Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Respect for Pat Quinn

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

I became a Canucks fan in the Pat Quinn era. He did such an incredible job assembling the Canucks of the early 90s - a team that was not only skilled, but filled to the brim with character and heart.
He was GM, Coach, and always worth a soundbyte with his straight-shooting Irish jabber.

I remember, watching in the heart-broken moments that followed the Rangers Cup victory in 1994, Pat Quinn looked so devasted, but willingly spoke to CBC, and talked about how proud he was of his team, and towards the end of the segment, said, "I guess there will be another time."

Fast-forward to last year's Cup final, Pat Quinn was back on CBC, plugging those Canucks, talking about how a cup would bring legitimacy to this franchise. He had made Vancouver his home, and this former coach, GM, and player of the Canucks continues to be such a strong Canucks fan.

Now, as co-chair of the Hall of Fame selection committee, Pat Quinn was likely instrumental in placing Bure into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

IF the Canucks falter early in the 2012/13 season, and IF AV gets hung out to dry, I would love to see Pat Quinn get one more kick at the can. There's no doubt Trevor Linden would make himself available more to the organization in some sort of capacity, and a player like Bure would more likely make ammends with the franchise. It would be a healthy move for the Canucks, connecting its present with its past, and creating a championship future.

Edited by Slegr, 26 June 2012 - 09:49 PM.

"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#2 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

I wouldn't mind him to be a part of the organization in some capacity, but not as a coach if that's what you're suggesting...and I always wonder about why Linden is not around the franchise as much...I'd also love to see him be a part of the organization again, perhaps go through an apprenticeship like Yzerman did in Detroit

#3 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Id like P.Quinn to come back as a pro scout. He was great at identifying pro-level talent and making moves to acquire them. Kirk McLean anyone? But he also ha a few dud trades. But anyways, him in head office, do it.

#4 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Before AV's contract extension, I was preaching for him to get the job.
Pat Quinn and Mike Gillis could be like the guys in Moneyball, hopefully with a better outcome, but ya know winning 20 straight games would be pretty cool too.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#5 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

He turned this franchise around from loser to winner.

Without Pat Quinn we may have gone the way of the Jets and Nordiques.(south)

#6 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

It would be a healthy move, after an unhealthy start to a season.

Pretty big IF. Though I wouldn't be against it.

Pineapple_jumps.gif9rpqmc.jpgPineapple_jumps.gif

Thanks to Blueberries for the awesome sig!

#7 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

yay

#8 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

Before AV's contract extension, I was preaching for him to get the job.
Pat Quinn and Mike Gillis could be like the guys in Moneyball, hopefully with a better outcome, but ya know winning 20 straight games would be pretty cool too.

Imagine if they were 20 straight playoff games :bigblush:

#9 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

I have many fond memories of the Pat Quinn era in Vancouver, he did alot of great things for this club. I also think he got the proverbial shaft with his recent stint with the Oilers franchise...hard to believe they went with Renney over Quinn for the last two seasons (unless of course the goal actually was to finish at the bottom).

Anyways yes, I would like to see Pat involved in the Canucks organization in some way or other.

#10 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

I have many fond memories of the Pat Quinn era in Vancouver, he did alot of great things for this club.  I also think he got the proverbial shaft with his recent stint with the Oilers franchise...hard to believe they went with Renney over Quinn for the last two seasons (unless of course the goal actually was to finish at the bottom).

Anyways yes, I would like to see Pat involved in the Canucks organization in some way or other.

He didnt look right behind the bench of the coil. He should be a part of the Canucks in some capacity.

#11 Canuckaidian

Canuckaidian

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

I wouldn't mind him to be a part of the organization in some capacity, but not as a coach if that's what you're suggesting...and I always wonder about why Linden is not around the franchise as much...I'd also love to see him be a part of the organization again, perhaps go through an apprenticeship like Yzerman did in Detroit

Linden has said he doesn't want to be in the guys way it's their time in the spotlight not his.

#12 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,010 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

I remember the Quinn era fondly as well, however, I still have a hard time getting past his complete failure in contract negotiations with Wayne Gretzky.

Also to the OP: How would the return of Quinn "no doubt" mean that Trevor Linden would make himself more available to the Canucks?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#13 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,524 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

I think Bure's grateful acknowledgement of Pat Quinn during the HHOF phone call puts to rest all Wetcoaster/Tony Gallagher rumours about him.

#14 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Would have nothing against him being a part of our organization.
He did a lot for the team, and has a lot of hockey knowledge. It would very likely be beneficial to the team.
Posted Image

#15 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I would love to have had him come in and coach this team. Give Quinn a team with 1 or 2 world class goalies, a pair of Art Ross winners, a Selke winner, plenty of decent forwards, and a deep D core and amazing things could happen...

#16 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

I could see him coach here as well. If AV does not work out then he would be my second choice.
Posted Image

#17 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

As a fan of the Canucks since the late 70s, I can honestly say that PQ was the GM that started Vancouver's success. He was instrumental in finally bringing in talent that made the rest of the league take notice and raised the bar for subsequent GMs. I also feel he was great at getting the most out of his players. Unfortunately, in the end, I think his decision to take on both GM and Head coaching duties was more than he could handle and really took it's toll from a team stand point. I would have to think that MG would be hesitant on a move like that (if it became necessary) due to PQs potential desire to have more to do with higher levels of management with the team (it was his duty at one time). I could see clashes between them.

I do think, however, there are many similarities between this team and the teams of the 90s. I think he would do a fine job as the coach.

#18 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,869 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

I don't think he's interested. Between his property development business and his fitness centers keeping him busy why would he want to be traveling half the year? He's still very involved with charities as well. Just because you want him to be involved with the Canucks full time doesn't mean he wants to. When I talked to him last year he said although he misses the team it's great to be able to do what he wants when he wants for the first time in his life. He also said he didn't miss the travel at all. So I wouldn't hold my breath on him returning to the NHL anytime soon.
Posted Image

#19 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have many fond memories of the Pat Quinn era in Vancouver, he did alot of great things for this club. I also think he got the proverbial shaft with his recent stint with the Oilers franchise...hard to believe they went with Renney over Quinn for the last two seasons (unless of course the goal actually was to finish at the bottom).

Renney is a much better teacher than Quinn.

You all may love Quinn here but the reality is that he sometimes couldn't even remember his players names. He also threw them under the bus after almost every single game(good every once in a while but it gets old). He was not fit to coach in the NHL anymore and wasn't right for a young team. The agreement all along was that Renney would take over after two season...but with Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi coming in, it didn't make a lot of sense to make a planned coaching change heading into their second seasons. Especially when you consider that Quinn had lost the room.

#20 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Pat Quinn is a big fan of both Bure and Hodgson. How did we let them get away..

Edited by BurnabyJoe, 27 June 2012 - 09:13 PM.

http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#21 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

Pat Quinn is a big fan of both Bure and Hodgson. How did we let them get away..

Yes, but is he a big fan of Cody Hodgson's dad?

SYvE9NH.gif

#22 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

Yes, but is he a big fan of Cody Hodgson's dad?

Who gives a crap about his dad. Just let Hodgson play hockey.
Posted Image

#23 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Tell his dad that.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#24 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,524 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

Are we talking about another Carl and Bonnie Lindros?

#25 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

pat quinn: after 94 he went for it, bringing in mogilny and messier. could and should have worked... negatives? really hard to say cause back then free agency was a joke, and you got whatever player you could and counted yourself lucky. if quinn had gotten an yzerman-like player instead of messier (say same age) what a difference it would have made. and a brett hull-like winger instead of mogilny? amazing how much personality and character come into play.

but no to him getting a chance again. his to time wasn't the best, didn't leave the organization in very good shape...

Edited by canucksnihilist, 28 June 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#26 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,524 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

pat quinn: after 94 he went for it, bringing in mogilny and messier.

Messier was McCaw's own doing. I believe it was shortly after Quinn was fired.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.