The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

- I also disliked the final Dany scene. Shooting the collars at them, the arrows shot before Daario...please too cheesy for me. I also found it absurd how she was talking to the people of Meereen when she was so far away. First it showed the Champion coming out of a gate that looked very far away, next second they can all some how all hear her?

I know I'm being way too critical, I blame the books for being so damn good

This made me laugh lol

It's a TV show, not reality. You're being way too critical bro

Anyways, I love Daenerys..... But maybe it's just me loving the actress.

Edited by soshified

Also, not a fan of how everyone seems to be constantly fawning over Daenerys. I get why some of the long term associates she has are so loyal. However, it seems like every guy she meets is willing to risk their lives just to get into her pants. It's a bit much.

If you'd ever encountered a lady like her in real life you know the admiration comes before wanting to get in the pants.

I will also add the music in the credits was wonderful. The credit music this season is top notch.

- I also disliked the final Dany scene. Shooting the collars at them, the arrows shot before Daario...please too cheesy for me. I also found it absurd how she was talking to the people of Meereen when she was so far away. First it showed the Champion coming out of a gate that looked very far away, next second they can all some how all hear her?

I know I'm being way too critical, I blame the books for being so damn good

I actually thought the same thing she was pretty far away. Though earlier in the episode Little Finger told Dontos to keep his voice down because it carries over the water. Maybe it works the same with flat empty plains.

i find almost every scene with the dragon woman to be unbearably cheesy. she's made for an action movie.

In a way I feel like her entire story line feels like its own movie and is separate from the show. Everything is just different in her world and she has her own budget.

I think the writers have done a poor job with Daario Naharis. His lines used to be delivered with a lot of arrogance and I don't give an eff I'll do what I want. Now he's asking Dany's permission for things that don't seem to be of his character. I don't blame the new actor, he can only do so much with the lines he's given.

I'm looking forward to the showdown between Oberyn and the Mountain. I wonder if the Hound will show up?

Daario was ruined for me the moment I found out the differences in his character from the book xD

The Mountain has been a character I have looked forward to seeing with him being recasted. Plus at this point I feel they have pounded the point that Oberyn likes sex into my head far enough, I want to see him fight. Though I doubt the Hound shows up. He is making his way up to Eyrie still and would have to get there ransom Ayra than head all the way back to Kings Landing which I doubt he wants to do or even is welcome to given how he left. Unless I am mistaken didn't he say he wanted to get his money and leave for Essos?

Tommen/Tywin scene was brilliant.

It really was. In rewatching it was my favorite scene of that episode. It makes me more optimistic about the future.

If you'd ever encountered a lady like her in real life you know the admiration comes before wanting to get in the pants.

Unless you physically saw her before knowing anything about her. For example Drogo did straight rape her before he seemed to actually respect her. Plus given the time period in general it isn't like women's rights is flourishing especially in Essos.

Daario himself pretty admitted to joining her because she was hot, not because of her moral crusade. Hell he even has naked women on his weapons. It may be in her best interest not to attack anyone with a more attractive woman or he may deliver Jorah, Grey Worm, and Barristan's heads to her. Viserys had no respect for her and though I don't think he pursued sex he did have that awkward scene where he groped up her naked body. Barristan who at least doesn't seem sexually interested seems like he only bothered to join her out of spite when Joffrey "fired" him and even so only says he is making a mends for not protecting her family. Of course the slaves like her because she freed them. Jorah seems like he may be the only one to have a genuine admiration for her IMO.

Good contrast from how that scene would have went with Joffrey.

Tywin: What makes a good king?

Joffrey: I'm king. A good king is whatever I say it is.

I miss Joffrey.

I also miss Viserys.

Has Ibben been referenced at all? I keep seeing that large piece of land and feel it has to have some relevance

Not that I'm aware of. It's pretty much just a place on the map.

In the books it's mentioned as the home of "whalers" and it's people are usually quite hairy, but there isn't a character of significance from Ibben.

I do wonder how that little girl could talk to that whole city. Why not give her a freakin device of some kind to make it a little more believable?

I did appreciate the killing of the champion, but wonder if not having her dragons tear him apart in front of everyone would have been a more poignant statement...

Good contrast from how that scene would have went with Joffrey.

Tywin: What makes a good king?

Joffrey: I'm king. A good king is whatever I say it is.

I love how Tywin clearly took over the throne right under cerseis nose in that scene.

• Upvote 1

First half of the episode seemed predictable/expected. The 2nd half was very interesting though.

However I made a habit out of letting people share with me past events in the books and differences from the show. Now I have started reading the books despite being hesitant to commit to such lengthy reads as it simply seems like that is the story to gook to pass up. I shall soon convert to the other thread! Though not for another year.

First half of the episode seemed predictable/expected. The 2nd half was very interesting though.

However I made a habit out of letting people share with me past events in the books and differences from the show. Now I have started reading the books despite being hesitant to commit to such lengthy reads as it simply seems like that is the story to gook to pass up. I shall soon convert to the other thread! Though not for another year.

really? exact opposite of you, i put the books down because the story totally failed to grab me in that form. for me, it's actually more compelling as a tv show. seems cheap to dig at Martin "as a writer," given it is kinda trashy fantasy stuff, but i think the dialogue is cringe-worthy at times, and really great at others. i wonder if that's because Martin just writes cheesy stuff, or if its through novel-to-television translation where being concise is more important than being artful? do i really want to commit hours and hours to find out over the next 50,000 pages? idk

either way, when i hear people gruffly command "I FORBID YOU TO DIE" i can't help but roll my eyes lmao. but then tonight's episode had plenty of great exchanges that make me want to run and pick up the books.

anyway, thought tonight's episode was fantastic, minus the token awful dragon woman scene. really great atmosphere. great dialogue (as i said), and plenty to be excited for next week without there being some explicit cheap hook, a la breaking bad

Edited by GLASSJAW

Interesting episode, some great things some not so great. Definitely a huge improvement over last week.

-The sacking of Mereen seemed way too rushed. The show also made it seem like it was a really easy mission which was disappointing. And of course we just had to get that cheesy fade out scene of Dany and the Targaryen flag atop the pyramid almost five minutes after they sacked the city.

- Jaime's scenes were really good, taking away some of the damage done by last week's episode.

-Littlefinger/Sansa with another great scene

- I'm not sure what to make with the stuff a the Wall and to the North, it doesn't seem too bad so far but they are changing it significantly from the books which doesn't always end well. At least Kit Harrington's acting is a lot better so far this season.

- Does Jon have to find out about everything off screen? Eddard's death (I think), Robb's death and now finding out Bran is alive and North of the Wall.

- That last scene with WW Darth Maul was really intense. That might even be a spoiler for book readers (I haven't finished Dance yet so I'm not sure if that happened).

Overall one of the best episodes this season

For anyone wondering about the timeline, I just found out episode 8 is title "The Mountain and the Viper". It looks like the fight scene won't happen until then which is odd considering how much further other story lines have already progressed.

Edited by Beluga Whale