The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Well i dunno about this fellow. Maybe he is over the hill now. just look at his point totals. His production has taken a dramatic slide this year opposed to the years prior.

Year G A Pts

2009 – 10 35 32 67

2010 – 11 26 22 48

2011 – 12 28 24 52

2012 – 13 13 11 24

I may be wrong, but the numbers do not lie. Maybe clutch had something after all.

He was 4th in points on our team last season and 1st in goals on our team.

I see nothing wrong.

Filppula

5 years @ $5m per

Doesn't PK

Doesn't play physical

Doesn't agitate

Only one 40+ point year in seven seasons

Yet in your mind Burrows isn't worth $4.5m.

While I agree with your point, I don't agree with your logic. Sighting a terrible contract as a reasoning for why a different player should or shouldn't make X amount of dollars is silly. Burrows is worth 4.5m, because he does kill penalties, score goals, makes plays, is solid defensively and is a leader and character player on our roster, not because Filppula is payed a stupid amount of money to suck at hockey, comparatively speaking, of course.

As long a Burrows can still think the game...like a Sedin...he should still be here. And - on the days when he is really going...the Sedins know it & they help him to really light it up out there. Sure - Kassian looks to be the heir apparent to Burr's spot on the top-line...but it's good to know Burr can jump in to give 'em his synergy in a pinch.

Burr's main draw-backs are his spastic skating-style, that gets confused for embellishment at times, by some...& the deplorable "Auger-gate" back-lash, by others. Let's hope the new Director of Officials (Stephen Walkom) & another year's credit for relatively decent and repentant behavior in the yapping-department...have bought Burr some peace with the on-ice officials for the 2013 -'14 season.

Of course, O'Halloran & Sutherland will continue to be lost causes....but that's only 2 of the 45. Besides - those guys are generally reserved for VAN vs CHI or VAN vs BOS tilts. Wonder if this trend will continue, despite the optics? Stayin' tuned...

Edited by viking mama