The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Blues' Kapanen suspected of aggravated drunk driving

Rate this topic

RWJC

Blues' Kapanen suspected of aggravated drunk driving

A report from Finnish national broadcaster Yle details that the case is expected to be heard early next year.

Thu, September 7, 2023 at 2:00 PM PDT

St. Louis Blues forward Kasperi Kapanen has been suspected of aggravated drunk driving, according to a report from Finland’s national broadcasting company Yle.

Kapanen’s case is scheduled to be heard in the district court of Pohjois-Savo early next year in February 2024, while the case was brought to the district court on August 23 (North Savo) Yle reported via Google Translate.

Neither Kapanen nor his agent, Markus Lehto, have commented on the alleged incident.

The 27-year-old was claimed off waivers by the Blues in February and is entering the final year of his existing contract, holding a $3.2 million cap hit for the upcoming season.

The forward has had a tumultuous past number of seasons on the ice, including being dealt by the Maple Leafs to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2020. Kapanen's struggles in recent years to produce offensively, however, ultimately soured the Penguins, leading to the club cutting bait with the fleet-footed skater.

ST. LOUIS, MO - MARCH 19: St. Louis Blues right wing Kasperi Kapanen (42) during a game between the Winnipeg Jets and the St. Louis Blues on March 19 2023, at the Enterprise Center in St. Louis MO (Photo by Rick Ulreich/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

St. Louis Blues forward Kasperi Kapanen has been suspected of aggravated drunk driving, according to a report from Finland’s national broadcasting company Yle. (Photo by Rick Ulreich/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)More

The national broadcast outlet stated that it published Kapanen’s name given his prominence as a role model to children in Finland, though he spent much of his childhood in the United States while his father Sami played in the NHL for over a decade. Kapanen also scored the overtime winner against Russia in the gold medal game of the 2016 World Junior Championship.

Yle reported that drunk driving is considered aggravated in Finland “if the driver's blood alcohol concentration is at least 1.2 per thousand or he has at least 0.53 milligrams of alcohol per liter of exhaled air during or after driving.”

Kapanen was selected in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins, then subsequently traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in a multi-player deal involving Phil Kessel in July 2015. He has played 387 NHL games, recording 78 goals and 108 assists, totaling 186 points in stints with the Maple Leafs, Penguins and Blues.

Edited by RWJC

Follow up:

No Suspension Coming For Kasperi Kapanen After Alcohol-Related Driving Charge

September 7th, 2023 at 7:45pm CST • By Brennan McClain

Taking over some of the NHL news cycle this afternoon, St.Louis Blues forward, Kasperi Kapanen has been charged with an alcohol-related driving charge in his native Finland. In a statement, Kapanen said, “Last month I made an unacceptable error in judgment and take full responsibility for my actions. I offer my apologies to my family, the Blues organization, my teammates, and the fans. I understand the severity of my mistake and am committed to doing everything I can to earn back their trust”. 

In a following statement, the President of Hockey Operations and General Manager of the Blues, Doug Armstrong, said, “Today we became aware of the incident involving Kasperi and I have spoken with him and his agent. We are disappointed in his lapse of judgment and are entrusting him to make the necessary changes to avoid putting himself in a similar situation in the future” (X Link).

All signs indicate that Kapanen and the Blues organization will handle this matter internally, and no suspension will be coming down from the team or the NHL. Last season, after being picked up on waivers by St.Louis, Kapanen would score eight goals and six assists to cap off the last 23 games in the season.

5 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Suspected?  Kapanen and GM Armstrong have already made separate statements talking about it.

Original article came out prior to any commentary. I guess “suspected” until it’s formalized by a court.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Well, it’s not like Kapanen is innocent in this matter and he said as much.

There is a difference in morality and ethics.   Heffy comes across as a guy who'd get mad if he saw a jay walker, or if in the prairie  saw a farmers truck not go to a full stop half a kilometre away with no traffic in site.    We don't know the details.   Not that this is a good thing.   A lot of "rules" are made based on a few darwinian level things.  Canadian  Society as whole, is leaned a tad too far in regulating everyone and everything.  Who doesn't go to a laxer country and feel better seeing a group of kids headed down the road in a the back of a pickup for a game of soccer, or ice cream.   We used to be allowed to do that too. 

Heffy would tear them a new asshole for that too i'm sure.   Or if someone didn't wear a helmet.   Based on the hyperbolic ranting's over a missed call in hockey.   One could think anyways. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Who doesn't go to a laxer country and feel better seeing a group of kids headed down the road in a the back of a pickup for a game of soccer, or ice cream.

Maybe get Rick Hansen' to tell you about how dangerous it is to be in the box of a pickup.

I would have  suggested asking the kid that took my brother's spot in the back of a pick up, but you can't reach him- as he is dead.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Maybe get Rick Hansen' to tell you about how dangerous it is to be in the box of a pickup.

I would have  suggested asking the kid that took my brother's spot in the back of a pick up, but you can't reach him- as he is dead.

And how many are dead just from driving?   Here we go, the safety police have already arrived.   God most people can't even get on a horse these days.   Parks will eventually have four point harness's on swings.   No more teeter-totters, merry go rounds.   And some have a foot of rubber cushioning instead of grass or sand.    Swings i'm sure will end up banned too eventually. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And how many are dead just from driving?   Here we go, the safety police have already arrived.   God most people can't even get on a horse these days.   Parks will eventually have four point harness's on swings.   No more teeter-totters, merry go rounds.   And some have a foot of rubber cushioning instead of grass or sand.    Swings i'm sure will end up banned too eventually. 

proportionally less people die from driving in a car, wearing seatbelts, than riding in the back of a pick up.

hey, you wish to run an increased risk of dying, feel free.

Just don't pretend that more people dying is a good thing.

also make sure your risk taking doesn't take someone else's life- or legs, like Hansen's drunk buddy driver.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There is a difference in morality and ethics.   Heffy comes across as a guy who'd get mad if he saw a jay walker, or if in the prairie  saw a farmers truck not go to a full stop half a kilometre away with no traffic in site.    We don't know the details.   Not that this is a good thing.   A lot of "rules" are made based on a few darwinian level things.  Canadian  Society as whole, is leaned a tad too far in regulating everyone and everything.  Who doesn't go to a laxer country and feel better seeing a group of kids headed down the road in a the back of a pickup for a game of soccer, or ice cream.   We used to be allowed to do that too. 

Heffy would tear them a new asshole for that too i'm sure.   Or if someone didn't wear a helmet.   Based on the hyperbolic ranting's over a missed call in hockey.   One could think anyways. 

I bet he was on Team Amber Heard in 2016

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

proportionally less people die from driving in a car, wearing seatbelts, than riding in the back of a pick up.

hey, you wish to run an increased risk of dying, feel free.

Just don't pretend that more people dying is a good thing.

also make sure your risk taking doesn't take someone else's life- or legs, like Hansen's drunk buddy driver.

Gurn let's stop this.   I'm sorry the example I used wasn't good on a personal level.   

No more merry-go rounds.  No more teeter-totters.    No more sand or grass instead a foot of rubber for the kids in the park and likely soon to be a 4 point harness system on the swings before they are banned completely.   

Is that better?   Or how about this, baby seats, which are built to last a long time, can't be sold to others, or given to others must be thrown out after using in a lot of Canada.   How's that for waste.  

Ethic's isn't morality.   The laws or a country, province, municipal etc, are the rules.    They do limit things and turn us into idiotic robots.   Look at Germany in the 30's-45 and on for awhile.    Does that make my point clearer?  

Want to be ethical.   Don't ever use Amazon, or order a meal in a box to feed your family.   Actually don't ever eat out unless you have too, fast food isn't an industry this planet needs at all.  Make your own meals.   Don't buy an electric car, at least not for awhile,  Hudson Bay is about to be ripped to shreds to mine the cadmium for them, and if every house in BC had one, Hyrdo wouldn't have the power for it let alone the houses themselves .    Buy a 2-3 cylinder diesel, less refinement required that gets 40-50MPG.   And more then anything grow your our freaking food.   Sure it's work, but even a patio trelis, 10 feet long six feet high can and should yield you 60-100lbs of beans.   Can also grow tomatoes and herbs in your home instead of whatever you've got going.   If you've got a yard, grow a garden and fruit trees, use a deep freezer and can your stuff.    That's my high horse.   And while doing this jay walk all you want (if no one is around, same with a red light at 2:00am just go on right through it), and use a bike to get somewhere if you're able to and it's close.    If not your scooter (Alf). 

Edit:  And if you ever buy bottled water, you're evil.   In Canada that's never something you can't prepare for.   Actually the most despicable, piece of human trash.   We have floating plastic Islands in the Oceans right now, and if for a moment you think you're "Green " because you use a blue bin, you haven't a clue.    It's not efficient, Canada sends containers to jungle paradise and turns them into trash islands - and India.  We should be using wax paper for our meats.   We have the tech already.   Am I doing the "Heffy" right?  

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I've had an Industrial First Aid Ticket, or equivalent since I was 19 years old.-granted there have been gaps in the time since, when I was not certified.

I've worked in health care, on and off for quite sometime- I've seen the results of stupidity, and bad safety practices

I've been to too many accident scenes, both at work and just driving around, to ever be cavalier about safety.

Telling a guy that it looks like his hip is dislocated from hitting that pole, and their dog, that was riding in the box of their pick up; is now splattered against that big rock, is not a fun thing to do. Never had to tell a driver that the kids that where in the back died- but that is because laws were passed, and attitudes about safety changed.

too many accident scenes, too much injury and a few deaths.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes but you make a decision while you are driving. You can drive, in control, signal, do everything right. But some moron will still hit you. You drive like a lunatic, or drive impaired you are not only endangering yourself but everyone else. When I had a motorcycle, it was all gear all the time. This last summer I saw people in flip flops, shorts, tshirt, and a helmet on a motorcycle. Yeah you probably won't hurt others much. But they are going to enjoy the fun of steel wool trying to scrape out the gravel on your legs and other parts of the body. By your thinking we shouldn't have seatbelts, airbags, traffic signals..... you see it works both ways. It's not hard to be safe, and think things through.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes but you make a decision while you are driving. You can drive, in control, signal, do everything right. But some moron will still hit you. You drive like a lunatic, or drive impaired you are not only endangering yourself but everyone else. When I had a motorcycle, it was all gear all the time. This last summer I saw people in flip flops, shorts, tshirt, and a helmet on a motorcycle. Yeah you probably won't hurt others much. But they are going to enjoy the fun of steel wool trying to scrape out the gravel on your legs and other parts of the body. By your thinking we shouldn't have seatbelts, airbags, traffic signals..... you see it works both ways. It's not hard to be safe, and think things through.

If you are  on a bike not wearing proper equipment, that's stupid.   I've seen the results on dirt bikes (and had the pleasure of having whiped out a couple times too).   Not pretty picking out stones from your shins.   And as for road bikes, probably should be dead.   More than once.  Probably 12 times at least.    So haven't got on one in 30 years. 

I will ride my bicycle though.  My wife won't let me get a harley.   Despite the fact I look like im

a patch member.  Ok did the math, 29 years. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

If you are  on a bike not wearing proper equipment, that's stupid.   I've seen the results on dirt bikes.   Not pretty picking out stones from your shins.   And as for road bikes, probably should be dead.   More than once.  Probably 12 times at least.    So haven't got on one in 30 years. 

The way traffic is around town I don't blame you one bit.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, RWJC said:

The forward has had a tumultuous past number of seasons on the ice, including being dealt by the Maple Leafs to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2020. 

Tumultuous???  Isn't getting traded away from the Leafs a good thing?

• Like 1