The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Anyone else surprised by how good a shot Schroeder has? His passing ability and IQ have always beem superb, but his shot is amazingly accurate. At this point in time, I'd say he's our most NHL ready prospect ahead of Jensen, Gaunce, and Horvat.

Yeah, he's always had a good shot, just not the mentality to use it. Hopefully they get him to shoot more.

he won't be waived. looking at the schedule, he's going to miss around 6-8 games. santorelli is going to get to draw into the line up, then when schroeder gets back up to speed those two will be competing. pretty awesome if you ask me; those 2 are competing for a spot occupied by ebbett before derek roy was in the picture. our forward depth this year is way more preferable compared to last season.

I think a lineup of:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Richardson - Santorelli - Weise

Sestito

looks pretty neat actually.

• 3 months later...

Sedin Sedin kassian

Burrows Schroeder Kesler

Higgins Santo Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise/Booth

Hamhuis Tanev

Edler Garrison

Stanton Bieksa

Luongo

Lack

on paper we actually look decent when everyone's healthy lol... I want Schroeder over santo on 2nd line is due to the fact that I want Higgins Santo and Hansen focus more on defensive responsibility ... an area which all 3 of them are doing better at than their offensive games ... plus I believe Schroeder is a better passer than Santo and this will benefit Kesler more

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of fans closing the book on this guy.I believe he does have a future here, but as a winger, not a center. His skills would be much more effective coming from the outside where he can use his speed to get around defenders. He has incredible hockey smarts and has a knack for finding the right play. At center, however, I think he is so outmatched size wise that he can t use his speed effectively enough to exploit defenses the way I know he can. I think he and Burrows on opposing wings would be a nightmare for any team. Kesler centering them would, in my mind, develop into a juggernaught offensively.

I see a lot of fans closing the book on this guy.I believe he does have a future here, but as a winger, not a center. His skills would be much more effective coming from the outside where he can use his speed to get around defenders. He has incredible hockey smarts and has a knack for finding the right play. At center, however, I think he is so outmatched size wise that he can t use his speed effectively enough to exploit defenses the way I know he can. I think he and Burrows on opposing wings would be a nightmare for any team. Kesler centering them would, in my mind, develop into a juggernaught offensively.

I'd like to also see Schroeder adapt to the wing. The only time I've seen him on the wing was with the Moose where he struggled mightly

Schroeder a winger...check his size will you. Vcr is trying very hard to become bigger and tougher down the boards. To over power the opposition in the corners and the solution is lets move the midget to wing. Hey I like Schroeder but he has to have room to demonstrate his skill and hockey IQ...slugging it out on the wall is not where he can show what he has. This is why Kassian is so well thought of he's the pro typical NHL winger that most teams are looking for MG is likely praying...frequently...that players like Labate Grenier, Gaunce, Jensen, Mallet, Lain and Horvat will follow suit and give this team some weight along the boards in the future. Here's a good rule of thumb ....make sure your forwards are players that can handle and maybe intimadate the oppositions "D"....I'm not saying fighting but players that can bang them around and make them just dump the puck and get out of the way. with a modicum of skill and able to drive to the net. Now tell me is that a picture of Schroeder

Schroeder a winger...check his size will you. Vcr is trying very hard to become bigger and tougher down the boards. To over power the opposition in the corners and the solution is lets move the midget to wing. Hey I like Schroeder but he has to have room to demonstrate his skill and hockey IQ...slugging it out on the wall is not where he can show what he has. This is why Kassian is so well thought of he's the pro typical NHL winger that most teams are looking for MG is likely praying...frequently...that players like Labate Grenier, Gaunce, Jensen, Mallet, Lain and Horvat will follow suit and give this team some weight along the boards in the future. Here's a good rule of thumb ....make sure your forwards are players that can handle and maybe intimadate the oppositions "D"....I'm not saying fighting but players that can bang them around and make them just dump the puck and get out of the way. with a modicum of skill and able to drive to the net. Now tell me is that a picture of Schroeder

You're idea is that Schroeder needs to be able to crash and bang to be an effective winger but that's only one type of winger that makes teams effective. There are more than one type of winger that can make teams effective. You have Patrick Kane in Chicago that has consistently shown you don't need size and you can create space for yourself.

Kane is an exception? Alright, Andrew Cogliano has show to be an effective third liner in Anaheim. Tyler Ennis in Buffalo (think he recently got shifted to center) . Nathan Gerbe has really shone this season in Carolina. Matt Calvert and Cam Atkinson in Columbus. Jaden Schwartz in St. Louis. Danny Briere has had a good career as both a winger and centre. Mats Zuccarello is again, another small winger that's effective cause of his skill.

I will say that small wingers do a lot better with larger players on their line. Based on how the Canucks future is being built (tons of size). If Schroeder can shift to the wing at the pro level. He could be an effective top 9 winger.

I don't understand why he can't just be the 3rd line centre flanked with bigger/grittier players?

Having a line consisting of Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian sounds decent IMO.

Jensen being a 2-way sniper, Schroeder being defensively reliable playmaker, with a huge power forward on RW. Each of them being quick and fast skaters too. Similar to what the WCE were.

I don't understand why he can't just be the 3rd line centre flanked with bigger/grittier players?

Having a line consisting of Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian sounds decent IMO.

Jensen being a 2-way sniper, Schroeder being defensively reliable playmaker, with a huge power forward on RW. Each of them being quick and fast skaters too. Similar to what the WCE were.

I can't speak for everyone but for myself, looking ahead a year or two, it's do you start Horvat or Schroeder as your 3rd C? In most cases it's Horvat. There is also Guance.

You're idea is that Schroeder needs to be able to crash and bang to be an effective winger but that's only one type of winger that makes teams effective. There are more than one type of winger that can make teams effective. You have Patrick Kane in Chicago that has consistently shown you don't need size and you can create space for yourself.

Kane is an exception? Alright, Andrew Cogliano has show to be an effective third liner in Anaheim. Tyler Ennis in Buffalo (think he recently got shifted to center) . Nathan Gerbe has really shone this season in Carolina. Matt Calvert and Cam Atkinson in Columbus. Jaden Schwartz in St. Louis. Danny Briere has had a good career as both a winger and centre. Mats Zuccarello is again, another small winger that's effective cause of his skill.

I will say that small wingers do a lot better with larger players on their line. Based on how the Canucks future is being built (tons of size). If Schroeder can shift to the wing at the pro level. He could be an effective top 9 winger.

I'm saying the opposite, Schroeder will never crash and bang...just watch the last couple of games...any a ction on the boards and he's hanging off about 5 feet from the scrum on the wall. All indications are MG wants big wingers like LA., St L it may not be the only way but that's the design MG has settled for. Would he OK at centre with a couple of bookends sure much like Cliff Ronning did well with Sandalak and Momeso. I'm not saying he should bewritten off but surely we can see MG has developed a penchant for big is better on the wing

I'm saying the opposite, Schroeder will never crash and bang...just watch the last couple of games...any a ction on the boards and he's hanging off about 5 feet from the scrum on the wall. All indications are MG wants big wingers like LA., St L it may not be the only way but that's the design MG has settled for. Would he OK at centre with a couple of bookends sure much like Cliff Ronning did well with Sandalak and Momeso. I'm not saying he should bewritten off but surely we can see MG has developed a penchant for big is better on the wing

Fair enough but the second half of my post points to small players that are able to play well on the wing and a small winger can still work in MG "grand picture" based on line mates (Stl has Schwartz). This mentally is probably what led them to pick highly skilled but small Shinkaruk.

It's tough to see Schroeder staying with the Canucks based on the centre prospects we have in the pipeline, LaBate, Horvat, Cassels and Guance being the most notable.

What I'm saying and other posters are saying is, if he stays a Canuck longterm it likely has to be on the wing.

I would like to see Schroeder and Kesler together on a line ala Bergeron and Marchand.

Schroeder has the speed to keep up and playmaking that Kes needs. It would also allow for offensive creativity as Kesler can drive down low and Schroeder can cover up high and defensively from time to time. The amount of quality looks Kesler would get will increase with Jordan's excellent passing and his size won't be an issue if they are defending against top lines.

Schroeder is top 6 or bust long term. The thought of him on our 3rd or 4th line playing against heavy west teams is hardly ideal.

Archived