The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Regarding the Canucks

Gillis has hit two home runs in a week.

Schneider re-signed, snuffing offer sheets.

Garrison signed - top four very solid - top six very solid. Good depth.

Team needs limited to a potential top six upgrade - nothing urgent, but positioned capwise to make a bid for Doan.

Adequate players and depth in the system to bridge Kesler injury.

The combination of Brodeur's re-signing in NJ, and terms like the re-upping of Price at 6.5 put Luongo value in stronger perspective.

Gillis in an even firmer negotiating position. Tallon and Florida are much better poker players than Toronto. Tallon is relatively quiet, while owners ok a deal, and Jovo acknowledges the reality that Luongo is and will remain an elite goaltender - not creating deluded expectations in fanbase that Luongo can be acquired for a salary dump. Toronto on the other hand, very weak with their bluffing game, tipping their hand, contradictng themselves, posturing strength, and lacking chips.

Regarding the Canucks

Gillis has hit two home runs in a week.

Schneider re-signed, snuffing offer sheets.

Garrison signed - top four very solid - top six very solid. Good depth.

Team needs limited to a potential top six upgrade - nothing urgent, but positioned capwise to make a bid for Doan.

Adequate players and depth in the system to bridge Kesler injury.

The combination of Brodeur's re-signing in NJ, and terms like the re-upping of Price at 6.5 put Luongo value in stronger perspective.

Gillis in an even firmer negotiating position. Tallon and Florida are much better poker players than Toronto. Tallon is relatively quiet, while owners ok a deal, and Jovo acknowledges the reality that Luongo is and will remain an elite goaltender - not creating deluded expectations in fanbase that Luongo can be acquired for a salary dump. Toronto on the other hand, very weak with their bluffing game, tipping their hand, contradictng themselves, posturing strength, and lacking chips.

I would crap in my slacks if we got Doan.

If the yotes play in phx then Doan stays.

If they do move and he does decide to go elsewhere there will be an epic bidding war with about every Stanley Cup contender.

I would say its a longshot.

Now back to

Luongo

to San Jose

Luongo

Booth

To Van

Clowe

Murray

Griess

I honestly think there is a wildcard team talking to Gillis.

San Jose needs to make a splash if they don't land Nash.

I have been surprised at Burke and Tallon's unwillingness to make a reasonable offer . We all know Lui is an all star goalie and his cap hit is more than reasonable for what he brings.

Perhaps the Leafs had some cap issues but with the cap going up I think they can make a deal . The Panthers may have Theodore but in my opinion he is a full rung below Luongo in talent and durability.

So it comes down to the term. I know the term is bad but many us figured out that after the 6 main years Lui's salary starts to tank and he will have little incentive to stick around. Even if he wanted to the team can stick him on waivers to get rid of him and the cap hit.

I guess they are waiting to see what the new NBA looks like in terms of waivers and cap hits. I still believe Luongo's contract will have to be grandfathered. Watching all these 13 year deals happening right now makes me think the new CBA will have a cap on length of contract so they are getting them all under the wire before its illegal.

Once that hurdle is cleared, I guess its about asking price. I would like to know more about what Gillis' bottom line is because it doesn't seem to be anywhere near Burke's -and he desperately needs a goalie.

I would crap in my slacks if we got Doan.

If the yotes play in phx then Doan stays.

If they do move and he does decide to go elsewhere there will be an epic bidding war with about every Stanley Cup contender.

I would say its a longshot.

Now back to

Luongo

to San Jose

Luongo

Booth

To Van

Clowe

Murray

Griess

I honestly think there is a wildcard team talking to Gillis.

San Jose needs to make a splash if they don't land Nash.

Yeah, if Doan signs here, you won't be the only one crapping in your slacks. That'll be happening straight across the NHL.

San Jose is a tough buy - the best options have some avoidable cap hits or expiring contracts. Their prospects, meh.

Only two options I'd do

Luongo for Couture straight up

Luongo, Booth for Clowe, Couture.

If no Nash, then no Couture, no splash.

I wonder if the signings in Minny will have a ripple effect on the Luongo deal...........the Wild are right up against the Cap and I wouldn't be surprised to see backstrom on the market this summer.

I wonder if the signings in Minny will have a ripple effect on the Luongo deal...........the Wild are right up against the Cap and I wouldn't be surprised to see backstrom on the market this summer.

Archived