The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My family all have called after work to see if I'm ok.  (I'm not)

Yup, I've had calls from friends. Guess my Burrows jersey goes on my wall instead of my back now. I have to buy another Nucks jersey. Although I like the return, it's still a sad day.

• Upvote 3

I posted in this thread once upon a time under my old name coyotecanuck (lost that account due to email problems). I was one of Burr's biggest fans over the years as many of you were. Not to Deb's level but close! 

All I can say is lets go Sens! 

I nominate this thread as the best place to cheer Burr on to a cup. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Yup, I've had calls from friends. Guess my Burrows jersey goes on my wall instead of my back now. I have to buy another Nucks jersey. Although I like the return, it's still a sad day.

Wear it with joy!

Burr has a zest for the game like few others. It's great for him to sign for 2 more years and be closer to his extended family. Although it is tough to see him leave once people sleep on it and reconcile the return it should make most fans happy. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think the minute human beings stop getting involved to the point where trash talking doesn't exit is the minute sports dies in general. Emotions are the heart and soul behind almost any sport and to except humans being to stop being human beings..... it's simply unrealistic....

Burrows is a human being, like you, like me and I don't see what people should get upset over humans having emotions. Sometimes those emotions need to be let out. That's sports. Get over it. ;)

To add to your comment the hate never equated to the reality of his actions. The bite was a mistake, but hey, Bergeron fishhooks his mouth, you take your chances. The fight with Keith, both players were crossing the line. The PK suspension. A joke. The only one was that high hit agains the Preds, was it Dumont. And I guess whatever he said to POS. But a case could be made that Keith Tkchuck has had more dirty plays already than Burr did in a decade. 

Pretty sad day, but all careers finish at some point. Alex Burrows' career with the Canucks was a pleasure to watch. I love the underdog who has to scrap to get what they want. Alex was all that and more. How cool is it when you sit back a little and think about all of the awesome things Alex did on and off the ice and how much joy he brought to so many of us.

It is easy for me to cheer for Alex as we share the same last name and my birth date is the 14th. So it was no wonder he was my favorite player.

I wish him all the best in Ottawa.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I don't buy many team jerseys, but I need to pick up a Burrows one before they're gone forever (aside from 2nd hand or knockoff stuff). I knew I should have grabbed one on Boxing Day when they were 2 for 1. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Firstname Lastname said:

This thread first started when I was in highschool. It has accompanied me through all my time in college, grad school, and now as I will soon start my own family.

This thread has been here for almost an decade, and will always have a special place in this forum.

I want to thank Clutch for making this legendary thread, and wish Burrows all the best in Ottawa. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've been enjoying this thread for a long time

Farewell slayer of dragons.

Best of luck in your future.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

I don't buy many team jerseys, but I need to pick up a Burrows one before they're gone forever (aside from 2nd hand or knockoff stuff). I knew I should have grabbed one on Boxing Day when they were 2 for 1. Oh well.

Even if they're not in stock you can order one at the team store. I was at a Boxing Day game where they were giving out discount scratch cards. I got a 50% off card for the team store. That was Burrows first full season on the team. Headed for the team store fully intending to get a Henrik jersey but then thought about how many times I had already defended Burrows being on the team that season. There was a thread at the time, almost a year before this thread was started, calling Burrows is a waste of a roster spot. So When I got there I decided on a Burrows jersey instead but didn't have any in my size. I prepaid at the 50% discount and about 10 days later got the call that my jersey had arrived.

• Upvote 2

He's been a Canuck for as long as I can remember being a fan. I feel thankful to have been able to watch him play for all of these years, and has definitely been an inspiration to many people, including myself.

Best of luck Burr, go win that cup.

• Upvote 1

Hell yea we need him!

Haven't posted in years and get pulled out of lurker retirement into this legendary thread.

Alex Burrows, Vancouver loves you bro!

Thank you for everything especially the dragon slayer goal!!!

I called it as soon as you got the penalty in ot, everybody cr@pped their pants but I knew you would redeem yourself.

I got mauled by everybody in the room as you intercepted the clear and I yelled "WATCH BURR!!!!"

You're a true role model and it would be an honor to meet you one day.

Edited by ynot-llat
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Production comes in many forms.  What you see on the scoreboard is only part of it.   When a team is struggling and there's a guy who will rally everyone...who doesn't give up, even if we're behind, that counts for something.   His determination and never say die attitude set a great example for younger guys, who could roll over and let the negative creep in to affect their mental game if someone wasn't there to balance it all out.  Cheer them on...just like he said he'll continue to do.  He produces in the form of a winning mentality that has no quit.

People with one dimensional thinking check stats and points for value.  Some of us go to the games and see all the inner workings...the chemistry....the glue that can keep teams together even through the rough patches.   Let's face it, this team has had those...the adversity we've faced at times has been huge.  But he never shies away...he was always available to provide his honest insight.

There's a guy who cheers harder than everyone else FOR everyone else.   The guy who digs pucks out of the net at every warm up and high fives each and every teammate at the end of the game.  Brings a team together.   That improves a team....when you know the guy beside you has your back. 

A guy who is the epitome of never quitting and giving it your all because...who knows?   Even when he wasn't racking up points, he was invested.  Always.   And we'll only realize the full magnitude of it once he's gone.  Big skates to fill, and we just lost a piece of our heart.

Super well written. +1

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Production comes in many forms.  What you see on the scoreboard is only part of it.   When a team is struggling and there's a guy who will rally everyone...who doesn't give up, even if we're behind, that counts for something.   His determination and never say die attitude set a great example for younger guys, who could roll over and let the negative creep in to affect their mental game if someone wasn't there to balance it all out.  Cheer them on...just like he said he'll continue to do.  He produces in the form of a winning mentality that has no quit.

People with one dimensional thinking check stats and points for value.  Some of us go to the games and see all the inner workings...the chemistry....the glue that can keep teams together even through the rough patches.   Let's face it, this team has had those...the adversity we've faced at times has been huge.  But he never shies away...he was always available to provide his honest insight.

There's a guy who cheers harder than everyone else FOR everyone else.   The guy who digs pucks out of the net at every warm up and high fives each and every teammate at the end of the game.  Brings a team together.   That improves a team....when you know the guy beside you has your back. 

A guy who is the epitome of never quitting and giving it your all because...who knows?   Even when he wasn't racking up points, he was invested.  Always.   And we'll only realize the full magnitude of it once he's gone.  Big skates to fill, and we just lost a piece of our heart.

Well said. Contribution isn't always on the scoreboard. Just to add, he was an incredible practical joker as well. Something that's helps keep the room light through good or bad. Also watching the games how many times have we seen Burr talking to young guys on the bench pointing and explaining things to them. He's going to be missed on and off the ice.

• Upvote 1