Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Report] Mike Keenan wants to return to the NHL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#31 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

He should have never been given a shot. He was instrumental in ruining the Flames. 2 years of zero defense, no focus on special teams, overplaying Phaneuf and reinforcing all of his bad habits, feuding with Kiprusoff, and completely mismanaging players like Tanguay and Huselius.

I hope no team in the league has to suffer with Keenan. The guy is off his rocker as far as I'm concerned and he will run any team into the ground with his complete lack of detail-oriented coaching.

You just listed all the reasons I think he should have stayed :P

I thought they would be more of a mess than they were when they brought him on. I didn't think they would make the playoffs.
I was actually most impressed that they did make the playoffs even though Sutter couldn't manage a roster (i.e. ending season playing games with incomplete lineup to make salary cap).
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#32 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,092 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

for the person who wonders why Canucks fans don't like Keenan

1) the most obvious reason - he tried to make Trevor Linden (the most popular all-time Canuck to state the obvious) his whipping boy, suggested he was half-assing, claimed Linden wasn't sure if he wanted to be a part of the team, and then traded him.

2) didn't like fan-favorite Martin Gelinas either - and traded him.

3) ditto for Kirk McLean

4) talked smack about Gino Odjick (and then traded him) and Pat Quinn.

5) had a problem with Bure, Mogilny, Walker, Aucoin....

6) kept getting his tires pumped by the all-time least favorite Canuck, Messier.

To sum up - was a general ball-buster who let the dirty laundry spill out of the locker room, publicly devaluing (fan-favorite) players and then shipping them out - not the best strategy when it comes to building team cohesion or getting the most return for a player you intend to move. One of those guys who has to bring a wrecking ball with him, demo a team and remake it in his own image before hoping to achieve some success - by that point, he has pretty much worn out his welcome. Not surprising there were players who wanted to drop the gloves with him.

Perhaps he has mellowed with age... but regardless, will never be welcome in the Canucks organization again.

p.s. - I actually didn't mind him as a commentator... perhaps that is a better fit for him, than managing players and personalities, which he was obviously not particularly adept with.

Edited by oldnews, 27 August 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#33 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

You just listed all the reasons I think he should have stayed :P

I thought they would be more of a mess than they were when they brought him on. I didn't think they would make the playoffs.
I was actually most impressed that they did make the playoffs even though Sutter couldn't manage a roster (i.e. ending season playing games with incomplete lineup to make salary cap).

Don't you worry! You guys can fire AV and have Keenan instead. We'll even give him a GLOWING reference! :bigblush:

Sutter's cap mismanagement was definitely a problem. It seemed as though it was trying to bring players like Jokinen on to try and force chemistry between players. Frankly, had Keenan not ruined the relationship with Tanguay, Jokinen might have very well worked. I honestly feel that Keenan's mismanagement of Tangs was one of his biggest mistakes.

I could go on and on about how Keenan ruined the Flames. The uber-focus on trying to become good defensively again in 09/10 was due to the complete lack of it in the Keenan era. During the first few months of Brent Sutter's tenure, there were times where he would bag skate the team multiple times because they were struggling to maintain a basic zone defense in practice. There were also many stories that Keenan never practised Special Teams situations. The whole "country club" mentality that has plagued the reputation of the core players and the team as a whole stemmed from the Keenan era.

#34 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

I could go on and on about how Keenan ruined the Flames. The uber-focus on trying to become good defensively again in 09/10 was due to the complete lack of it in the Keenan era. During the first few months of Brent Sutter's tenure, there were times where he would bag skate the team multiple times because they were struggling to maintain a basic zone defense in practice. There were also many stories that Keenan never practised Special Teams situations. The whole "country club" mentality that has plagued the reputation of the core players and the team as a whole stemmed from the Keenan era.

You would make a good Canucks fan (oh the ironing) ::D

I saw the same thing when Crawford replaced Keenan. In particular with the defensemen. With Keenan it was chase everything; under Crawford one D-man always remained in front of the net. I thought Jovo and McCabe improved dramatically once Keenan was gone and Crawford in.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#35 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Send Mike Keenan to the Bruins, so he can ruin that team!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,556 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

1) Fire AV

2) Hire Keenan

3) Win Cup

4)Of course I'm kidding

You got a few steps right.... :bigblush:

zackass.png

#37 TheDave

TheDave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

What an upsetting article..

"If he doesn't stop that one, it's goin' in!"

- Bob Cole

#38 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

I wouldn't let him be my team's water boy.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

Mike Milbury is the absolute worst though.

Bar none!!! Nobody can compare w/ Milbury for worst GM of all time!!!!!

#40 zduck14

zduck14

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Maybe it's just the rivalry between the Blackhawks and Bruins but I'm not gonna lie, I'd kinda like to see Keenan in Boston and Milbury in Chicago.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.