The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

We're going to like the fact that Garrison can rub guys out, he can play either side, and that he has a booming shot. We're also going to like that he won't go down to injury at any second like Salo. That incident vs. Marchand is NOT happening with Garrison.

We're not going to like that he isn't as fast as Ehrhoff. He's not as much of an offensive force as he is a shutdown force. However, he did appear on Florida's power play because of that shot of his. (Taken off later as Samuelsson was put on the top unit.)

It's awesome that we have another youngish, shutdown-capable defenseman that can handle tough minutes. And that he didn't cost a team-crippling amount to get.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Hamhuis-Garrison

Garrison-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Garrison being able to play either side presents AV with a ton of options.

TOML

"Garrison’s strengths are his exceptional skating ability and passing touch.He has good on-ice awareness and transitional capability. Garrison is adept at contributing to offensive without sacrificing defensive responsibility. Lacks an element of consistent physical play but it’s an area he’s working to improve. Garrison appears very comfortable on the ice and is a free-wheeling defender whose strength is generating scoring chances. He has terrific hockey sense and is an ideal power-play quarterback." HF

I think he's more rounded of a player than you are suggesting - there is more there than being solid defensively and having a big shot.

"Garrison’s strengths are his exceptional skating ability and passing touch.He has good on-ice awareness and transitional capability. Garrison is adept at contributing to offensive without sacrificing defensive responsibility. Lacks an element of consistent physical play but it’s an area he’s working to improve. Garrison appears very comfortable on the ice and is a free-wheeling defender whose strength is generating scoring chances. He has terrific hockey sense and is an ideal power-play quarterback." HF

Kind of skeptical about this. He had one good season last year, and has really only played two full NHL seasons. It's a big and expensive gamble at 4.6 mil but I really hope Garrison can play well and live up to his contract. Right now it looks like our defense has a lot of "ifs" on it, and that scares me.

hey folks

The over 35 guys on the market signed for 4 million (Kuba), 3.75 (Sami tha man), 3.66 (Souray) - and those were all multi-year deals that get no cap relief even if the player isn't on the roster.

The average NHL player is now a 3 million dollar cap hit.

The going rate for a top four guy is a lot higher, and only going to increase.

You have to take a risk if you want a reward.

Garrison was imo the best value/risk on the UFA market.

We're going to have to live with it, and I personally am entirely pleased with that.

The time to take your position is now - the 20/20ing in the future is b.s.

You misunderstood. Garrison isn't slow. He's just not as fast as the Hoff.

People truly underrate just how fast the Hoff was. He could skate all the way down to the opposing crease and catch up with the play coming back fairly easily. That extra offensive element transformed the Sedins from 80pt players to 100pt players.

The biggest benefit i see with having Garrison is that it adds another top-4 guy who can put opposing forwards on theirasses. We have one of the toughest top-4's in the NHL. Not the fastest or most offensively dynamic, but it's fairly sturdy.

I'm hoping that Edler is able to reach the Norris potential Gillis says he has. Garrison will probably help in that regard more than Salo while not being such a money pig like the Hoff.

TOML

You misunderstood. Garrison isn't slow. He's just not as fast as the Hoff.

People truly underrate just how fast the Hoff was. He could skate all the way down to the opposing crease and catch up with the play coming back fairly easily. That extra offensive element transformed the Sedins from 80pt players to 100pt players.

The biggest benefit i see with having Garrison is that it adds another top-4 guy who can put opposing forwards on theirasses. We have one of the toughest top-4's in the NHL. Not the fastest or most offensively dynamic, but it's fairly sturdy.

I'm hoping that Edler is able to reach the Norris potential Gillis says he has. Garrison will probably help in that regard more than Salo while not being such a money pig like the Hoff.

TOML

Another thing to consider, Garrison's $4.6m cap hit is 6.55% of the cap which means he basically signed at a $4.21m cap hit under last year's $64.3m cap (when Bieksa signed for $4.6m) and a $3.89m cap hit under the $59.4m cap of 2010-2011 (when Hamhuis signed for $4.5m). Both those guys were more proven players but it's nice to see Garrison signed below those players by about 10% when you take into account the inflation factor.

Another thing to consider, Garrison's $4.6m cap hit is 6.55% of the cap which means he basically signed at a $4.21m cap hit under last year's $64.3m cap (when Bieksa signed for $4.6m) and a $3.89m cap hit under the $59.4m cap of 2010-2011 (when Hamhuis signed for $4.5m). Both those guys were more proven players but it's nice to see Garrison signed below those players by about 10% when you take into account the inflation factor.

I have no idea what to think of this since I've honestly rarely seen him play. Going purely by the stats it looks like he came into his own, but that is still a sizable contract for someone with which there are still questions as to his true talent level. If he continues to develop at this pace then I think it is an excellent signing. I'm just afraid of the possibility that we are left with another Ballard-style situation... a player who is overpaid on a long-ish contract, rarely used, and has little trade value.

Given the money that was handed out to Wideman and what will be given to Suter and Carle I like the Garrison signing more and more. I know a lot of people see a lot of questions with Garrison, and while he may be a late bloomer he's always had success when he's arrived at a certain level. While the Canucks may not have a true #1 defenseman (ie Weber or Doughty) they do have a lot of quality and depth. Not that the Canucks had issues with the PP but Garrison and he shot will bring a new dimension to the power play and make it even more effective. Garrison may not be overly physical, but that's why you have Hamhuis and Bieksa. Garrison is no slouch defensively either, he always had to be aware when he was partnered with Campbell in Florida.

I like the idea that he can play both sides because of injurys that will probably happen in season. Good to have a versatile dman with size. Just wait until the twins find him in open ice on the pp it will be a thing of beauty with that friggin cannon of a shot. Dude took a haircut to play in his hometown on a cup contending team.

I have no idea what to think of this since I've honestly rarely seen him play. Going purely by the stats it looks like he came into his own, but that is still a sizable contract for someone with which there are still questions as to his true talent level. If he continues to develop at this pace then I think it is an excellent signing. I'm just afraid of the possibility that we are left with another Ballard-style situation... a player who is overpaid on a long-ish contract, rarely used, and has little trade value.

Archived