The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

16 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Does anyone have an information update on McEneny's progress from his injury and if he will be ready to go at training camp?

He had his knee surgery in early December with a six month timeline. That would mean he’d have finished his recovery by June. So, barring any setbacks, he’s probably had just about the full summer to train and should be in game shape by training camp.

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Anyone know whats going on with this guy? Is he still injured?

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

I've been wondering the same thing.  Not in camp so his knee must not be ready yet but I haven't seen any updates.

Am also confused. Another poster said that he was skating pre practice with Roussel, but 650 was talking about Roussel skating 'alone', so nothing clear there. Green at one point said that everyone was healthy, then added ( later ) that Roussel was not healthy, but did not mention McEneny.

11 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

With OJ, Sautner and other Dmen passing him by on the depth chart, I wonder if he has missed his chance at becoming a NHL regular.  I may be off on this but I just don;t see a future for him as a Canuck.

That is certainly possible but I don't think they have written him off yet. These long term injuries he has sustained have really put a dent in his chances though.

I must say; I thought he looked pretty decent in his call up near the end of the season back in 2016-17. Granted it was only for one game but I didn't think he looked out of place or overwhelmed by the pace of the game.

16 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

With OJ, Sautner and other Dmen passing him by on the depth chart, I wonder if he has missed his chance at becoming a NHL regular.  I may be off on this but I just don;t see a future for him as a Canuck.

When he was injured last year, he was Cull's #1 LD ( Sautner #2, Brisebois #3). Cull loved him. No-one has passed him by. I think Sautner is NHL ready and Brisebois is looking good ( will watch him closely tonight ), but McEneny, if fully recovered, should be the best of these three.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

When he was injured last year, he was Cull's #1 LD ( Sautner #2, Brisebois #3). Cull loved him. No-one has passed him by. I think Sautner is NHL ready and Brisebois is looking good ( will watch him closely tonight ), but McEneny, if fully recovered, should be the best of these three.

Yeah, even though his injury history concerns me, I’m still very high on McEneny. When he was a teenager, I made a rare comment (for me) and I basically guaranteed that this kid would make it as a pro. While I recognize I’m a pretty active “booster” on this forum and tend to be very optimistic about many of our prospects, I don’t generally go so far as to guarantee any of them (outside of the top picks) will make it as pros. There was just something about the way McEneny played. Hard to quantify it, but I just felt he had “pro chops” in that I could see a future player in him.

I still stand by that. Not that I’m risking that much saying it at this point, because since my initial comments, he’s played around 100 pro games, including a cup of coffee in a Canucks uni. So he’s “made it” already, to an extent. But I still believe he has a legitimate NHL future. Maybe just as a depth guy, or possibly more. At this stage, for me it’s about him getting healthy and staying healthy, so that he can make the most of opportunities and hopefully progress to the next level.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Sid.... Have you heard any updates of late on what his status is and if in fact he is working out with the team?

AFAIK he’s still waiting to be cleared to play, so unfortunately McEneny’s still not over the injury. Haven’t heard anything concrete about how close he is. I expect we’ll get details out of Utica in the coming weeks.

• Thanks 1

McEneny is a very good defenceman who can play either side; his development was exactly how you would hope.  His first pro season, he excelled in the ECHL. The second, he took ten or twelve games before he cracked the lineup, within a month or so, he was killing penalties, by the end of that year he was on the second PP unit.  In 2017/2018, he replaced Subban on the first unit PP in Utica - after a dozen games, he got hurt.  The question for him now is, how complete will his recovery be?  I really like his game, and sure hope he has a full recovery.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

They're smart if they ease him in(first month slowly). Might assist in holding onto an extra asset.

I agree with this.  We might be able to get him down to Utica, don’t know if he has to clear waivers on the way back, but I’m sure there are plenty of CDC eras who do know.  Respect to them.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

AFAIK he’s still waiting to be cleared to play, so unfortunately McEneny’s still not over the injury. Haven’t heard anything concrete about how close he is. I expect we’ll get details out of Utica in the coming weeks.

So if he hasn't been cleared, he might have to stick here until he can be sent down (vs just hanging around in Utica but not being cleared yet).