The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Mckenzie: Not Many Teams Showing Interest In Luongo

I love how people are ripping Bubba to shreds when more often than not he is bang on with his inside sources. Why would there be a big market for Luongo? Was there a big market for 50 goal scorer Dany Heatley when he wanted out of town? Teams are realizing now that with goalies, younger is better. Christ, Schneiders already 26 years old. Thats old. Holtby was only 21. Young guys can carry teams deep in the playoffs. Who the hell is gonna sell the farm to get a 33 year old goalie under contract for the next 10 years.

In all honesty we are probly gonna be better off trading Cory and getting a nice return on him to a team like CBJ or something. Lus hit is reasonable and hes probably worth more to this team on it than off it. I think once Cory is gone and he has some breathing room he will be able to get back to that level where he is Vezina caliber year after year. Look at Marty.

We have so many goaltending prospects that losing Schneider doesn't really hurt all that much. With Lack and Cannata on the way we can afford to lose him if it means making our team a lot better up front.

A trade can be done. People just need to realie that Lou is probably around an 8 out of 10 goalie (with guys like Renne & Quick being 10's). and has a contract that isn't great but not horrible. Just means that the Canucks will have to accept the fact the trade value of Lou is going to be good, but fair. I expect a young prospect or veteran and a package of draft pick's e.g. 2nd and 3rd.

That would be fair for both sides. No one gives up too much and both teams get back decent value in return, meeting their team needs.

It would make sense other teams are waiting on the asking price for a young number 1 in the waiting like Bernier and also explorer the FA market for a veteran on a shorter deal with out giving up any assets.

Vokoun and Harding are going to attract plenty attention in the UFA market and Bernier and if Kipper are available  are going to be attractive to teams to and then you got a 33 year old Luongo with 10 years remaning on his contract who as other GMs know has asked to be traded even though MG is trying hard to put up a smoke screen but this has taken away any leverage that way have because of all the other options and also i forgot to include i think other teams are seeing you dont need a elite goaltender to play the trap hockey so why spend big on the postion if you dont need too

Ottawa was able to trade Heatley for Michalek and Cheechoo.

Heatley is now in Columbus and Cheechoo is toiling in the minors, and Michalek is doing great with Ottawa.

For all we know there might be a lockout, so I don't think we're going to see Luongo moved until training camp starts.

I see. I don't really see how that's relevant though because one does not have to be too connected to the Vancouver end as they can still gauge the market from the other end.

In any event there are a few posts questioning Bob's credibility but I really haven't seen the evidence yet. If he's really only accurate as 1-10 it shouldn't be too difficult to find/think of a few examples.

You ask good questions but you have yet to answer my one and only question - why would McKenzie lie about his discussion with the said Canucks senior management staff?

I think it is fair to debate whether or not he is speculating on this issue, but the fact remains that someone from the Canucks, according to McKenzie, leaked out info which the Canucks have yet to deny (so far).

I agree WHL Rocks... it is one thing to make a mistake (we all do)... but to start arguments without ever listening/looking at the OP while pretending to have done so just drives me nuts.

If a person wants to argue, and there is a ridiculously simple way to verify the facts... just take a second to do so instead of just making crap up.

Bull....

What do you expect these GM's to say, 'oh man I am SOOOOOO on the hotseat right now, please deal me that allstar goalie of yours locked into a longterm deal at a caphit lower then his market value dictates, i am so freaking desperate...'

Get real. Maybe 2 goalies out there, Bernier and Lindback, that would get more people kicking the tires but once they are gone Gillis's phone will be ringing.

Just a minor report out of Toronto today, Burke says he has "not had significant discussion regarding Luongo " That means there has been some discussion. If he had NO discussion he would say so, Burke chose the words no significant discussion. IMO it wouldn't get serious until after the playoffs and closer to the draft.

So if Burke has had some form of discussion others might have had some form of discussion with the Canucks re Luongo. It may not be significant but there is interest.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/28/burke-addresses-habs-compensation-and-luongo

Burke also addressed talk that the Leafs might be interested in trading for Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo, saying he wanted to calm the speculation.

"There has not been significant discussion (with the Canucks) about that player," Burke said.

Luongo, 33, has told the Canucks he would open to being traded.

Its obvious you have not heard Mackenzie's interview that OP attached to this thread nor have you read my replies to your earlier posts during our discussion . You just come on here quote someone and write a post without having knowledge on the subject or doing any reading or research on the topic. You've been engaged in discussions with ppl on here for quite some time but have not even taken the courtesy to listen to the attached interview, the substance of which you have been debating ppl.

I tried to have a discussion with you because you've been a member for a long time and you have almost 2 thousand posts. I couldn't figure out how it was possible you didn't know about all the discussion that's been going on CDC for the past month regarding Luongo's value and possible return for him in a trade. You may recall the "half of CDC" conversation you had with me.

Now I realise that its entirely possible you rarely read other people's posts and when you do, you just skim over them and don't retain much from the reading. So there is no way for you to be aware of what "half of CDC" has been saying and what Mackenzie actually said. You haven't read the posts just like you haven't listened to Mckenzie's interview.

What an incredible waist of my time. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I very much detest Toronto. But if Burke doesn't want to get fired, he has to make sure he makes the playoffs. The only way that's going to happen is if they have a sure-fire #1 starter. Luongo may just save his job. Otherwise, any other goalie he chooses is a huge gamble.

MacKenzie say that few team have interest in Lui.... Not 0 teams.

Toronto has interest, and they are like every team in looking to get him for as little as possible, and since they connot make a deal right now, there is no reason to look desperate. Hard negotiating wont begin untill a few other cards fall into place. If Vokoun bolts to Russia, thatll increase Luis value, as would Bernier getting traded... The shorter the list gets, the more other teams become desperate.

If I were Gillis, Id be happy to see what UFAs I could land before moving Luongo. No point in trading an asset to address a hole that you could possibly fill without giving up anything.

BUT IMO.... Itll be to Toronto.... for Franson, Colborne, 35th overall pick 2012

Archived