Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#421 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Had the Canucks mustered a win in game 7 Lu likely could have received the conn smythe. As he won the cup, nobody remembers that Thomas got lit up badly vs the Bolts. The difference is his team was able to outscore their problems in that series.

Not a chance was Luongo even considered for the ConnSmyth.........they don't give that trophy to goalies who get shelled in 3 out fot eh 7 games............it was TT's regardess of who came out on top

#422 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Not a chance was Luongo even considered for the ConnSmyth.........they don't give that trophy to goalies who get shelled in 3 out fot eh 7 games............it was TT's regardess of who came out on top

It's my understanding that the entirety of the playoffs is considered, not just the finals.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#423 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,109 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Mobile
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#424 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,245 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

It's my understanding that the entirety of the playoffs is considered, not just the finals.

That is correct. However, Thomas stood on his head for the entire playoffs.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#425 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Um if we won game 7 and Luongo got another shutout he definitely would have been in the running for the Conn Smythe, that would have been 3 shutouts in the finals alone.

#426 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

@JasonGarrison52: Dano-mite is in Vancity! We need the missing piece.. @ScottieUpshall http://t.co/Fh2b5GDd

Do want

If Doan signs elsewhere, I like Upshall's game - he's never seemed to get any traction in the NHL, but could be quite a good risk if he ever manages to play a full season. I wouldn't mind taking a risk on him - he is a right wing, physical and skilled - and his cap hit of 3.5 million should make him a relative add in/ salary dump. I'd rather take him as a third piece in a deal than get Versteeg as the priniciple - something like Upshall, Matthias and Petrovic might make sense if Doan goes elsewhere.
I like the idea of Bjugstad, but I think his value is getting blown out of proportion - who knows, Gaunce could turn out to be the better player.

And Upshall almost put the Panthers into the 2nd round too.

It is interesting that Garrison is recruiting Upshall wile Doan is in town at the same time since Upshall happens to have a NTC/NMC and he'd have to waive the NTC portion to come here.

Well, if Upshall is the cap dump coming back this way (that contract is immovable w/ both a NTC & a NMC), then I'd expect Bjugstad to also be coming this way with Raymond going the other way (expiring contract not unlike Samuelsson/Sturm in the Booth deal) and I don't think it's Doan or Upshall. I think the likelihood of accepting Upshall's immovable $3.5m cap hit means Doan is in a Canuck uniform since the majority of Upshall's success came from playing on a line with Doan while in Phoenix.

However, there is this little issue to get over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPCbol-sisM

I suppose Kesler & Backes got over that incident enough to play well in a two week tournament, but can Upshall (a guy with a bad reputation himself) & Kesler co-exist for three years without that mutual hate creating a dressing room nightmare (especially since trading for Upshall would mean the end of Burrows' or Higgins' - or maybe even both - tenures in a Canuck uniform)?

I guess there's always the expected new 1-time amnesty clause in the next CBA...

Edit: Misunderstood the tweet. Corrected the thought process.

Edited by Millerdraft, 02 August 2012 - 01:26 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#427 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Really?
  • May 14: Tampa Bay 5 - Boston 2
  • May 17: Boston 6 - Tampa Bay 5
  • May 19: Boston 2 - Tampa Bay 0
  • May 21: Tampa Bay 5 - Boston 3
  • May 23: Boston 3 - Tampa Bay 1
  • May 25: Tampa Bay 5 - Boston 4
  • May 27: Boston 1 - Tampa Bay 0
  • As others have pointed out Thomas had a very average series against Tampa - up until the finals I would argue Luo was the better goalie.

Thanks to R.Luongo. for the amazing sig

#428 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Gah... No he didn't. This is exactly what I was saying earlier in the quote train. Timmy allowed 4 or more goals against in 4 of the games during the ECF. In that series he allowed only one fewer goals against than Lu did in the Boston series. The difference was that the leagues most potent offence couldn't bail out Lu the way the B's bailed out Timmy.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#429 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Really?

• May 14: Tampa Bay 5 - Boston 2
  • May 17: Boston 6 - Tampa Bay 5
  • May 19: Boston 2 - Tampa Bay 0
  • May 21: Tampa Bay 5 - Boston 3
  • May 23: Boston 3 - Tampa Bay 1
  • May 25: Tampa Bay 5 - Boston 4
  • May 27: Boston 1 - Tampa Bay 0
  • As others have pointed out Thomas had a very average series against Tampa - up until the finals I would argue Luo was the better goalie.

And this is why thge people who blame Lu for us losing are moronic. Boston scored 23 goals in 7 games against us, Tampa scored 21 against Boston which is not much better at all. Difference was Tim Thomas got some offensive support!

#430 y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

And this is why thge people who blame Lu for us losing are moronic. Boston scored 23 goals in 7 games against us, Tampa scored 21 against Boston which is not much better at all. Difference was Tim Thomas got some offensive support!

If the Bruins scored 8 goals in total in the Tampa Bay series, they do not win that series. If the Canucks score 21 goals in the SCF, there's a pretty good chance we win the Cup.

#431 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

I sure hope Luongo is gone before the season starts. Its not that he would not be very good insurance, but the distraction it would cause would not be good for the chemistry in the dressing room. I believe the team needs the opportunity to embrace schneider as the teams #1 and focus on the new team direction.

Schneider is Luongo's insurance. Not the other way around.

Posted Image

#432 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

It is interesting that Garrison is recruiting Upshall wile Doan is in town at the same time since Upshall happens to have a NTC/NMC and he'd have to waive the NTC portion to come here.

Well, if Upshall is the cap dump coming back this way (that contract is immovable w/ both a NTC & a NMC), then I'd expect Bjugstad to also be coming this way with Raymond going the other way (expiring contract not unlike Samuelsson/Sturm in the Booth deal) and I don't think it's Doan or Upshall. I think the likelihood of accepting Upshall's immovable $3.5m cap hit means Doan is in a Canuck uniform since the majority of Upshall's success came from playing on a line with Doan while in Phoenix.

However, there is this little issue to get over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPCbol-sisM

I suppose Kesler & Backes got over that incident enough to play well in a two week tournament, but can Upshall (a guy with a bad reputation himself) & Kesler co-exist for three years without that mutual hate creating a dressing room nightmare (especially since trading for Upshall would mean the end of Burrows' or Higgins' - or maybe even both - tenures in a Canuck uniform)?

I guess there's always the expected new 1-time amnesty clause in the next CBA...

Edit: Misunderstood the tweet. Corrected the thought process.

If Kesler has ANY problem with ANY of Gillis' moves which make the Canucks better, Kesler ought to shut up or get shipped out himself.

I've been thinking this guy has a really bad attitude. The list of people "he cannot stand" grows longer every year.

If Kesler is unhappy because some guys comes into the locker room, send him packing.

Diver.

Posted Image

#433 parhar87

parhar87

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

iPhone bump

#434 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

and thats why they are trading Lou...good point !!

#435 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Whats this I've been hearing about Gaunce being discussed as a part of the trade?

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#436 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

Whats this I've been hearing about Gaunce being discussed as a part of the trade?

Where'd you hear that

#437 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Where'd you hear that

Someone on HF was saying they heard that Gaunce was being discussed as being part of the Canucks package in a Bjugstad trade.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#438 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Someone on HF was saying they heard that Gaunce was being discussed as being part of the Canucks package in a Bjugstad trade.

Hmmm weird, I wonder if they want Schroeder + Gaunce or just replace Schroeder with Gaunce in the trade, either way, I wouldn't do that unless they're sending more than Bjugstad

#439 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

If this were a movie, we're in time lapse at about 30,000 FPS played at regular 29.97 FPS.

Scene 42, take 1: The Canucks are just about to get violently raped, losing their number one star goalie, their number one pick in 2012 and possibly more, for ONE nobody.

Edited by GHL, 02 August 2012 - 08:22 PM.

Posted Image

#440 CanucksCupHopes

CanucksCupHopes

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Lp

#441 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

If this were a movie, we're in time lapse at about 30,000 FPS played at regular 29.97 FPS.

Scene 42, take 1: The Canucks are just about to get violently raped, losing their number one star goalie, their number one pick in 2012 and possibly more, for ONE nobody.

Not happening. MG isn't known for making great trades but even he would know better than to do something so stupid.

#442 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Just shut up and leave.

you, and I, and everyone including gillis himself have no idea what its going to cost to get what in the trade with luongo until it is done. How can you openly criticize something that has not even happened yet? Do you have a ???? time machine?

Seriously.. Just leave..

Posted Image

#443 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Gillman on CKNW right now: says not going to be rushed on Luongo. It's still not September yet.

Cheers!

#444 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Theodore in 11/12: $1.5M. 53 GP. 2.46 GAA. .917 SV%
Luongo in 11/12: $5.33M. 55 GP. 2.41 GAA. .919 SV%.

I keep coming back to this. How does Gillis convince a budget-oriented team to spend way more on very comparable (current) goaltending stats, and expect to get anything valuable in return? For $1.5M, why wouldn't Tallon give Theodore 55-60 starts next year?

#445 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

I keep coming back to this. How does Gillis convince a budget-oriented team to spend way more on very comparable (current) goaltending stats, and expect to get anything valuable in return? For $1.5M, why wouldn't Tallon give Theodore 55-60 starts next year?

He doesn't have to convince him. Tallons at the table, looking at a $40+million contract, cause he's more than certain Luongo brings more value than his current players. That value might be in the form of stats or ticket sales, but more value overall. Tallons not running the Rangers. He's running a budget conscious smaller market business. He doesn't have the luxury of taking a risk here, and Gillis knows it - that's his leverage.

Edited by RunningWild, 02 August 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#446 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I keep coming back to this. How does Gillis convince a budget-oriented team to spend way more on very comparable (current) goaltending stats, and expect to get anything valuable in return? For $1.5M, why wouldn't Tallon give Theodore 55-60 starts next year ?

Lu in Florida is likely to be much better than he has been in Van for the most part because he will be with his family.

#447 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

I have said this over and over and over! This trade makes no sense at all!

Why make holes to fill holes you don't have! Hockey wise it's not wise at all!

I am thinking that GMDT is being forced by upper management and ownership. They may see Luongo as more of a ticket draw than a drastic improvement on the hockey clubs performance.

I just can't see how this will help the Panthers as a team full of youth bursting with potential.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#448 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

"@InsiderLegit: Tallon wants Luongo, Gaunce/Schroeder, Raymond/Hansen and possibly a pick for Matthias and Bjugstad."

"@InsiderLegit: I am hearing the Canucks are willing to offer Luongo,Raymond, Schroeder. Florida wants Hansen though.We will see and I will keep you updated"

This guy has been tweeting like he was one of Gillis' chins, hearing every detail in the negotiations

He is a poor mans hockeyy insiderr

so ya....

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#449 Biasbieksa

Biasbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Id give Luongo, Schroeder, Raymond, 2nd. for Bjugstad and Matthias

#450 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

Id give Luongo, Schroeder, Raymond, 2nd. for Bjugstad and Matthias

I'd give you and your mother for a shovel of tarnished sand.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.