1062 replies to this topic

#91 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

I used all of my upvotes on this page. If you think you got an upvote because your post was special, Doan't.

Posted Image
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

#92 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Access to knowledge is greater now than ever before, being able to look up info and then rehashing it is a far cry from being intelligent IMO.
What is the measure of "smartness" ?
IQ test certainly are directed and constructed to current standards, today few would do well in a mock-up of a 1st century test I'd assume. IQ test are very deceiving indeed and certainly skewed toward western standards.
Folks do not need to know about many mundane daily feats of survival and depending on whatever scale you want to employ one could argue ancient civilizations were vastly superior to today’s society in certain regards and vice versa.
The human brain hasn't changed that much, the capacity to learn is most likely the same as it was eons ago; it's the collective human experience that has moved the starting point further along.
And comparing generational "smartness" is absurd and I can only imagine such thought spewing out of young brash minds; I certainly remember the days when I thought the older generation just doesn't have a clue. I truly was the ignorant one.
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#93 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Anyone care to explain how this thread when from bad doan jokes to measuring e-ntelligence? Man this summer can't be over fast enough.

Edited by Special Ed, 18 August 2012 - 07:39 AM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#94 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

"durrr my generation is smarter,durr yourre a dumb"..
winey baby meta thread?

Posted Image

#95 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Phone bump

#96 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Watch the movie Idiocracy. Unfortunately that's where I see mankind in 500 years

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#97 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

I am guessing but with a looming lockout maybe the likely owner who had trouble coming up with the money to buy the team in the 1st place does not want to shell out a possible good chunk of cash as a signing bonus.
Doan would be well aware of the stickyness of the negotiations and may think that this could be a 1 or 2 year lockout and with him being 36 in a couple months he would want a rather big signing bonus because this is it for him and if there is a lockout for a lengthy period of time his value will be way down.
The looming lockout is the only reason why we have a shot at him, but if there is a year lockout or more, would he have much left in the tank when they resume playing. Taking a year or 2 off at that age would be tough.

#98 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

what was wrong with the existing thread again? we can start a new thread anytime by putting "meta" in the title?

#99 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

oppa gangnam style?
Chicago Blackhawks NHL 14 OCDC League 2013/2014

J. Schultz(81)-Toews(92)-Pacioretty(88)....Keith(90)-Phaneuf(87)................Crawford(86)
Burns(87)-Kadri(85)-Yakupov(83)..............Hjalmarson(85)-N. Schultz(84)....Khabby(76)
Clarkson(83)-Zibanejad(80)-Ennis(82).......Koska(78)-Murray(83)
Kobasew(78)-Hanszus(79)-Morin(76)

#100 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

what was wrong with the existing thread again? we can start a new thread anytime by putting "meta" in the title?

the mod posted in the old one that the OP had abandoned it to a ? - and when the thread gets too long/too many pages, it takes too long to load and slows up the site.

#101 chompers14

chompers14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

Justin Catt@JCATT9
@NHLSourcesSay:#Canucks are frontrunners for Doan, #Coyotes but talks not going well, family wants Doan to sign in VAN” rt make it happen!

Retweeted by CanucksCentral
Maybe we ain't out of the Doan sweeps...

#102 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yay. Real news kinda.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#103 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Justin Catt@JCATT9
@NHLSourcesSay:#Canucks are frontrunners for Doan, #Coyotes but talks not going well, family wants Doan to sign in VAN” rt make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen...
the meta threads first semi-legit post
Posted Image

#104 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Ladies and gentlemen...
the meta threads first semi-legit post

Plan the parade?

Posted Image

#105 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

the mod posted in the old one that the OP had abandoned it to a ? - and when the thread gets too long/too many pages, it takes too long to load and slows up the site.

Bs

Only the page u are looking at is loaded, unless the programmers are morons working 10 years behind the times ;). Unlikely!!!! And the page count is cached, guaranteed

Doan - no news is good news?

Edited by canucksnihilist, 18 August 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#106 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Bs

Only the page u are looking at is loaded, unless the programmers are morons working 10 years behind the times ;). Unlikely!!!! And the page count is cached, guaranteed

You obviously have no idea how dynamically generated and database driven websites work. Before you even load this page, there are several dozen requests made to and from the forum database, once you load the page there are even more requests. This is for one user. Multiply by the number of average unique hits to the domain in total.

I'm almost certain that the forum database resides on the same server that the website database does, and the server is likely a pool of shared hardware resources seeing as all of the league websites are managed by a single all encompassing umbrella.

So it's not just our fans accessing our page in this scenario, the hardware is also serving out pages to other teams fans. The larger the database, the longer it takes for the hardware to get priority to quickly load everything to your screen so you can whine and complain with impunity.

#107 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,353 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Bs

Let me fix that for you .. No Doan is good news .. B)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#108 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

I hope this is over soon.

Posted Image

#109 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

I hope this is over soon.

Doan't we all ::D

Edited by tocnhockey, 19 August 2012 - 07:34 AM.

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#110 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Whats the difference if its over or not if there isn't going to be a season. I hope there is, but at least we have something elese to talk about, or look forward to instead of looking at the proposal section every day.

#111 Tyler83

Tyler83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Justin Catt@JCATT9

How legit it that source?

#112 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

Too legit
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#113 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Too legit

To quit?
Posted Image

#114 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

I used all of my upvotes on this page. If you think you got an upvote because your post was special, Doan't.

U used them all just to make a post to insult people and rehash another tired Doan pun?

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#115 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Doan't Care anymore I just want him to sign Somewhere.
Doan't argue with me LOL

Thx
Pcuzz B)
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#116 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image

I don't take the credit, I found it on Reddit. I do take credit for that rhyme however.

Posted Image

#117 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Who knows but Least it's hockey related.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#118 Tyler83

Tyler83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

NHLexpertpicks.com@NHLexpertpicks
Canucks Gilman on Doan: 'We have tendered an offer. At this point Shane is looking at his alternatives and were waiting for him to decide'.

#119 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

You obviously have no idea how dynamically generated and database driven websites work. Before you even load this page, there are several dozen requests made to and from the forum database, once you load the page there are even more requests. This is for one user. Multiply by the number of average unique hits to the domain in total.

I'm almost certain that the forum database resides on the same server that the website database does, and the server is likely a pool of shared hardware resources seeing as all of the league websites are managed by a single all encompassing umbrella.

So it's not just our fans accessing our page in this scenario, the hardware is also serving out pages to other teams fans. The larger the database, the longer it takes for the hardware to get priority to quickly load everything to your screen so you can whine and complain with impunity.

If a forum can't take a 60 page thread, something is wrong.

I do understand the tech actually, and you are wrong about the programming. it would be foolish to query everything you see on the screen every time you go to it, summing up all the post counts, and the lastest users, etc etc. What is happening is that after each child update, a set of statistics (aka the cache) is updated and that is what is served. And that is probably cached in memory on the database server if it is done right (which it probably is) - that is out of the box ms sql server, no tweaking required (frequent requests are cached and re-indexed all the time). To suggest that each user view generates all that info each time is crazy! Surely you don't mean that.... Now the user may be a tiny bit out of date (seconds!), but who cares?

Anyways, the web page can easily take it, so why the extra post? But who really cares? It just makes all that info that was discussed out of sight out of mind. and it's august, so chill.. You are right about the possibility of having huge overhead if the site was made by an idiot though.... ;) lol!

#120 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

The previous thread was abandoned by its OP and subsequently locked by a moderator.

If you have a problem with this thread, PM the moderator (Templeton Peck) to lodge a complaint, or at least direct your whining his way, sparing the rest of the members who are participating in this thread from having to be subjected to it.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.