The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bourque Vs. Lidstrom

VanNuck

Just recently, pundits have been beginning to tout Niklas Lidstrom as the second greatest blueliner behind Bobby Orr, in lieu of his seven Norris trophies and longevity. I actually go one step further and would tout him as better than Orr himself, but that is another subject for another time. But there is still another blueliner who deserves acknowledgement: Ray Bourque, the Bruins’ other great blueliner.

Harry Sinden, who had coached both Bourque and Orr, indicated that Bourque had been the better defensive defenseman of the two, so that ought to count heavily for Bourque.

Like Lidstrom, Bourque too had good vision and intuition, which served him well on defense, but he had many other assets: he was faster, more physical, and a better shooter. He was also more potent offensively, averaging around 80 points per season, until his last three or four seasons – during which time, he still scored around 50 points. Lidstrom, well the best offensive season he ever had was 80 points – he is nowhere near on pace for catching Bourque.

Bourque has won only five Norris trophies, but I feel he deserved a few more – especially in 1984, after a 31-goal, 93-point season, but the Norris instead went to Rod Langway who never scored more than three goals in a season. He never won the Cup until his final season, unlike Triple Gold Club member Lidstrom, but that had more to do with their teams as a whole – and timing. Lidstrom’s Red Wings were paramount in the league, while Bourque’s Bruins in their best days were stuck behind the powerhouse Oilers.

So what do you guys think? Who is the better defender, Bourque or Lidstrom?

Hmmm well this is a tough one for me. I was very young when #77 played, plus the coverage just wasn't there when Ray played.

Defenseman had a lot more freedom and smaller goalies back in the day so a 80 point season would most likely average 65 or less in this era/dead puck era.

Lidstroms hockey IQ is off the charts, not a slight on Bourque but I'd side with Lidstrom, he makes everything so easy for his teammates.

Just recently, pundits have been beginning to tout Niklas Lidstrom as the second greatest blueliner behind Bobby Orr, in lieu of his seven Norris trophies and longevity. I actually go one step further and would tout him as better than Orr himself, but that is another subject for another time. But there is still another blueliner who deserves acknowledgement: Ray Bourque, the Bruins’ other great blueliner.

Harry Sinden, who had coached both Bourque and Orr, indicated that Bourque had been the better defensive defenseman of the two, so that ought to count heavily for Bourque.

Like Lidstrom, Bourque too had good vision and intuition, which served him well on defense, but he had many other assets: he was faster, more physical, and a better shooter. He was also more potent offensively, averaging around 80 points per season, until his last three or four seasons – during which time, he still scored around 50 points. Lidstrom, well the best offensive season he ever had was 80 points – he is nowhere near on pace for catching Bourque.

Bourque has won only five Norris trophies, but I feel he deserved a few more – especially in 1984, after a 31-goal, 93-point season, but the Norris instead went to Rod Langway who never scored more than three goals in a season. He never won the Cup until his final season, unlike Triple Gold Club member Lidstrom, but that had more to do with their teams as a whole – and timing. Lidstrom’s Red Wings were paramount in the league, while Bourque’s Bruins in their best days were stuck behind the powerhouse Oilers.

So what do you guys think? Who is the better defender, Bourque or Lidstrom?

Lidstrom, but it's very close.

Bourque's higher numbers came during a much higher scoring era. As the dead puck era came in, his numbers became more similar to Lidstrom's. He was more physical, but Lidstrom's sheer genius kinda neutralizes that, and I think the Swede is better defensively.

Then you take into consideration that Lidstrom has won a Conn Smythe, 3 more Stanley Cups, 2 more Norris trophies, and is a member of the Triple Gold Club. However, Bourque has an incredible individual legacy as the highest-scoring defence man ever, the third highest career +/-, and many other records.

I'd say in sheer ability, Lidstrom edges him out. Individual legacy, Bourque comes out on top. As an x-factor, Lidstrom has won more and at different levels. So I'm just barely giving this one to Lidstrom. 2 legendary players.

Archived