The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Doan Gets Contract Offers From 3 Teams, Canucks Offer

The Canucks have just under 3 million in two-way contracts in addition to over 3 million in cap space - Tanev sticks with the Canucks, but there is still 2 million worth that can be sent to the Wolves.

Signing Doan may slightly alter their negotiating strength where Luongo is concerned - but that would not be as significant a difference as Shane Doan. Signing Garrison and than Doan = massive. A slightly reduced return for Luongo (if at all) - not as significant. There is also the possibility that another forward is traded if Doan is signed...

The Canucks have lots of options and nothing standing in the way of making a serious bid for Doan.

yes we have 3 mill under the cap,plus the 10% and kesler on injury relief.Thats ten plus mill a season,meaning whatever we do with Luo if we get more room we will be easily under siging Doan.Doan if not going back with the coyoties might want to stay close, but it does make more sence to play at home before retirment.He is a Linden type player,only other team I can see him going to would be the JETS if they made there team better fast this year or next.I like other am not getting my hopes up,but I think theres a good chance we will see him here this year.

Canucks need to play the Doan negotiation slowly. Obvioulsy Doan would like to see what Phoenix can do first. No sense in trying to put pressure on Doan by making him an offer at this point. Just let him know we are interested (which has already been done) and that's it. Once he is ready to start entertaining offers, then make your pitch. Anything offers before that will simply annoy him as he has been pretty clear that he wants to give Phoenix a chance first.

The Canucks have just under 3 million in two-way contracts in addition to over 3 million in cap space - Tanev sticks with the Canucks, but there is still 2 million worth that can be sent to the Wolves.

Signing Doan may slightly alter their negotiating strength where Luongo is concerned - but that would not be as significant a difference as Shane Doan. Signing Garrison and than Doan = massive. A slightly reduced return for Luongo (if at all) - not as significant. There is also the possibility that another forward is traded if Doan is signed...

The Canucks have lots of options and nothing standing in the way of making a serious bid for Doan.

Vans being patient. Once Doan is ready they will talk to there agent find out what the other offers are and give him the best offer we can. I say 5.5 mil x 2 years. This is with out any trades. Over 3mil in cap space, 2 mil in cap relief on Keslers deal and yet to get to 23 players there will be at least 2 mil being sent to the wolves. So not rush to trade anyone as long as we do not go over 7mil. Luongo trade will give us cap space for the trade dead line. And not strap us to tightly so we can add Weber next year for 7.5 mil. Malholtra will not be back, so his money goes to Burrows, and either Edel or Ballard would have to go. Sice Edler will want a huge raise, since that may affect us getting Weber so keep Ballard, Or just get rid of both if we get Weber. Yet Edler decision will have to be made before July 1.

Archived