The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

lol Arsenal lose to Bayern for a 2nd consecutive year in CL at the Allianz Arena again and the same scoreline... 5-1 says it all.. they would have to pray that everything goes their way at the Emirates and they pour on the goals

on the other hand, United play St. Etienne in the 1st leg of their EL last 32 stage. with teams still ahead of United in the PL unless Liverpool, Arsenal drop points in their next couple matches, they have to set the tone early in this match and not let St Etienne get on the front foot with an away goal. they just got to play their game and keep doing what they have been doing in the PL as of late in their wins vs Leicester, Watford... Go United!

Arsenal yesterday was the epitome of the Premier League in the last 5-10 years. Good players, but hilariously antiquated football. There is almost no pressing at any time. Sometimes I see 8th tier teams here in Germany which are tactically more adept than some Premier League teams. And no, that's not an exaggeration.

But there's some light at the end of the tunnel with Klopp, Pep and Pochettino. Swansea had something going with Laudrup, but they've somehow managed to f'$% that up and are back to playing like my dad's sunday league team 20 years ago.

Hatty for Ibra! His first came off a deflection from a free kick he took himself and it just squeaked over the line. Then the 2nd goal he scored was a nice sublime mini run by Rashford and he was able to feed it across for Ibra who had an empty net to shoot at and didn't miss a beat. The final goal came from the spot which he had full control of the ball late in the game but got taken down. Ref give it and he potted it home for a convincing 3-0 win in the 1st leg over St. Etienne in EL last 32. Hope they take care of business in the final leg. Go United!

4 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Arsenal yesterday was the epitome of the Premier League in the last 5-10 years. Good players, but hilariously antiquated football. There is almost no pressing at any time. Sometimes I see 8th tier teams here in Germany which are tactically more adept than some Premier League teams. And no, that's not an exaggeration.

But there's some light at the end of the tunnel with Klopp, Pep and Pochettino. Swansea had something going with Laudrup, but they've somehow managed to f'$% that up and are back to playing like my dad's sunday league team 20 years ago.

I wouldn't say Wenger's inability to play big teams is a reflection on the premier league as a whole. Arsenal habitually fail to take points against the top 6 due to his naive tactics. 

8 hours ago, Caboose said:

I wouldn't say Wenger's inability to play big teams is a reflection on the premier league as a whole. Arsenal habitually fail to take points against the top 6 due to his naive tactics. 

My point was less about the fact that Wenger's choosing the wrong tactics against big teams. I think it's more about the self-absorbed way English football views itself, or has viewed. I think with the introduction of aforementioned coaches that has begun to change a bit. I remember Gary Neville not long ago talking about the essential value of 1vs1 duels on the sidelines. I remember that mostly because a couple of German tactics blogs and websites cited that video to show what is wrong with English football. Don't get me wrong. Up to 2005-06 English football was the non plus ultra of world football. I loved watching EPL back in that time, especially Arsenal. But time has caught up with it.

Same thing happened in Germany about 5 years prior to that time. We got kicked out 3-0 by a mediocre Croatia in World Cup quarter finals in 98 and didn't even survive the Euro group stage 2 years later in Portugal. From then on, the German FA started changing youth football from the ground up. More technical, more athletic, more tactical training. Huge investments in research about training methods etc were made. The coaching system was revised, youth centres were built. They forced Bundesliga clubs to invest in the youth system.

The results you see today. It changed our identity. We are no longer the Germany with technically mediocre players who fought their way to a win. We are probably for the first time in history a football nation in the upper echelon in almost every category. And talented young players keep on coming. Bundesliga players are wanted on the international market more than ever. We have an incredible amount of fantastic coaches not older than 45.

And I think something like that needs to happen in England as well. Klopp, Pep and others are bringing over the first notions, but they alone can't change the whole system. It will very likely be more difficult to change all that because there is so much money involved and there are owners who you have to persuade to go through with your ideas. It's up to the owners to keep implementing modern football into the league.

I guess, all I'm saying is: don't be Swansea. Even though I know they had other reasons why they parted with Laudrup. But then they took three steps back with their coaches.

Sorry for the long rant. :frantic:

• Upvote 2

Ivan Gazidis apparently went to Spain wrt to managerial search.

Simeone is the hopeful target.  But I guess it's more realistic trying to convince Marcelino (unattached) or Berrizzo (Celta) to come over.

Strong feeling that Sampaoli goes to Barca.

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Good result for Utd at Blackburn... followed by a rocket of a draw. Chelsea away.

And how lucky can the Gunners get. Sutton tomorrow, and the winner take on Lincoln.

Wonder if they manage to frack that up as well...

Only if Sutton have Will Grigg and Benik Afobe up top.

:frantic:United are headed to the EL last 16 after beating St. Etienne in the 2nd leg 1-0 and 4-0 on aggregate. A clean sheet for birthday boy Romero who made a few solid saves to preserve the clean sheet. A stellar delivery by Mata between the keeper and the defender after Pogba won the ball in midfield and Mkhitaryan did the rest. Really unfortunate he had to come off due to injury but Rashford came in well to fill in his place who had numerous chances of his own during the match. Pogba was a instrumental in today's match and earned man of the match honours. United look to be on their way to winning Europa League which would be the biggest trophy we would've won since Sir Alex Ferguson's PL title win in his last year. Hope we continue to build off this hot form. Go United!

• Upvote 1

United finally starting to look like a team again. 

Better by a country mile than under LVGhastly... Will be interesting to see how they fare against the bigger teams in the league. A top 4 still up for grabs.

Mourinho has been good for Utd...

EFL Cup Final for United tomorrow. Should be a stroll in the park though Southampton can cause problems so we can't underestimate them for sure. Mkhitaryan and Carrick are out for tomorrow according to Mourinho so Fellaini, Herrera, Martial, Rashford, Mata all have to step up in their absences and put everything on the line as this would be great motivation for the PL, EL and the FA Cup with having the ability to win at least the last two. Wouldn't that be something we haven't heard from United in a while.. a possible treble. Mourinho would easily be one of the best managers if he pulls it off. Go United!

WOO HOOO United up 2-1 through 45 at Wembley in the EFL Cup Final vs Southampton. Ibra got things started with a trademark free kick goal. Then Lingard finished off a brilliant series of passes between Mata, Martial and Rojo and he slotted it coolly into the bottom corner. But Southampton got a late goal before half time to cut the lead to one. Here's hoping they keep the pressure going and deliver the League Cup trophy home to United! Go United!

What a League Cup final win by United! Ibra with the late stunning header off a nice cross from Herrera to steal the trophy late from Southampton. He continues to have a brilliant season for United. He has done everything that a striker hasn't done for this club in a long time. Kudos to Southampton for putting up a good fight but United defended relentlessly and kept the ball as far away from Southampton as possible. It was a great team effort. It wasn't just about Ibra as he mentioned. It was about working hard together as a team. 2nd trophy won this year under Mourinho this year. We won the Community Shield earlier this season. Couldn't have asked for a better manager. Would be nice to win EL, FA Cup yet again and steal a top 4 spot in the PL. Go United!