The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

One of the complaints that I (sort of) agree with is how dark everything was. It made it really hard to follow what was happening during the battle scenes. Focusing on each character for about a millisecond before moving on didn't help either.

For the cinematography is dark and full of terrors.....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I would've liked to see the Dothraki on the front line with a very heavy archer presence behind them raining fire on the walkers as they advance. Along with the catapults. As the walkers get too close, the archers can fall back, kind of like how everyone did once they realized they were losing, and man the walls while the Dothraki fight and unsullied advance. I'm not a military strategist but this seems to make more sense than the blind charge into the dark. It was eerie how all the flaming swords went out and everyone back at Winterfell was major league $&!#ting their pants.

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I would've liked to see the Dothraki on the front line with a very heavy archer presence behind them raining fire on the walkers as they advance. Along with the catapults. As the walkers get too close, the archers can fall back, kind of like how everyone did once they realized they were losing, and man the walls while the Dothraki fight and unsullied advance. I'm not a military strategist but this seems to make more sense than the blind charge into the dark. It was eerie how all the flaming swords went out and everyone back at Winterfell was major league $&!#ting their pants.

I also didn't like the strategy. They send the Horde straight at the Army of the dead and then start using the trebuchets? They only got off a few salvos before they had to stop for fear of hitting their own guys. Why not rain fire for a half hour or so and then let the Dothraki have at them?

Gotta say though, the fiery arakhs was a cool effect when seen from Jon and Dany's viewpoint.....and pretty stunning to see how they were quickly extinguished from the Winterfell viewpoint. I'm wondering why Red Mel had such an easy time with those, but had to repeat the spell so many times to light the trench fire...:unsure:

• Upvote 1

After sleeping on it I am pretty satisfied overall. Still think Sam Tarly should be dead, for sure Gendry. How does that guy survive with little fighting experience?! Plot armour to marry Arya I suppose. Anyway, I was on Reddit and many were pointing out the symbolism behind the sacrificial deaths of Dondarrion and Theon. Dondarion dies getting repeatedly stabbed holding a doorway in a crucifixion stance and Theon with the spear in the side - parallels to the death of Jesus Christ, sacrificing himself for the people.

It will be interesting to see what they have left to march on King's Landing with.

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I also didn't like the strategy. They send the Horde straight at the Army of the dead and then start using the trebuchets? They only got off a few salvos before they had to stop for fear of hitting their own guys. Why not rain fire for a half hour or so and then let the Dothraki have at them?

Gotta say though, the fiery arakhs was a cool effect when seen from Jon and Dany's viewpoint.....and pretty stunning to see how they were quickly extinguished from the Winterfell viewpoint. I'm wondering why Red Mel had such an easy time with those, but had to repeat the spell so many times to light the trench fire...:unsure:

I think it was alluding to what happens to her later on. Nothing left. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think it was alluding to what happens to her later on. Nothing left. 

Wasn’t that more to there was nothing left for her to do what with all the evil baddies gone more than she had nothing else left in the tank.  Sure there are still slime like Cersei and the like around but not anywhere on the same level as the army of the dead.e

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Daenerys loses almost everything too to get the job done, that part hasn't been discussed much. Whats she left with? 

She still has her 2 dragons (as seen in the preview for next week) and her lover/nephew and her hand. 

Poor Jorah lived and died in the friend zone, but she was only ever going to "like him as a friend" 

Also given that she actually picked up a sword and fought whereas Sansa hid, Dany should have full support of the North. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

She still has her 2 dragons (as seen in the preview for next week) and her lover/nephew and her hand. 

Poor Jorah lived and died in the friend zone, but she was only ever going to "like him as a friend" 

Also given that she actually picked up a sword and fought whereas Sansa hid, Dany should have full support of the North. 

its getting interesting, there are claims new and old now to the throne all over the place, and her fighting and Sansa hiding may play into it for sure. That could be the "truth" she was talking about facing. 

They need to give Arya a scene strutting through Winterfell to Stayin Alive by the bee gee's.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

For everyone that thinks Jon should have given final blow

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for you know nothing jon snow

I'm starting to think he's just there to make major mistakes that leads to opportunities for others. 

41 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The Dothraki are done, but she still has some Unsullied and (as you say) a couple of Dragons. (And someone who can fly Rhaegal)

Cersei has the Iron Fleet, the Lannister forces and 12,000 Golden Company fighters. I don't think we've seen our last battle scene. Hopefully the next one takes place in the daytime, so we can see WTF is going on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The Dothraki are done, but she still has some Unsullied and (as you say) a couple of Dragons. (And someone who can fly Rhaegal)

Cersei has the Iron Fleet, the Lannister forces and 12,000 Golden Company fighters. I don't think we've seen our last battle scene. Hopefully the next one takes place in the daytime, so we can see WTF is going on.

Couldn't the 2 dragons just fly over and burn the entire fleet and the soldiers? Especially if they're not expecting it. 

But leave Cersei for Jamie's golden hand to choke her. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Couldn't the 2 dragons just fly over and burn the entire fleet and the soldiers? Especially if they're not expecting it. 

But leave Cersei for Jamie's golden hand to choke her. 

You would think so. The same way Drogon tore through the combined Lannister and Tarly forces outside of Highgarden. But that would be too easy, You can bet the show writers will have some reasons for that not to happen.

As far as Jaime strangling Cersei there are a few candidates and I think everyone's favorite is Arya, using Jaime's face. Still, with Cersei trying to hire Bronn to assassinate both her brothers, I don't think it will be that easy for Arya or Jaime to get close to her.

Another theory (albeit an unlikely one) is that we might be reading a bit too much into Maggy the Frog's prophecy. The Valonqar is the little brother, but I don't see why it has to be her little brother. Euron is a little brother as well....

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but I wonder who's the new Lord (or Lady) of Bear Island. Did the line die out with Lyanna and Jorah?

I think so. Jorah mentioned that he and Lyanna were the last of their line the episode before. I'd imagine a new family becomes the lords of Bear Island or it gets absorbed by another house. 

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

what, like multiple episodes of 1000s of dead guys wasn't quite enough :P 

Man the budget decisions on this show must have been something... do we spend $1 million more on dead dudes, or on dragon scenes?