The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Luongo's Contract Will Affect Trade Value... Not In The Way You Might Think.

Is 5.3 million a great deal for a goalie of Luongo's calibre right now? Absolutely!

But will Luongo continue to play like he's worth that over the next 6 years? I'm not so sure. Most goalies start to decline in their mid-30's. I posted this in another thread:

Luongo just turned 33, and has 6 more seasons where he's due 6.714 million of salary. Now he could end up being an elite goalie throughout those years...like a Hasek, Brodeur, or Belfour. But there are far more cases of fantastic goalies suffering a severe decline in their 30's. For example:

- Marty Turco took a huge step back when he turned 34.

- Tomas Vokoun is 35, and showed signs of decline this season.

- Olaf Kolzig turned 34 right before the lockout, and never looked the same after it.

- Sean Burke had some of his best years in his 30's, but his game fell apart after turning 36.

- Similar to Burke, Arturs Irbe had some great years in his early 30's, but his game went down the crapper at 35.

- Mike Richter started his decline after turning 33.

- Even though he had a fantastic couple of months this season, Edmonton is still regretting giving a 36 year-old Nikolai Khabibulin a 4-year contract.

Will Luongo suffer the same fate? Or will he end up being one of the relatively few that can provide grade A goaltending into his late 30's?

A lot of people say that keeping Schneider and letting Luongo go is too risky. But even if you have faith in Lu, you'd still have to be daft to realize why keeping him and his massive contract is also risky. That is why we'd obviously get more of a return for trading Schneider - he's simply a more valuable asset, with far less risk.

With a young goalie looking as fantastic and ready as Cory, it might be best to cut ties with Luongo now while he's still worth something, rather than hope he won't end up a huge anchor in a couple of years.

Luongo's contract is a genius contract for a team that needs to make the cap but lacks the funds to pay out and at the end of it all still get a stellar goalie in the process. Honestly, he was impressive in this playoff run, I think he is starting to get comfortable under the pressure and facing it head on. The guy was prepared...unlike the rest of his team...

Luongo's contract is a genius contract for a team that needs to make the cap but lacks the funds to pay out and at the end of it all still get a stellar goalie in the process.  Honestly, he was impressive in this playoff run, I think he is starting to get comfortable under the pressure and facing it head on.  The guy was prepared...unlike the rest of his team...

Interesting stuff on HockeyCentral today (or one of those hockey shows).

Pierre Lebrun stated that Yzerman offered a 2nd round pick for Bernier at this yrs trade deadline. Lombardi said 'no' cause it's not enough. Lebrun also said Berniers likely on the move this summer, that he needs a 'change of scenery' (did not elaborate on why).

Bad news as it adds another goalie to the market this summer. Also a little surprised cause I thought Yzerman was high on Schneider, this info makes it unlikely Lu goes to TBL. Obviously Lu wasn't rumored to be available at trade deadline, but the cheaper option would be Bernier. Should be interesting.

Pierre Lebrun stated that Yzerman offered a 2nd round pick for Bernier at this yrs trade deadline. Lombardi said 'no' cause it's not enough. Lebrun also said Berniers likely on the move this summer, that he needs a 'change of scenery' (did not elaborate on why).

Bad news as it adds another goalie to the market this summer. Also a little surprised cause I thought Yzerman was high on Schneider, this info makes it unlikely Lu goes to TBL. Obviously Lu wasn't rumored to be available at trade deadline, but the cheaper option would be Bernier. Should be interesting.

Tampa was 1 win away from facing us in last years finals, and Bernier has 20 less career games than Schneider, so I doubt they would want to pin their hopes on a goalie with average numbers on a very good defensive team who has never played more than 25 games and zero playoff games.

Lou would get Tampa to the playoffs, and with Bernier it would be iffy at best.

The whole issue is not about contracts length or trade value or things like that, but the fact the Luongo is not a very good goalie nowadays. He is very inconsistent. If he is still elite, all other things such as contract, salary etc do not matter.

Tampa was 1 win away from facing us in last years finals, and Bernier has 20 less career games than Schneider, so I doubt they would want to pin their hopes on a goalie with average numbers on a very good defensive team who has never played more than 25 games and zero playoff games.

Lou would get Tampa to the playoffs, and with Bernier it would be iffy at best.

My thoughts exactly, that's why I was so surprised when LeBrun confirmed Yzerman wanted him. The guys never played more than 25 NHL games and didn't exactly post stellar numbers for a defense first team.

Now that Lu's potentially available, I wonder if he changes his mind.

Perhaps it is merely a bargaining ploy?

It might indeed be the case that Yzerman doesn't want to pay what Gillis would like in return for Luongo, ergo he is looking at other options, or, he is using an interest in Bernier as a means to get Gillis to drop his price.

regards,

G.

Ya, perhaps. But Lu wasn't even rumored to be available at trade deadline (when the offer was made), and everyone knew there was a good chance Schneid would be available in the summer. Why not wait till summer? My only guess is that he really does want Bernier, like you said, maybe the price for Schneid or Lu would be to high for him.

The real dilemma for Yzerman is that there are only 2 #1 goalies under the age of 35 that he can trade for. Schneids and Luongo. there are 9 other teams looking for a #1 under the age of 35. As soon as Schneids is traded, Louie is unavailable. As soon as Louie gets traded, Schneids is unavailable. If Burke makes a play for Louie then WSH have to pay more for Schneids. If CBJ want Schneids then Louies value increases.

Thomas, Vokoun and Kiprosoff are of no interest for a GM wanting to build a team. Bernier has not proven to be a starer yet. GMMG holds all of the cards and will want to get full value for either goalie. The deal might have been made already. But as already stated, nothing will get announced until after the Stanley cup final.

Gotta love Supply and demand.

The whole issue is not about contracts length or trade value or things like that, but the fact the Luongo is not a very good goalie nowadays.  He is very inconsistent.  If he is still elite, all other things such as contract, salary etc do not matter.

But does Yzerman ? It dont really matter who you think is the better option . Theres a good chance there will be a number of options out there for guys like Yzerman that either make less then Luongo or have a shorter contract that will do just fine in a trap hockey system. The market combined with speculation that Lu has asked to be dealt is going to be making really hard for Gillis to move him this summer

• 1 month later...

You clearly didn't read my post very well.

Most owners will like a goalie that is far better than what they have to pay out for him. A large chunk of his contract is already paid. If I buy my friends season tickets to the blazers for 70 percent the price but only 5 games into the season I'm going to jump on that because it's a deal. A GM will like his cap hit because for his caliber it's a good deal. So they get a goalie with 10 years left on his contract who in all likely-hood is not going to play the final 3 years of his deal. Basically all the term means is that he's there till he retires. It could be 20 years and it wouldn't make a difference to anybody. On top of that a large piece of his contract has been paid while a small piece of it has been played. Yeah...owners would way rather spend a lot of money.

And no he wasn't terrible. At times he was mediocre but he had a good year overall. Actually outside of Kesler and Malhotra nobody was really terrible in general this season on the ice.

Owners will drool over both goalies actually. Schneider would obviously be more sought after because he is much younger and has shown that he is more than just potential; he's the real deal. I don't know however wtf that has to do with this discussion. I mean clearly you're not looking too objectively but tossing Schneids into the discussion just for the sake of it seems odd to me.

Luongo's contract makes owners who actually pay the money for players take a long hard look at getting him more than it will deter them from wanting him. They get more than what they are paying for with Luongo. His cap hit is about right for the caliber of goalie he is and they pay much less than that. It's reasonably simple math but it also works on the premise of judging Luongos talent realistically which if you're thinking he had a terrible season and was mediocre at best you're not doing.

Archived