The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Saw this article on TSN...

Roger Goodell doesn't want to stand pat with the PAT. He's suggesting potential changes in the extra point that, well, might have some legs.

The NFL commissioner says the extra point kick after touchdowns, which had a success rate of nearly 100 per cent, is too automatic. Sure is.

And with few teams attempting 2-point conversion plays until desperation hits late in games, the old 1-pointer from 20 yards is the way coaches go. All that does is draw yawns.

So Goodell wonders if the league can add excitement by making some major adjustments to the extra point, suggesting perhaps making a touchdown worth seven points instead of six, with teams having the option to run a play for another point.

But failing on that play would cost them a point.

Gimmicky, for sure. But if Goodell likes the idea ...

If they want to make the extra point less automatic, why not take a page out of rugby's book? Now, I'm not a rugby aficionado so if I have this wrong, my apologies.

After a try, don't they kick it from a point even with where the ball was touched down in the end zone? Rather than just kicking the extra point from the middle of the field, they could kick it from different angles based on where it broke the plane.

Goodell's idea doesn't sound like much of a change, other than taking out the actual kicking. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Saw this article on TSN...

If they want to make the extra point less automatic, why not take a page out of rugby's book? Now, I'm not a rugby aficionado so if I have this wrong, my apologies.

After a try, don't they kick it from a point even with where the ball was touched down in the end zone? Rather than just kicking the extra point from the middle of the field, they could kick it from different angles based on where it broke the plane.

Goodell's idea doesn't sound like much of a change, other than taking out the actual kicking. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Nah your're reading correctly, and got the rugby rule correct as well. Americans just don't like kickers apparently. There is always speaking against removing it from the game. I think Goodells idea is kind of dumb, I know extra points were almost guaranteed thing(I think 6 or 8 were missed all year) but sometimes games can be decided on that, and if it did effect atleast 1 game this year in a significant way(which I think it did, can't recall which game) then to me thats enough reason to keep kicking them.

Nah your're reading correctly, and got the rugby rule correct as well. Americans just don't like kickers apparently. There is always speaking against removing it from the game. I think Goodells idea is kind of dumb, I know extra points were almost guaranteed thing(I think 6 or 8 were missed all year) but sometimes games can be decided on that, and if it did effect atleast 1 game this year in a significant way(which I think it did, can't recall which game) then to me thats enough reason to keep kicking them.

The game you're probably thinking of was the Saints vs the Jacksonville Jaguars. The play has been dubbed "The River City Relay".

New Orleans was down 7 points with 7 seconds to play. They threw the ball downfield and then proceeded to the Jags' end zone after several laterals (the last being to Canadian Jerome Pathon who scored the TD)

The Saints mircale comeback was unfortunately incomplete, as kicker John Carney somehow pushed the PAT wide right.

Edit: I missed the part where you said "this year". Anyway, the play by the Saints shows that it does occasionally make a difference

Edited by RUPERTKBD

The game you're probably thinking of was the Saints vs the Jacksonville Jaguars. The play has been dubbed "The River City Relay".

New Orleans was down 7 points with 7 seconds to play. They threw the ball downfield and then proceeded to the Jags' end zone after several laterals (the last being to Canadian Jerome Pathon who scored the TD)

The Saints mircale comeback was unfortunately incomplete, as kicker John Carney somehow pushed the PAT wide right.

Edit: I missed the part where you said "this year". Anyway, the play by the Saints shows that it does occasionally make a difference

Yes thats a prime example imo why the extra point should stay. I swear it happened this year too, where one team would've had a 1 point lead but missed. I forget how it ended or which teams played but remember seeing it and thinking wow sure will change that teams stradegy for the final few minutes. Anyways thats why I'm in favor of keeping the game how it is, if they really its too easy why not just make them kick from the 45 instead.

Yes thats a prime example imo why the extra point should stay. I swear it happened this year too, where one team would've had a 1 point lead but missed. I forget how it ended or which teams played but remember seeing it and thinking wow sure will change that teams stradegy for the final few minutes. Anyways thats why I'm in favor of keeping the game how it is, if they really its too easy why not just make them kick from the 45 instead.

Lions-Eagles. The snow was so bad for the most part both teams were trying for 2 after almost every TD.

Sucks for Seahawks or Broncos fans, depending on which team wins, that the Olympics start 6 days after the Super Bowl. Will take all of the focus off of who just won the big game. Great for the rest of us that won't want to hear about it anyways, but still a crappy situation to be in for the fans of those teams.

Are you trying to say that the Winter Olympics will be a bigger event in the US than the Super Bowl? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Are you trying to say that the Winter Olympics will be a bigger event in the US than the Super Bowl? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Um, no, seeing as how the Super Bowl will be played one week before the Olympics even start...

My point was the media coverage will shift entirely to the Olympics following the Super Bowl, whereas typically the media continues with Super Bowl headlines for a few weeks afterwards

Um, no, seeing as how the Super Bowl will be played one week before the Olympics even start...

My point was the media coverage will shift entirely to the Olympics following the Super Bowl, whereas typically the media continues with Super Bowl headlines for a few weeks afterwards

Meh I don't feel bad for Seahawks or broncos fans at all. I think they will Be okay with a bit less media coverage if there team wins.

Anyone have any issues with nfl shop? I ordered a jersey last week and it seems to have gone missing. It started with landmark global in Michigan and once it got over the border into Canada it went with UPS. Called UPS and they said it should have been delivered yesterday...and to call the shipper. Landmark global only has an email so I'm waiting for a response from them. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems and any advice?

Anyone have any issues with nfl shop? I ordered a jersey last week and it seems to have gone missing. It started with landmark global in Michigan and once it got over the border into Canada it went with UPS. Called UPS and they said it should have been delivered yesterday...and to call the shipper. Landmark global only has an email so I'm waiting for a response from them. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems and any advice?

Ask the original shipper for the tracking number. You should be able to enter the number on the UPS website and see the last place that it was scanned.

Ask the original shipper for the tracking number. You should be able to enter the number on the UPS website and see the last place that it was scanned.

Yah I have the UPS tracking number but the info is pretty limited. It just says that a case has been opened, it's a 1 pound box and that it's going to Nanaimo. I don't think its been scanned at all with UPS yet she told me it was supposed to be delivered yesterday. :(

Yah I have the UPS tracking number but the info is pretty limited. It just says that a case has been opened, it's a 1 pound box and that it's going to Nanaimo. I don't think its been scanned at all with UPS yet she told me it was supposed to be delivered yesterday. :(

You'd think NFL Shop would have proper couriers.

Why wouldn't Erick Decker re-sign though if not for cap reasons? I don't get the talk. He is surrounded by talent.

I doubt he does as well on another team without play makers around him.

Interesting to note Knowhson Moreno is also a free agent and probably won't be back next year as Denver will probably hand over the reigns to Ball.

Who has showed a better burst. What a way to go out though if Denver wins for Moreno to get a chance to play in the Super Bowl in his hometown.

...with FA coming up shortly, hope Pats can sign a WR who can be a regular for Brady to throw too. Not a huge time receiver but someone who can just get the job done and is reliable.

My wishlist in order:

Hakeem Nicks - Giants look lik they won't sign him and this guy would be the perfect fit. Coming off a bad year supposedly even though it was still pretty fair besides him not getting TD's. 26, heading into prime, known for deep threat and can give Brady that solidified player to go to up top.

Riley Cooper - asides from his rep thing, he is a very dependable #2 receiver and has all the tools to make him a threat. 6'3", big frame, not a deep threat type but an all around receiver who can give Brady another option. He's also young at 26 and can give max production heading into his prime and again, underrated for the altercation he had with his rep.

Emmanuel Sanders - same reason Pats wanted him this offseason. Small guy but can run like the wind and let Brady throw it up long and bring that arm to use.

Darrius Heyward-Bay - basically a Hakeem Nicks clone but less proven. Same age, basically same frame and deep threat, but just not as good. Has all the tools but needs to bring it all together and can be a low risk high reward signing if anything with a guy like Brady.