The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Mckenzie: Not Many Teams Showing Interest In Luongo

Interesting article from Sportsnet re: Nonis & Leafs:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/05/25/toronto_maple_leafs_goalie_situation_dave_nonis_toronto_marlies/

“The UFA market, there are some pieces there that might be able to help (but) generally you don’t want to build your team with UFAs. Not because it’s not good players there, but you’ve got to spend more, generally, for those players,” Nonis explained.

“For us, yes we’ll look at (unrestricted free agency), we’ll probably jump in for a couple pieces, but overall we’re going to approach the trade market as a primary source of improvement.

I think it is a function of a lot of teams having an option or a thought for a goalie ahead of Luongo. The truth is though, there are more teams looking for goalies than there are decent goalies out there. It is a lot easier to say "I want a young, elite franchise goalie that won't cost me any assets"... than it is to actually make that happen.

That means that some teams are not going to get their "ideal" choice, and Luongo is a pretty darn good option compared with chancing your entire season on a newly unretired Hasek.

Timing is a main issue of concern really, this is something we would want done by draft day so we can plan our summer. I have no doubt at all that Gillis is going to make a play for Weber, whether it is by a trade offer (backed up with the threat of an offer sheet)... or just an offer sheet. Knowing whether you have Luongo's $5.3 on the books will be important when filling holes. The teams who have a Plan A ahead of Luongo need to have that figured out soon enough to be helpful for us.

I do think that Tampa is just doing some gamesmanship here, they want us to take Vinny's contract. In my opinion we would be better off waiving Luongo than doing that. The Lecavalier contract is a beast... at worst Luongo is paid market value but for too long a term, but Vinny is worth maybe $4.5 million tops.

Worst case Luongo sits in the minors enjoying some serious Aquilini money, more realistically if that happened he would be picked up or retire.

I just don't see Schneider being moved... there is no way the fans and media accept Luongo here instead. Just look at how they deal with moving fringe players like Grabner and Hodgson (heck there are even thread now bemoaning the loss of Bernier). It would be a massive distraction right from training camp onwards, and after his first bad start Luongo would be getting booed every time he touched the puck inhis own rink. Not a recipe for success.

Another element that really confirms to me that Yzerman's hope is to get Luongo and unload Vinny's contract is that it would make NO SENSE for him to be talking about preferring a younger guy like Bernier from LA if that was his actual goal. He would only be worsening his bargaining position dramatically by doing that.

If he really was aiming for Bernier, then he would be saying publicly "there are a lot of great veteran top end goalies out there (aka Luongo) and we have an embarrassment of choices going forward in the summer"

I think it is clear that by what MG and Stevie are saying publicly, it is all in relation to discussion they have had for a trade. In my opinion Tampa's top options form their perspective:

1. Schneider (not going to happen)

2. Luongo if they get to unload Lecavalier's contract

3. Bernier or another top young guy in exchange for some real assets

4. Luongo for a package like Malone and a good young prospect/high pick

Interesting article from Sportsnet re: Nonis & Leafs:

http://www.sportsnet...oronto_marlies/

Lu anyone? lol

Mckenzie did say "at this time". It's 1 month away from July 1st, things are bound to change. In fact, they already have, Bob said it himself. Originally, there was interest, but now at the present time there isn't much. The market fluctuates, it's not uncommon. There are 'x' amount of teams looking for a goaltender, and only 'y' amount that will be available. Demand > Supply this summer. Even if teams are willing to put faith/$$ into back up goalies like Harding and Bernier, there will still be more demand than supply.

Ya, that connection is appealing, lol. But Franson's risky. He's never played top 4 mins/role for an entire season, doesn't have great underlying numbers either - he's been sheltered. But he is a BC boy :)

I wonder why Bob Mackenzie "The Insider(yeah right)" didn't break the booth trade before it happened? Not even a mention that the canucks and panthers were talking. Gillis said it was a deal that was 6+ months in the making, what an insider Bob Mackenzie is....lmao. Truth is the only inside info Bob Mackenzie has is what the GMs/team want to tell him, they could be feeding him complete false rumours to give themselves an advantage.

Something will come up. The dominoes will start falling as we near July 1st and GMs start feeling the pressure to improve their teams.

It could be that Mike is wee too greedy, which is just fine for now but at some point he'll have to give. Having both goalies back equals one good asset siting on the bench for eighty games. Unacceptable for a team that wen't down in the first round and has other needs.

Worst case scenario, I'd take Schenn (and his less than stellar cap hit) and Colborne from the Leafs for Lou. Would even throw in Raymond's rights for nothing if it would help.

I think Yzerman is just playing his cards close to the chest, while Bernier does have potential he has never really been all that good in LA, Bernier could have easily taken the work load off of Quick but it 70% of his game he was poor.

As for the Canucks and Luongo. Luongo needs to go, is he a good goalie yes but the Canucks can't afford to take another playoff melt down. I can't wait for the playoffs to start because the offseason should be very interesting for the Canucks to see what happens.

You must be new to hockey, you see mike gillis used to be an agent and one of the best ones. Seen by GMs as bloodsucking.....gmMG squeezed Burke on a few occasions hence the history. Glad to help your journey in discovering hockey. It's a great game :)

Mckenzie is epic fail. I still remember the "brave heart" comment he said on Keith. Taking a stupid penalty is a "brave heart" move? First I've ever heard of this. Anyways, as the person above said, Booth trade was 6 months in the making, no reports on it. Recently no news on the Luongo front?? To him it probably mean no one is interested. He better report this fast. So he comes out and suggests that Luongo might not be available, only because his insiders have not reported anything to him. The fact is we really don't know if anyone is interested, or not, we don't know, he probably knows as much as I do. Which is none. So lets see what happens in the next 3 weeks. Things will heat up.

Yes buddy i know Mike Gillis was a agent before he was our GM and yes he had a decent amount of clients but when has there ever been a report been made that Burke or any other GM have an issue with Gillis because he was a agent ?

Give me some online links so you can help me on my journey or are you just speaking out your ass with some weak speculation ?

I wonder why Bob Mackenzie "The Insider(yeah right)" didn't break the booth trade before it happened? Not even a mention that the canucks and panthers were talking. Gillis said it was a deal that was 6+ months in the making, what an insider Bob Mackenzie is....lmao. Truth is the only inside info Bob Mackenzie has is what the GMs/team want to tell him, they could be feeding him complete false rumours to give themselves an advantage.

Archived