Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Canucks interested in Shea Weber

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#61 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Rather have Edler + depth/prospects then just Weber. Soon the Sedins aren't going to be first line players, and then soon they'll be retired. We need to keep our prospects now. Do you guys really want to be like Calgary with no future?

We have Garrison, and our defense is set. No need to go overpaying for a player.

Why..............

Must you be so god damn rational.
Posted Image

#62 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Why?

Trade our three best prospects and two more future prospects plus a solid third liner and an all star defenseman for another all star defenseman? hes good, but not that good.

I would do edler, hansen and a first MAYBE two firsts max. No way i would add lack, gaunce and jensen

Fair enough. I wouldn't part with all of those people either. I was kinda talking out my ass. But Nashville would want some prospects, not just NHLers, me thinks.
Posted Image

#63 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,417 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#64 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Even if Nashville would be interested in trading Weber (which I can't see), the asking price would be rediculous, bordering on offensive.
We have a solid core of players that would have to be torn apart to accomidate a trade as they would be part of the deal. One thing Gillis won't do is mess with the heart of our team. If he could deal spare parts, prospects and picks, I could see it, but Nashville wouldn't go for it.
Nope, in the end I don't see Weber ever coming to Vancity.

#65 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Edler and Weber are identical in ways:

Edler is one year younger and can put up the same points as Weber.
Weber is 6'4 234lbs whereas Edler is 6'3 215lbs
Edler still needs to work on his defensive game whereas Weber is solid defensively.

So yes, Weber is the better defensmen, but what happens if next season Edler has a better offensive season than Weber, and improves his defensive game enough to match up to Weber? Will you still want to trade for an over-payed defenseman of the same calibre? Or keep a similar offensive defenseman in Edler at what will probably be a bargain in the long run of 5-6m a year?
Posted Image

#66 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Edler and Weber are identical in ways:

Edler is one year younger and can put up the same points as Weber.
Weber is 6'4 234lbs whereas Edler is 6'3 215lbs
Edler still needs to work on his defensive game whereas Weber is solid defensively.

So yes, Weber is the better defensmen, but what happens if next season Edler has a better offensive season than Weber, and improves his defensive game enough to match up to Weber? Will you still want to trade for an over-payed defenseman of the same calibre? Or keep a similar offensive defenseman in Edler at what will probably be a bargain in the long run of 5-6m a year?

Pretty much. Edler has one year to prove himself as a consistent force on the Canucks defensive corps. My main gripe with Edler has been the lack of consistency. Some games he crushes anyone not in a Canucks jersey remotely close to blueine, some games he literally watches as we get scored on.

Weber ain't perfect either. Kesler proved that during the series against Nashville. However Weber is much more consistent, and moreso he adds something that I don't know if Edler can. Deterrence. When Weber is on the ice, there are very little liberties taken against his teammates. The same cannot be said for Edler. Can it?

The one piece of the puzzle the Canucks lack is an alpha defenseman. Sure Bieksa will stand up for his team, but his size prevents him from taking on the Lucics and Otts of the league.

Both Edler and Weber are amongst the best offensively gifted d-men in the league. Weber, however, is a more complete defensman.

Also, Edler hasn't signed with the Canucks and may be looking at Weber's contract for inspiration.
Posted Image

#67 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Even if Nashville would be interested in trading Weber (which I can't see), the asking price would be rediculous, bordering on offensive.
We have a solid core of players that would have to be torn apart to accomidate a trade as they would be part of the deal. One thing Gillis won't do is mess with the heart of our team. If he could deal spare parts, prospects and picks, I could see it, but Nashville wouldn't go for it.
Nope, in the end I don't see Weber ever coming to Vancity.

If Nashville were set on keeping Weber a Predator for life, they would have signed the NTC and NMC that Weber and his agent requested. It would be a mutually beneficial addendum to the contract. They didn't.

While I can't be sure of this, now that the contract is finalized, no clauses can be added.

That tells me that Nashville might be considering using Weber in a trade a year from now to acquire a few key pieces for a rebuild.
Posted Image

#68 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

I get the feeling Canuck-a-nuck is the sound of a solitary walnut bouncing inside your skull. That was truly the most mind-numbingly unintelligent trade proposed on CDC ever.

I'm sure you get a few feelings you can't explain nateb123.

I'll also assume you know the sound of nuts bouncing off your skull quite well.
Posted Image

#69 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Pretty much. Edler has one year to prove himself as a consistent force on the Canucks defensive corps. My main gripe with Edler has been the lack of consistency. Some games he crushes anyone not in a Canucks jersey remotely close to blueine, some games he literally watches as we get scored on.

Weber ain't perfect either. Kesler proved that during the series against Nashville. However Weber is much more consistent, and moreso he adds something that I don't know if Edler can. Deterrence. When Weber is on the ice, there are very little liberties taken against his teammates. The same cannot be said for Edler. Can it?

The one piece of the puzzle the Canucks lack is an alpha defenseman. Sure Bieksa will stand up for his team, but his size prevents him from taking on the Lucics and Otts of the league.

Both Edler and Weber are amongst the best offensively gifted d-men in the league. Weber, however, is a more complete defensman.

Also, Edler hasn't signed with the Canucks and may be looking at Weber's contract for inspiration.

Wait wut?

Ott is under 200 pounds and is a big coward when it comes to fighting, as in fights mostly none fighters.

Edited by Rypien37, 06 September 2012 - 12:39 PM.

Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#70 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Weber is due $13 million signing bonus + $1 mill salary this year and another $13 million bonus before he is eligible to be traded As per CBA.

NSH will not pay Weber $27 mill for 1 year of service and trade him. Any trade will happen after Weber has played at least 2 seasons with NSH.

After 2 seasons he will pbbly be traded but the price tag will be very high.

#71 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Wait wut?

Ott is under 200 pounds and is a big coward when it comes to fighting, as in fights mostly none fighters.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Sorry I meant Scott, John Scott.

Ott is a little turd, isn't he. Eye gouging Travis Moen. Gutless

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 06 September 2012 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image

#72 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

Why are people comparing Edler to Weber? Weber is arguably the best D man in the league...... Edler was terrible in the playoffs this year.

#73 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Why are people comparing Edler to Weber? Weber is arguably the best D man in the league...... Edler was terrible in the playoffs this year.

As trade pieces between Vancouver and Nashville. Nothing more.

At this point mere speculation.
Posted Image

#74 PredsFanFromLa

PredsFanFromLa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

oh boy,more shea weber to van rumors,i thought shea weber playing in vancouver was not his priority.

canucks may be interested in shea weber,but weber might not be interested in playing for the canucks.

#75 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,781 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Alex Edler, Jannik Hansen, Eddie Lack, Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce, and two first round draft picks for 2013.

If that was the asking price? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't even trade Edler, Lack, Jensen for Weber. Remember when people wanted to trade like Edler and Kesler/Schneider for Brad Richards or whatever the deal was back then.... imagine our team now if we did that.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#76 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I wouldn't even trade Edler, Lack, Jensen for Weber. Remember when people wanted to trade like Edler and Kesler/Schneider for Brad Richards or whatever the deal was back then.... imagine our team now if we did that.

Brad Richards isn't the most dominant player at his position in the entire league. So yeah, wasn't worth it.

I'd probably try to keep Lack, Jensen, and Gaunce out of any trade, but a team like Nashville would want top prospects for giving up their captain, and top defensman. Edler, Lack, Jensen would be laughed at.
Posted Image

#77 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Brad Richards isn't the most dominant player at his position in the entire league. So yeah, wasn't worth it.

I'd probably try to keep Lack, Jensen, and Gaunce out of any trade, but a team like Nashville would want top prospects for giving up their captain, and top defensman. Edler, Lack, Jensen would be laughed at.

Exactly, so who cares. We don't need him, our defense is actually very solid, especially if Edler ups his game this year.
Posted Image

#78 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Exactly, so who cares. We don't need him, our defense is actually very solid, especially if Edler ups his game this year.

You cared enough to leave a message.....

And if Edler doesn't up his game? What then?

Just sayin.....

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 06 September 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image

#79 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

Edler, Higgins, Hansen, Jensen, 1st

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#80 PredsFanFromLa

PredsFanFromLa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

if shea weber does get traded in the near future,i hopes it is to the pens,just to piss the flyers off.

#81 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

if shea weber does get traded in the near future,i hopes it is to the pens,just to piss the flyers off.

Ole Holmgren would blow his gasket.
Posted Image

#82 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

:lol: Don't think the Penguins have what Nashville wants for Weber (well they do they just don't want to move those pieces)

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#83 firestorm238

firestorm238

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Random question - can NHL teams include money in a trade (a la MLB)? For instance could the Canucks offer Nashville a package of players and $14 million next year for Weber?

#84 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

I think the Nash deal sets the new price for highly paid star players. Even after Nashville pays the 27 mil, the return wouldn't be as much as you guys think.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#85 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Random question - can NHL teams include money in a trade (a la MLB)? For instance could the Canucks offer Nashville a package of players and $14 million next year for Weber?

Not anymore nope.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#86 Haikara

Haikara

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Which teams aren't interested in Shea Weber?
Posted Image

#87 Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

No, just no.

Posted Image

#88 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

You cared enough to leave a message.....

And if Edler doesn't up his game? What then?

Just sayin.....

I wasn't critiquing you or anything. I'm just saying his value will obviously be through the roof when he's available for trade, so why tear apart the team when we have a similar defenseman in Edler, whom can still improve?

Sorry if I came across that way, I'm just debating CDC's obsession with Weber :P
Posted Image

#89 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

I wasn't critiquing you or anything. I'm just saying his value will obviously be through the roof when he's available for trade, so why tear apart the team when we have a similar defenseman in Edler, whom can still improve?

Sorry if I came across that way, I'm just debating CDC's obsession with Weber :P

I had no issue with any of your posts at anytime, tystick. Your ideas are always sound.

I agree with you on the idea of doing the most we can to keep the team intact. I believe a big part of this is holding on to our younger players who can keep the Canucks in contention for the forseeable future.

My initial post was a bit rash by including so many players, namely Gaunce, Jensen, and Lack. These three, I believe, will be instrumental pieces in a future Canucks line-up.

However, I do believe that Gillis will make a play for Shea Weber, if it is feasible. He went to Kelowna and had a three hour meeting at Weber's home, in which he stated his interest in making him a Canuck.

Gilman has also stated that they would be willing to pay Weber what he wants.

"He's one player you look at and see he's worth it," Gilman said.

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz25llfKmR5

At this point, it's nothing more than speculation.

But if the Canucks could acquire one of the league's best defenseman without totally destroying the team, we would be frighteningly good.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 07 September 2012 - 01:18 AM.

Posted Image

#90 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

I think the Nash deal sets the new price for highly paid star players. Even after Nashville pays the 27 mil, the return wouldn't be as much as you guys think.

Nash had a NTC so he controlled where he went. Weber does not so he could be traded to any team in the league. Different situation. Bigger return.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.