The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Keenan wants to return to the NHL

he wasnt all bad i mean

Keenan's resignation came shortly after he dealt Florida Panthers' franchise goaltender Roberto Luongo along with defenceman Lukas Krajicek and Florida's 2006 sixth-round draft pick (Sergei Shirokov) to the Vancouver Canucks for struggling forward Todd Bertuzzi, goaltender Alex Auld, and defenceman Bryan Allen.

My Dad's got a conspiracy theory that the NHL sent Keenan in to destroy our team because it was too good and the market wasn't big enough so they wanted other teams to be on top. While I take it with a grain of salt, Keenan really did dismantle the team, trading Linden, breaking up Bure and Odjick, etc.

He should have never been given a shot. He was instrumental in ruining the Flames. 2 years of zero defense, no focus on special teams, overplaying Phaneuf and reinforcing all of his bad habits, feuding with Kiprusoff, and completely mismanaging players like Tanguay and Huselius.

I hope no team in the league has to suffer with Keenan. The guy is off his rocker as far as I'm concerned and he will run any team into the ground with his complete lack of detail-oriented coaching.

He should have never been given a shot. He was instrumental in ruining the Flames. 2 years of zero defense, no focus on special teams, overplaying Phaneuf and reinforcing all of his bad habits, feuding with Kiprusoff, and completely mismanaging players like Tanguay and Huselius.

I hope no team in the league has to suffer with Keenan. The guy is off his rocker as far as I'm concerned and he will run any team into the ground with his complete lack of detail-oriented coaching.

for the person who wonders why Canucks fans don't like Keenan

1) the most obvious reason - he tried to make Trevor Linden (the most popular all-time Canuck to state the obvious) his whipping boy, suggested he was half-assing, claimed Linden wasn't sure if he wanted to be a part of the team, and then traded him.

2) didn't like fan-favorite Martin Gelinas either - and traded him.

3) ditto for Kirk McLean

4) talked smack about Gino Odjick (and then traded him) and Pat Quinn.

5) had a problem with Bure, Mogilny, Walker, Aucoin....

6) kept getting his tires pumped by the all-time least favorite Canuck, Messier.

To sum up - was a general ball-buster who let the dirty laundry spill out of the locker room, publicly devaluing (fan-favorite) players and then shipping them out - not the best strategy when it comes to building team cohesion or getting the most return for a player you intend to move. One of those guys who has to bring a wrecking ball with him, demo a team and remake it in his own image before hoping to achieve some success - by that point, he has pretty much worn out his welcome. Not surprising there were players who wanted to drop the gloves with him.

Perhaps he has mellowed with age... but regardless, will never be welcome in the Canucks organization again.

p.s. - I actually didn't mind him as a commentator... perhaps that is a better fit for him, than managing players and personalities, which he was obviously not particularly adept with.

You just listed all the reasons I think he should have stayed :P

I thought they would be more of a mess than they were when they brought him on. I didn't think they would make the playoffs.

I was actually most impressed that they did make the playoffs even though Sutter couldn't manage a roster (i.e. ending season playing games with incomplete lineup to make salary cap).

I could go on and on about how Keenan ruined the Flames. The uber-focus on trying to become good defensively again in 09/10 was due to the complete lack of it in the Keenan era. During the first few months of Brent Sutter's tenure, there were times where he would bag skate the team multiple times because they were struggling to maintain a basic zone defense in practice. There were also many stories that Keenan never practised Special Teams situations. The whole "country club" mentality that has plagued the reputation of the core players and the team as a whole stemmed from the Keenan era.

Archived