The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which NHL player holds the most trade value?

Garrison

Henrik Lundqvist, Quick or Schneider.

In ice hockey the goalie is by far the most important player, similar to a quaterback in football, but many disregard the position because they aren't as flashy as say a forward scoring goals like Crosby or Giroux.

Simply put, the best goalie in the NHL is more instrumental for the team's success than the best forward or best defenceman in the NHL. Lundqvist directly correlates to more wins and success for the Rangers than Stamkos did for Tampa Bay, or Giroux did for Philadelphia or even Malkin for Pittsburgh.

You take Malkin out of Pittsburgh and that team still has some forwards who can score, but you take Lundqvist out of New York and that team doesn't even make the playoffs - simple.

A forward plays 20 minutes a game for 82 games, a goalie plays 60 minutes a game for 60 games. Plus, the forward is only really involved in about 100 (if you're an elite forward) goals for, whereas the goalie is responsible for every goal scored against (on average, 2.3 GAA times 60 games is around 150 goals against), so 50% more important than forwards.

Im pretty surprised at how little ovechkins name pops up in this one.. i mean hed probly be right there behind crosby with immovables. As far as the not so obvious, theres a bunch.

In no particular order:

Kronwall DET

Penner, Richards, Carter LA

Kesler, Burrows, Edler VAN

Bolland CHI

Theres MANY more but my hand is tired..Oh wait, lets not forget Marchand. Hes the most valuable rat on the planet.. unless theres a diamond and 24 carat gold rat out there somewhere..

BAM! Another long, winding list of superstars, and no mention of ovechkin.

Kinda weird.. everybody thinks stamkos is holding the bolts together, but do you honestly think that without ovi, the caps would be fine? Sure theys still have an occasionally healthy backstrom but who would wire his passes into the net without ovi? Nobody. If anything, i think ovechkin is way more valuable than stamkos(to his respective team, of coarse). I think the bolts have the peices to hold strong sans stammer in the lineup. The caps not so much.

Its amazing what one single 30g year can do to an elite/proven superstars credibility.

So what? The reality is that his trade value has taken a hit because of his last 2 years. This isn't a thread discussing best players just which ones have the most value in a trade. No goalie should be mentioned here either since they get back significantly less in trades anyways. No one would give up Stamkos/Malkin/Giroux/Crosby for the best goalies out there (Lundy/Quick/Thomas).

1. Sidney Crosby - Best player in the game when healthy but he is proving to be fragile. Even outside of the concussions he has been prone to groin injuries and other bumps and bruises from playing overly aggressive for someone of his size. Personally i could put Stamkos and Malkin ahead of Sid but I feel Sid's value surpasses them because of the marketing aspect. Any team trading for him would have an already created marketing beast and one of the few household names in hockey to those who don't watch the sport. As good as Stamkos, Malkin, Weber.. etc are none of those names are common in American society to those who don't follow hockey or live in the respective cities.

2. Steven Stamkos - In his 4 seasons he has only missed 3 games all in his rookie year and none were because of injury. He was a healthy scratch for conditioning purposes (bulking up). In addition he is locked up long term at a smaller cap hit then guys like Crosby and Malkin. The best goal scorer in the NHL is also the most durable star in the game.

3. Evgeni Malkin - Similar to Sidney Crosby he is a monster when he is healthy but has proven to be injury prone in his career. In addition he is more of an offensive force then a rounded player. He can't play wing well but struggles on faceoffs. He is also a reckless defensive player and is always amoung the league lead in turnovers among forwards and tends to avoid physical contact on the ice (Stamkos had 109 hits to Malkin's 29 last season).

Honorable mentions...

4. Claude Giroux - Amazing contract at a 3.75 cap hit for 2 more years. Already an established playoff monster. Strong on the faceoff, strong physical play for a small guy, pretty durable (though has had a couple injuries), has proven he can carry a team, plays on the PK. He does need to work on his defense at times as he is prone to being pushed around by some of the bigger guys. He may move up higher but for now he has less hardware and has only had his 1 monster season so I feel he doesn't get the extra proven points.

5. Shea Weber - Elite forwards always get higher value then elite defenders. Even though people say defense wins championships.

Henrik Lundqvist, Quick or Schneider.

In ice hockey the goalie is by far the most important player, similar to a quaterback in football, but many disregard the position because they aren't as flashy as say a forward scoring goals like Crosby or Giroux.

Simply put, the best goalie in the NHL is more instrumental for the team's success than the best forward or best defenceman in the NHL. Lundqvist directly correlates to more wins and success for the Rangers than Stamkos did for Tampa Bay, or Giroux did for Philadelphia or even Malkin for Pittsburgh.

You take Malkin out of Pittsburgh and that team still has some forwards who can score, but you take Lundqvist out of New York and that team doesn't even make the playoffs - simple.

A forward plays 20 minutes a game for 82 games, a goalie plays 60 minutes a game for 60 games. Plus, the forward is only really involved in about 100 (if you're an elite forward) goals for, whereas the goalie is responsible for every goal scored against (on average, 2.3 GAA times 60 games is around 150 goals against), so 50% more important than forwards.

What does Stamkos being half Scottish have to do with anything?

Sidney Crosby obviously has the most trade value. The most popular player in the NHL & he's head and shoulders better than everyone else. He is healthy now in my opinion, he played in the playoffs didn't he?

Stamkos would be second I think, because he scores & he's still really young.

Then some others like Malkin, Giroux, Tavares, Pietrangelo, Toews, Weber, Ovechkin, etc...

I'm not saying Malkin isn't a great player. The question who has most trade value.

Stamkos scored 60 goals this last season winning the Rocket Richard trophy (Something he's done TWICE). Has played 82 games all three seasons. Averaging about 95 points per. He scored 51 goals in his rookie season. Malkin has scored for the first time in his career 50 goals. Oh did I mention that Stamkos is 22 and Malkin is 25? Malkin also has Crosby. What does Stamkos have? St. Louis?

You can't go wrong with either. But if you ask 29 GM's in the league I bet you'd get more for Stamkos than Malkin.

Malkin doesn't play with Crosby unless it's on the Powerplay or they're like down a goal late...

Crosby was concussed for like half the season anyways. Stamkos plays with the best playmaking winger in the league every shift...

BAM! Another long, winding list of superstars, and no mention of ovechkin.

Kinda weird.. everybody thinks stamkos is holding the bolts together, but do you honestly think that without ovi, the caps would be fine? Sure theys still have an occasionally healthy backstrom but who would wire his passes into the net without ovi? Nobody. If anything, i think ovechkin is way more valuable than stamkos(to his respective team, of coarse). I think the bolts have the peices to hold strong sans stammer in the lineup. The caps not so much.

Its amazing what one single 30g year can do to an elite/proven superstars credibility.

Archived