The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

‘Albino Rhino’ Beer At Earls Restaurants Target Of Human Rights Complaint

unbridled_id

It is related because it shows how ridiculous some of the Human Rights Tribunal decisions are.  When this ruling came out it was widely panned.   Most people thought it was a bizarre ruling.

I don't know about you, but when my boss ask me to do something, I do it.   I don't ask why or argue with him.

Where does that reasoning end though?

What if a Sikh guy has worked at a place for 16 years, then suddenly the new boss decides he doesn't like turbans, and that him wearing it hurts business. Can he force him to take it off, or be fired?

What if you work in the bible belt of the Fraser Valley, and your pro-life boss decides that he wants to advertise that stance at work, and feels that it will help attract business. Meanwhile, you're pro-choice, and feel strongly. What do you do?

And what about sexual harassment? Obviously, "when my boss ask me to do something, I do it" is not the be-all, end-all.

1. The boss is impeding the employee's freedom to practice his religion, obviously not right.

2. You go with the flow. His pro-life stance is not in any way affecting you're ability to be pro-choice. If the boss fired you for being pro-choice than you should go to the HRT. This is the point DonLever is trying to make.

Polar bears are politically incorrect now? I'm not gonna tell them!

#2 is quite similar - both in scenario and how you said it should pan out - to the case DonLever said was ridiculous.

The employee was willing to do everything except directly set up decorations for something that was against his beliefs. He was threatened with dismissal if he did not. So he went to the HRT, and they agreed that the manager was in the wrong.

Seems pretty simple and straightforward to me.

• 10 months later...

Archived