The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No doubt.

And arguably a big win for McEneny too. Of course, in the short term, he'd probably have preferred earning NHL dollars, even if it meant press box duties.

But for his career, a year of top duties in Utica and likely some callups/injury relief in Vancouver will probably be the best thing long term.

If he can put up an entire season as good as his 2016-17 second half, he should have a serious shot at a full time role in 2018-19 (and that's assuming he doesn't still play his way onto the roster later this season).

I agree completely.  This is the best case scenario for both parties.  I figured he was going to stick because of waivers, but that one more year in Utica would be best for him.  A year of PP development and they might just have a decent qb ready to go next season.

It will interesting to see how the chips land for those last spots.  Will they go 2d-1fwd

2fwd-1d

1fwd-1d-biega

Its been awhile since there's been this much competition for almost every spot, it's been fun to follow!

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree completely.  This is the best case scenario for both parties.  I figured he was going to stick because of waivers, but that one more year in Utica would be best for him.  A year of PP development and they might just have a decent qb ready to go next season.

It will interesting to see how the chips land for those last spots.  Will they go 2d-1fwd

2fwd-1d

1fwd-1d-biega

Its been awhile since there's been this much competition for almost every spot, it's been fun to follow!

Still calling Wiercioch and Biega as our spare D's. Pedan and Holm go down.

There's a lot more mystery around the forwards IMO. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Still calling Wiercioch and Biega as our spare D's. Pedan and Holm go down.

There's a lot more mystery around the forwards IMO. 

Don't you think Colorado would take Pedan off waivers though? I think there's less chance of losing Biega to waivers. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Don't you think Colorado would take Pedan off waivers though? I think there's less chance of losing Biega to waivers. 

Meh. 

Biega is a far better fit as 8D. If we waive Pedan the same day as VGK waives their D, I'm not terribly concerned. 

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Meh. 

Biega is a far better fit as 8D. If we waive Pedan the same day as VGK waives their D, I'm not terribly concerned. 

do you think George will let Jim know what day that is? ;)

I agree, Vegas is by far the most likely to lose D to Colorado but they are so depleted I could see them taking Pedan as well, since they have somehow managed to only have regular 4 D signed and 9 mil in cap space... if they ended up with Sbisa from VGK and Pedan off waivers from us thats actually a good move for Colorado to make imo. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Pedan is young, cheap, fast, and big. There's a chance he is taken given his contract + age but I'm not overly concerned. Pedan, much like Subban, has been leap frogged by a number of defensive prospects since his arrival. Colorado need young defensemen... As does Washington. So there's a possibility. The LV guys may be too expensive for some teams, honestly.

That said, since this is Evan McEney's post, I am glad that a CBA loophole worked out in our favor and Evan's not waiver eligible this year. One more year as a top pairing guy in Utica (likely alongside Jalen Chatfield) is going to do wonders for Evan's growth.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Pedan is young, cheap, fast, and big. There's a chance he is taken given his contract + age but I'm not overly concerned. Pedan, much like Subban, has been leap frogged by a number of defensive prospects since his arrival. Colorado need young defensemen... As does Washington. So there's a possibility. The LV guys may be too expensive for some teams, honestly.

That said, since this is Evan McEney's post, I am glad that a CBA loophole worked out in our favor and Evan's not waiver eligible this year. One more year as a top pairing guy in Utica (likely alongside Jalen Chatfield) is going to do wonders for Evan's growth.

This.

I'm so stoked that these guys will continue to build chemistry and play meaningful minutes in Utica. Chatfield looked like a beast so far in the pre-season. Excited to see the progression of these guys. Uticas backend is looking fantastic this year.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Quantum said:

good point :P 

McE has been a nice surprise and finding out he didn't need to clear waivers was a nice bonus. Along with him I think I'm most excited about him potentially pairing with Chatfield. If these guys end up being a regular top 6 NHL pairing someday both being un-drafted free agents that would be a scouting coup. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think that both Biega and Pedan could get claimed. If that's the case, I'd rather it be Pedan than Biega as the bulldog is a better player and much more versatile.  I think if anyone claims Pedan, it will be short term and will try to send him down, at which point I think Van gets first crack 

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good point :P 

McE has been a nice surprise and finding out he didn't need to clear waivers was a nice bonus. Along with him I think I'm most excited about him potentially pairing with Chatfield. If these guys end up being a regular top 6 NHL pairing someday both being un-drafted free agents that would be a scouting coup. 

I think McEneny is a lock for top 4 in a cpl years.  I'm not sure about Chatfield.......he's got to hone his survival instincts before he gets knocked out of a career.  He's taken some mammoth hits in pre-season

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

do you think George will let Jim know what day that is? ;)

I agree, Vegas is by far the most likely to lose D to Colorado but they are so depleted I could see them taking Pedan as well, since they have somehow managed to only have regular 4 D signed and 9 mil in cap space... if they ended up with Sbisa from VGK and Pedan off waivers from us thats actually a good move for Colorado to make imo. 

Probably be whatever day they put guys on waivers...

As for Pedan, again, meh. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, can't believe Evan McEneny isn't getting some credit on this site recently. According to Capfriendly he currently has 2G 4A 6P in only 8 games. Small sample size but that is a great start. 6'3 210lbs guy who looked really good in his small stint last year. Personally I think he's our next d callup and will be a good player for us in the future.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...