The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

We're not winning much these days..  if there is room to rotate prospects or callups (and there is), then equal opportunity should be given. 

Thats all I'm trying to say here, others keep asking Why?

Im saying why not?

You don't know what you have until you pull it out of the bag.

While I accept your point that we are not winning (enough) anyone with an open mind would have to agree we are trying our utmost to do so. In what world does rotating players justify weakening a team's performance and compete level? 

Is that fair on Bo, Baertschi, Sutter and others, to expect them to put in the same effort when they can see that players who are making a difference like the 3 I have mentioned are being rotated/passed over just for sake of giving others who didn't grasp their chance when they had the opportunity to play?

Many, like me are enjoying this new found effort and high compete level and realise it would probably result in more wins if we had another couple of forwards who could light up the scoreboard. (Hansen and Rodin might be all it takes, until we get some of our prospects coming through)

So many people, and I'm not saying you are one of them, just want to constantly change, destroy and tear things down, in the hope we will get lucky and land some superstar. These people are not Canuck fans imo, and they are certainly not hockey fans, they are glory seekers and I doubt if they even watch complete games.

They are the same idiots who come on here after a win and start planning the parade, only to come on the following day declaring we suck and this player is useless and our coach needs replaced along with our GM and the owners. They live in an artificial world unrelated to hockey reality where they are willing to tear down everything as many times as it takes in the hope they strike it lucky - they are in short immature fantisizers.

The truth is THIS IS WHERE WE ARE. We should enjoy the struggle and the transformation, the ups and the downs, the good and the bad, because in reality that is what goes on in every hockey club in the land. We are going through a period where the team/players/coaches etc more than ever before need our support and for us to show a little faith in their efforts not look for every opportunity to bash and disrespect them - the media make a good enough job of that without our help.

That's my opinion anyway and it seems to me, if you love the Club and the game then that is the best way to get you through these tough times. Any other way just leads to constant disappointment and continuing misery.

Great twist !

i do enjoy the transformation we are going through, and the times of mass injury our regular roster has taken should allow us to see more of the prospects we have. The room has been there for that.

Never have I said that I'm not a fan of the club, . Actually, I've been one for about 50 years now..  

Ive said , I'm not a fan of WD.. but it doesn't stop me from liking the club,.  Just want to see guys like Grenier get a fair shot, kinda like what Megna, and Chaput have been getting.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

While I accept your point that we are not winning (enough) anyone with an open mind would have to agree we are trying our utmost to do so. In what world does rotating players justify weakening a team's performance and compete level? 

Is that fair on Bo, Baertschi, Sutter and others, to expect them to put in the same effort when they can see that players who are making a difference like the 3 I have mentioned are being rotated/passed over just for sake of giving others who didn't grasp their chance when they had the opportunity to play?

Many, like me are enjoying this new found effort and high compete level and realise it would probably result in more wins if we had another couple of forwards who could light up the scoreboard. (Hansen and Rodin might be all it takes, until we get some of our prospects coming through)

So many people, and I'm not saying you are one of them, just want to constantly change, destroy and tear things down, in the hope we will get lucky and land some superstar. These people are not Canuck fans imo, and they are certainly not hockey fans, they are glory seekers and I doubt if they even watch complete games.

They are the same idiots who come on here after a win and start planning the parade, only to come on the following day declaring we suck and this player is useless and our coach needs replaced along with our GM and the owners. They live in an artificial world unrelated to hockey reality where they are willing to tear down everything as many times as it takes in the hope they strike it lucky - they are in short immature fantisizers.

The truth is THIS IS WHERE WE ARE. We should enjoy the struggle and the transformation, the ups and the downs, the good and the bad, because in reality that is what goes on in every hockey club in the land. We are going through a period where the team/players/coaches etc more than ever before need our support and for us to show a little faith in their efforts not look for every opportunity to bash and disrespect them - the media make a good enough job of that without our help.

That's my opinion anyway and it seems to me, if you love the Club and the game then that is the best way to get you through these tough times. Any other way just leads to constant disappointment and continuing misery.

Great twist !

i do enjoy the transformation we are going through, and the times of mass injury our regular roster has taken should allow us to see more of the prospects we have. The room has been there for that.

Never have I said that I'm not a fan of the club, . Actually, I've been one for about 50 years now..  

Ive said , I'mr not a fan of WD.. but it doesn't stop me from liking the club,.  Just want to see guys like Grenier get a fair shot, kinda like what Megna, and Chaput have been getting.

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

if there is room to rotate prospects or callups (and there is), then equal opportunity should be given. 

Thats all I'm trying to say here, others keep asking Why?

Im saying why not?

Why not? Because opportunity it's earned, not given. 

This is not the kumbaya hockey league. 

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Why not? Because opportunity it's earned, not given. 

This is not the kumbaya hockey league. 

Yes, it's earned..

And for a player like Grenier to get to the level of hockey he has, and still contribute, a fair opportunity should exist for him to show.. and that's besides the pile of injury openings we have had.

The superfiscialness of your idealism is why we will always have mediocre hockey in Vancouver.. not willing to risk, especially in a time of struggle and loss will leave no room for pleasent surprises.

Whip that horse your on into the ground J.R.!

it will be dead soon.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Yes, it's earned..

And for a player like Grenier to get to the level of hockey he has, and still contribute, a fair opportunity should exist for him to show.. and that's besides the pile of injury openings we have had.

The superfiscialness of your idealism is why we will always have mediocre hockey in Vancouver.. not willing to risk, especially in a time of struggle and loss will leave no room for pleasent surprises.

Whip that horse your on into the ground J.R.!

it will be dead soon.

He didn't earn a chance over the other guys ahead of him. End of story. 

You're the one whipping a dead horse. Get over it, it's not going anywhere. 

58 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Alex Grenier has the best combination of size and skill on the Comets but the thing that holds him back is an obvious low hockey IQ. It's very frustrating for Comets fans to watch. Both Grenier and Pedan are blessed with size and raw talent but are lacking between the ears. 

Always appreciate your posts UH,.  and I realize what your saying,. But I like to think that players like that just need to meet the right person to influence or bring out their full potential. I see no harm in a player like Grenier playing and practicing with the likes of Hansen, Burrows, Horvat etc..  even if that time is limited, its the opportunity and timing that might "flick the switch".

23 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Great twist !

Ive said , I'mr not a fan of WD.. but it doesn't stop me from liking the club,.  Just want to see guys like Grenier get a fair shot, kinda like what Megna, and Chaput have been getting.

Fine but these guys have no divine right to get into the team even if they are our prospects because the object is to win.

Chaput etc will eventually drop their form and because they are AHL players they will be sent back and replaced by someone else (Grenier perhaps) I see Gaunce maybe being sent back for a spell too as he is beginning to struggle (I just wish his wings were Dorsett and Hansen - these two, I feel would make all the difference to his play.)

41 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Fine but these guys have no divine right to get into the team even if they are our prospects because the object is to win.

Chaput etc will eventually drop their form and because they are AHL players they will be sent back and replaced by someone else (Grenier perhaps) I see Gaunce maybe being sent back for a spell too as he is beginning to struggle (I just wish his wings were Dorsett and Hansen - these two, I feel would make all the difference to his play.)

.. and sticking with the Grenier thread,.  The latest News, associated from the club, on this forum...  says that Grenier has been playing well.

Could have been in during this stretch of injuries.

38 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. and sticking with the Grenier thread,.  The latest News, associated from the club, on this forum...  says that Grenier has been playing well.

Could have been in during this stretch of injuries.

There's a comets forum?

21 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

There's a comets forum?

Don't know if or isn't Goose,.  I was referring to the news section here, an article on the Grenier callup in November.  He has been playing wel, on a team that had been struggling to date.

Keep banging that drum, Sam. Playing well doesn't automatically mean better than the other call ups, who are already in the NHL ahead of him. It's nice to see him scoring and doing well (13 points in 19 games), but he only has one more point in the AHL than Chaput this season, and Chaput did it in 10 games instead of 19. Megna had 3 points in 4 in the AHL before his call up. They both deserved to be ahead of Grenier, and playing well enough as call ups to stay ahead of him when his was just a short term call up in case of further injury.

• 1 month later...

Any reason why we haven't given Grenier a decent NHL shot this year? He's leading the Comets right now and is their top guy at the moment. He and Archibald are helping them put wins together but Grenier looks like he's a late bloomer. Big strong body, consistently produced 2nd to 1st line AHL points the last 2-3 years but now he's almost a point per game on a rubbish team.

I say give him a chance. Megna and Chaput got their opportunities but for whatever reason we haven't given Grenier a sniff this year.

With how bad Megna and Eriksson have been with the Sedins, I wouldn't mind even plonking him straight onto the twins line. Big body, young, good defensively, right handed shot - the perfect combo for the Sedins.

Sedin - Sedin - Grenier

Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows

Eriksson - Sutter - Granlund

Megna - Gaunce - Skille

Otherwise give him a shot on our bottom-6.

6 hours ago, Whale Tail said:

Greenies has had a few call ups and just never really took full advantage it seemed.  Coaches love Megan and chaput just becuase they give it their all on the ice. 

But i I do agree he is showing to deserve another shot. 

The thing with Grenier is the has the body to contribute in other ways than scoring. Like jake.  But also like jake he doesn't like to do those things for whatever reason. 

56 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

The thing with Grenier is the has the body to contribute in other ways than scoring. Like jake.  But also like jake he doesn't like to do those things for whatever reason. 

Been awhile since Grenier was up but I agree that he did not play much of a physical game. With his short opportunity timeline I would have thought he would have gone to the net more than he did. If you pencil him in as a top 9 forward I question whether he has NHL speed. I have little to base that comment on other than a rather vague memory.

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Any reason why we haven't given Grenier a decent NHL shot this year? He's leading the Comets right now and is their top guy at the moment. He and Archibald are helping them put wins together but Grenier looks like he's a late bloomer. Big strong body, consistently produced 2nd to 1st line AHL points the last 2-3 years but now he's almost a point per game on a rubbish team.

I say give him a chance. Megna and Chaput got their opportunities but for whatever reason we haven't given Grenier a sniff this year.

With how bad Megna and Eriksson have been with the Sedins, I wouldn't mind even plonking him straight onto the twins line. Big body, young, good defensively, right handed shot - the perfect combo for the Sedins.

Sedin - Sedin - Grenier

Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows

Eriksson - Sutter - Granlund

Megna - Gaunce - Skille

Otherwise give him a shot on our bottom-6.

Classic AHL'er. Not skilled enough for NHL top 6, not gritty enough for NHL bottom 6.

Archived