The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think everyone wanted to see the Valonqar angle...

The fact that Jaime was holding her in the neighborhood of her throat was a weak acknowledgement of the prophecy. Better to have skipped it entirely, if that's how it was going to go.

meh, he still led her down there

On 5/14/2019 at 11:44 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Again, I think we just need to agree to disagree.

I don't believe her decisions in Slaver's Bay were based on military expedience. I believe she truly cared about those people. I doubt that either of us will convince the other, so we might as well leave it at that.

daenerys-khaleesi-people-cant-love-jon-s

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2019 at 10:15 AM, canuckster19 said:

Someone should have given her a Snickers bar with her Starbucks, I honestly don't know how to feel about what I watched, is it just them doing the somewhat unexpected or what?

I was really hoping for a trial by combat for Cersei which would be the Clegane Bowl.... guess that's not happening.

Rushed, everything is rushed.

Game-Of-Thrones-season-8-episode-5-memes

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Game-Of-Thrones-season-8-episode-5-memes

The more I think about it, the more I think the blame falls on George RR Martin.  I understand if he took a little extra time in getting the material out, but he knows his story is ****ed.  His last two books were not well-written and his side plots have spun out of control.  Now he has to tie everything up in two books... all because of a mess he made.

How much can be blamed on D&D?  Once the series took off, certainly they didnt expect Martin to come out with NOTHING new since their first season.  8 years and nothing new.  If JK Rowling didnt finish her books, the Potter movies would have been screwed.  They would still have to make the films, and the writers would have no choice but to come up with random things.  This has been the outcome for D&D.  Sure, they suck at this, but GRRM deserves flak for not keeping up his end of the bargain.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The more I think about it, the more I think the blame falls on George RR Martin.  I understand if he took a little extra time in getting the material out, but he knows his story is ****ed.  His last two books were not well-written and his side plots have spun out of control.  Now he has to tie everything up in two books... all because of a mess he made.

How much can be blamed on D&D?  Once the series took off, certainly they didnt expect Martin to come out with NOTHING new since their first season.  8 years and nothing new.  If JK Rowling didnt finish her books, the Potter movies would have been screwed.  They would still have to make the films, and the writers would have no choice but to come up with random things.  This has been the outcome for D&D.  Sure, they suck at this, but GRRM deserves flak for not keeping up his end of the bargain.

The dude is 70 years old and and went from a "getting by" chess tournament director and part-time teacher to a guy nosing towards $100 million dollar net worth.   Give the guy a break - the creative juices may well have been stalled somewhat by a lifestyle change that one can only imagine would have been potentially dramatic.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The dude is 70 years old and and went from a "getting by" chess tournament director and part-time teacher to a guy nosing towards $100 million dollar net worth.   Give the guy a break - the creative juices may well have been stalled somewhat by a lifestyle change that one can only imagine would have been potentially dramatic.

Many people underestimate the work that goes into these kinds of things.  He created his own world ffs. Like tou said if he has a form of writers block its best for him not to rush it likethe show writers. Die a hero instead of becoming the villain. 

• Upvote 1

300,000 GoT fans want a "re-do" of the final season:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/entertainment/game-thrones-petition/index.html

There are more than a few people out there who want winter to come again, but differently.

As of Thursday morning a Change.org petition titled "Remake Game of Thrones Season 8 with competent writers." had more than 350,000 signatures.
"[Showrunners] David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on," the petition reads. "This series deserves a final season that makes sense. Subvert my expectations and make it happen, HBO!"

Actually, I'd guess that number is far higher than 300k. That's just the number who signed a meaningless petition. My guess would be that around 80 or 90 percent of fans are diappointed with the final season.

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Many people underestimate the work that goes into these kinds of things.  He created his own world ffs. Like tou said if he has a form of writers block its best for him not to rush it likethe show writers. Die a hero instead of becoming the villain. 

I think it's a bit of both. Martin has always been an extremely slow writer. Those of us who were into the book series long before the TV series even started, have experience with waiting for the next novel from Uncle George.

That being said, on several occasions he has alluded to the fact that his new found fame has slowed the pace of his writing even more. He has more events to attend, more interviews to give, consulting on the TV series, etc.

It doesn't change the fact that he writes at a snail's pace. I recall several years ago, reading an except from WoW....it's the book's version of the scene where Arya kills Ser Meryn, although, in the books, it isn't Meryn Trant that Arya kills and it's far less graphic and gory....

The "victim" in this case is Rafford, who goes by the nickname Raff the Sweetling. Arya (who's name is "Mercy" at this point) has reason to hate Raff, because he (not Polliver, as it was in the TV series) was the one who killed Lommy Greenhands before Arya and her friends were captured by the Mountain's men and taken to Harrenhal.

(Remember when Yoren tells the Kings Guard leader how he could nick an artery on the inner thigh and he would bleed out? That's basically what Mercy/Arya does to Rafford)

1 hour ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Gotta give it to the actors, at least they’ve been honest and haven’t hid their feelings. This is as telling as it gets :lol:

Lena Headey is on record saying she hated the fact that Cersei agreed to sleep with Euron. I believe her words to D & D were "Cersei would never do that!"

I agree with her. In fact this entire season had been one big, "He/She would never do that!"

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Lena Headey is on record saying she hated the fact that Cersei agreed to sleep with Euron. I believe her words to D & D were "Cersei would never do that!"

I agree with her. In fact this entire season had been one big, "He/She would never do that!"

The same Cersei that was sleeping with her scrawny, teenaged cousin?

Oh wait Euron was not scrawny, a teen or a cousin.

Right, Cersei would never do that  lol

23 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

She wanted something from Lancel. With Euron, she already had what she wanted and knew he really had no other prospects.

We can agree to disagree that Cersei would have given in so easily.

44 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Lancel looking like a poor man's Jamie has to factor in a lot......

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

except for the battle plans being competely stupid and the plot angles being less fleshed out, there isn't much to complain about who'd do what in this series. Lets see:

Sansa: she'd do what she's doing

Arya: Ditto

Jon:  Ditto

Sam: Ditto

Jorah: Ditto

Theon: Ditto

Dany:  Ditto. A genocider who keeps harping about committing genocide for last 8 seasons would commit genocide when emotionally unstable, feeing alone and grieving.

Tyrion: he'd not do anything he's done the last 3 seasons but the lobotomized Tyrion of the last 3 seasons would've done exactly what he's been doing...so i dunno

Varys: definitely wouldn't 'do that' in terms of sharing his treasonous thoughts with Tyrion or Aunt-lover.

Cercei: definitely wouldnt sleep with Euron. Defintely wouldn't let Tyrion and Dany get away with 50 bodyguards standing 100m from her city gates. 

Bran: he's been so creepy and so useless that you can make him do anything or not do anything and it'd fit his character arc.

8 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

That is true. HBO can't still around waiting for him to start writing again. And isn't he still a producer on the show? Shouldn't he have a say in all of this (season 8)? If he doesn't object to how this is going down then who's to say if he had written the rest of the story that the TV product would be any better. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe I missed something as I am not as much of an aficionado as yourself.  I haven't read the books yet and have only watched the series once.

But wasn't Cersei already carrying Jamie's child?  So wouldn't sleeping with Euron provide a cover story for who the father was just like how she claimed her previous children were from Robert Baratheon?  Or am I getting it all wrong?

7 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe I missed something as I am not as much of an aficionado as yourself.  I haven't read the books yet and have only watched the series once.

But wasn't Cersei already carrying Jamie's child?  So wouldn't sleeping with Euron provide a cover story for who the father was just like how she claimed her previous children were from Robert Baratheon?  Or am I getting it all wrong?

It'd have made sense in that case if she married Euron, since siring a child with a lord means nothing if you are not married: the child is still a bastard and gets nothing.

Just now, canuckistani said:

It'd have made sense in that case if she married Euron, since siring a child with a lord means nothing if you are not married: the child is still a bastard and gets nothing.

I was thinking that at least she wouldn't have to admit the child was her brother's child too.

Just now, goalie13 said:

I was thinking that at least she wouldn't have to admit the child was her brother's child too.

yeah but the difference between being her brother's bastard or Euron's bastard is a bit of extra humiliation. The child still gets nothing either way.