatory penalties you've ever seen. He is complete invisible until you need a momentum swing, goes "Got ya boss" and cross checks someone in the neck and bumbles off the ice like Abbott and/or Costello while simultaneously shrugging and bitching to the refs and the guy he blindsided.

I'm sure he's not a bad guy IRL, I don't mean for this to be a character assassination. I'm sure he has family and besides Brett they probably don't suck. This isn't about kicking a player on their way out; let the record reflect that every Boston fan has a few memories of cursing his name and that we started kicking him long before he was down. (See also the general well wishes for Kuraly upon his departure.)

Nick isn't a goon, he's a bad boyfriend. He'll score a couple of goals one week and you'll think he's turned a corner and then he'll hit on one of your friends and tell you to chill out because he's just being friendly. Don't buy the hype, be ****ing aware.

I am ecstatic that Ritchie wasn't held onto as a sunk cost, and that Arizona signed him. There you go, that's your analysis.

Coyotes fans were chuckling when he started scoring.  They knew some idiot GM was going to trade for him.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

8 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

But that's difference between him and Reaves.  Reaves can't play hockey to save his life (his WAR card is brutal) but he still gets traded for again and again, then gets signed again and again... the man has character and he expresses it both in the locker room and on the ice.  Ritchie... he's been waived once and walked to free agency twice (first time he was unqualified as a RFA).  You can't compare a 36 year old who gets a 3 year deal versus a guy ten years younger and is fighting for his NHL career.

Nick Ritchie is truly a nightmare to watch. Ask Ducks fans.  Ask Bruins/Leafs/Coyotes/Flames fans.  None of them were sad to see him go.  He's got the size and he's got the hands but that's about it.  He is extremely slow and doesn't have the hockey IQ to match his skillset.  He cannot make a play to save his life and that's why teams continue to give up on him.  Do not forget that the last straw for Darryl Sutter was when he put Ritchie out for a shootout while Toffoli/Mangiapane sat on the bench.  Not Ritchie's fault per se but a good metaphor for his entire career.

His less-skilled brother is a more complete player.  He's not great by any means but I'll take him over Nick any day.  The brother swap was funny, though.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Chart

Both Ritchie brothers are unemployed.  Isn't there a company called Ritchie Bros?  They should both apply there, would be a great marketing coup...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Meh, Boston fans aren't that smart are they?  -_-

It's a legendary post in the reddit hockey community.  Best stuff I've read on that page.  Guess which fans agree with him?  Ducks fans, Leafs fans, Coyotes fans, and Flames fans!

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Both Ritchie brothers are unemployed.  Isn't there a company called Ritchie Bros?  They should both apply there, would be a great marketing coup...

If a team signs both brothers, they might as well set up a video game room in the penalty box.  We can call it the XBox.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

It's a legendary post in the reddit hockey community.  Best stuff I've read on that page.  Guess which fans agree with him?  Ducks fans, Leafs fans, Coyotes fans, and Flames fans!

If a team signs both brothers, they might as well set up a video game room in the penalty box.  We can call it the XBox.

Yeah, or Benchstation.

I would support this. I had a dream in his draft year that he would score a stanley cup winning goal for Vancouver. I was sad to see him to ANA I was hoping VAN would make a play to acquire that 10th oa pick. I'm all for it! 

not sure hogs or podz want more competition tho lol.