The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

Not sure why everyone was getting all excited - I'd prefer to sign a FA when we will actually be playing hockey. IF we had signed Doan he would have likely gotten a signing bonus which would have paid him even if the season was cancelled (Which I think is assured now)

Also wait 2 years and when the Coyotes are moved to Quebec Doan will be begging for a change in scenery :P

I kinda figured he'd stay in Phoenix although I don't see the Coyotes being in Phoneix for the length of his contract

I feel bad for Doan. He so badly wants to play in Pheonix that he signed even though the sale isn't finished. It likely will never happen. As far I'm concerned, it will be a perpetual pending sale so long as Bettman needs that to stay on the owners' good side (until they get the new super lucrative CBA he promised them).

Doan won't play in Vancouver and he may never play in Pheonix again. He's likely to regret that call.

Meh...

In the long run its (the non-signing) a blessing in disguise.

Sure he'd have been fired up to start he season with the Canucks. But look at his numbers in the last few years. We would have been having arguments in here about how he is at least "great in the dressing room". Do we really need another Sundin or Messier? 3 years down the road when Gillis has to shell out 5 million off the cap - which will most likely be reduced after the new CBA - will be hard to swallow if Shane continues his decline in production. We'd end up paying that much for a third liner. And then there's the risk of injury for an older player like that.

Its a better strategy to have great scouting to target players that are either overlooked (Burrows, Tanev) or players that great scouting indicates all they need is a second (or third..) chance (Higgins, Lapierre) while continuing to keep the eyes open for those special opportunities to sign top notch players in their prime that have a desire to play here.

I gotta admit I am a little surprised. I thought his agent would steer him to Van. Maybe they wrote an 'out clause' into the deal in the event that the team moves.

Still respect the man. He stated all along that staying in PHX was his preference. He might have taken a gamble staying there but that is his right.

Archived