Posted Image

#62 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,082 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

So because a tiny handful of people think that the term "albino" is beyond the pale, Earls is going to drop the name "Albino Rhino"? Obviously Earls does not mean anything discriminatory with the brand name. I blanch thinking about how politically correct we have to be...
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#63 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

So because a tiny handful of people think that the term "albino" is beyond the pale, Earls is going to drop the name "Albino Rhino"? Obviously Earls does not mean anything discriminatory with the brand name. I blanch thinking about how politically correct we have to be...

Or as Earl's said in its press release they did not realize how the term is perceived and it can be hurtful.

Almost a Christian-like reaction, eh?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#64 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yay political correctness! I hope they change the name to pale, weird rhino beer.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#65 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

This chick needs to take a long walk off a short pier. If it was my business and I had that name for 25 years there is no way I would change it.
Posted Image

#66 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

This chick needs to take a long walk off a short pier. If it was my business and I had that name for 25 years there is no way I would change it.

Or as Earl's said in its press release when they voluntarily made the change:

We have learned from participating in the human rights complaint process, however, that many persons with albinism are genuinely offended and feel that their dignity is negatively impacted by the use of the word “albino” in our marketing. Albinism is a very rare condition and like many Canadians we knew very little about the condition or the very real discrimination persons with albinism experience, both in Canada and around the world. Persons with albinism are a stigmatized group that face prejudice and exclusion in many areas of Canadian society.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#67 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

George Carlin, if he was still alive, would not be amused by this crap. Have any albino rhinos complained about this beer's name?
Why would albino humans get involved in what is clearly not their concern? Have these people taken Webster's dictionary and others to task about using that word in their publications?

There are no bad words, only words used badly. No matter what the word, if it is said in a sneering,condescending,threatening manner it can be percieved as a bad word.

#68 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Isn't this the same woman who also complained about the baby seats at Earls???

Posted Image

Posted Image
What a loser.

Edited by VoiceOfReason_, 18 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#69 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Isn't this the same woman who also complained about the baby seats at Earls???

No.

#70 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

As long as they still have Earl's girls who cares?

#71 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I will never shop at a place that sells crackers.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.