144 replies to this topic

#61 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

I honestly think it's unfair that they're singling out 1 player. All you guys think that it's just great that a member of our team is being showcased for embarrassment.

#62 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,143 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

POPULAR

I would rather have diving in the game than guys head-hunting, concussing star players and letting slashes and hacks go in the playoffs.

Get your priorities straight NHL. You want to keep the integrity of your league, cut down on "letting things go" in the playoffs and these disgusting, potentially career-ending head hits before you worry about guys harmlessly acting.
Posted Image

#63 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

I would rather have diving in the game than guys head-hunting, concussing star players and letting slashes and hacks go in the playoffs.

Get your priorities straight NHL. You want to keep the integrity of your league, cut down on "letting things go" in the playoffs and these disgusting, potentially career-ending head hits before you worry about guys harmlessly acting.

So Kesler Diving isn't an issue, change the subject hey.

Leaders don't dive...they fight through checks.

#64 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

So Kesler Diving isn't an issue, change the subject hey.

Leaders don't dive...they fight through checks.

He's saying the NHL has bigger problems rather than this. Dustin Brown dives, you know, the captain of the Stanley Cup champs, so he isn't a leader?

#65 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:01 AM

POPULAR

good.. kesler was the worst diver in the league last year. makes you embarressed to be a fan of him. if he doesnt stop the diving next year i would trade him in a heartbeat for a good canadian center of equal value

Ok like no Canadian player ever dove.. right?

#66 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

As long as referees continue to be duped, there will still be diving in the game. The league is merely trying to get players to think twice before being tempted to do so in order to protect the integrity of the game.

The number one complaint I hear about soccer is that players dive all over the pitch feigning injuries without repercussion. And if anyone followed the NBA lately, "flopping" has increasingly come to the forefront. If anything, the NHL should be commended for attempting to address the issue unlike its competition.

#67 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

Canucks lost the Cup to the Bruins in large part because they turned into a soccer team in the finals.(injuries was another). No way the NHL was going to end up a Euro soccer league.

Kesler is mentioned in the article but Henrik isn`t all that far behind according to videos posted in OP. Lu has always been LU, a known embellisher.

Hopefully our team culture changes and we lose this rep next season.

Whoa! No soccer team ever got scored on THAT much.

#68 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

I honestly think it's unfair that they're singling out 1 player. All you guys think that it's just great that a member of our team is being showcased for embarrassment.

I dont think it's great, I think it's BS.
Yes Kesler dives a bit too much, he's a competitor though and he wants to win games. Unfortunately he thinks diving is a means to that end but at least he's always trying to help the team, even if in fact it might be hurting them in end.
I dont like the diving but I support Kesler because he's trying his best to win.

#69 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Good.

I like watching hockey not soccer.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#70 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

At the NHL rules summit in August, a combination of executives and coaches and players addressed one of the League's growing on-ice problems: Embellishment, and the embellishers who embellish.
In order to curb diving, a few players involved in the forum supported the public shaming of chronic floppers. From NHL VP Colin Campbell, via NHL.com:

To that end, a few of the names prominently mentioned in those meetings have been leaked by Darren Dreger of TSN. Chief among them: Ryan Kesler of the Vancouver Canucks.
Fun fact: His teammate, Kevin Bieksa, was a part of the rules summit. (Awwwwkward…)

From TSN:

The "posting pictures" thing is somewhat new, as the players involved in the summit — including Ottawa Senators center Jason Spezza, Bieksa and Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles — talked about posting a list in every referees' locker room and players' dressing room.
But posting the photographs … OK, now we're getting into "dude who keeps passing bad checks at the liquor store" territory.
But hey, if it helps end the scourge of FIFA-level overacting, whatever works.
But Kesler? A diver? Outside of this …
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_YGH_cXx_w&feature=player_embedded
And this …
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNBme44BX4U&feature=player_embedded
And also this …
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs19kUzzlA&feature=player_embedded
And tumbleweeds …
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMqcMFu6bpg&feature=player_embedded&noredirect=1
… we've only seen him dive one or two dozen times.
(But please remember: Diving is evil, but it's also a tactic.)
Meanwhile, Kesler must be wondering how he could be singled out as a diver on a team that has Alex Burrows and Max Lapierre in its employ. Because we sort of are.

Keep in mind this is a Yahoo sports article...

That last clip is his greatest performance as a diver and also one of the most embarrassing moments ever as a long time Canucks fan - a terrible symbol of the weakness shown by the team in that series.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#71 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

I thought Kesler was more of a surfer than a diver.
(insert surfing the net gif)

#72 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

What a shock!

#73 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

. if he doesnt stop the diving next year i would trade him in a heartbeat for a good canadian center of equal value

Yeah. It's because he's American that he dives. And no Canadian player would ever do such a thing. What an idiotic assumption.

#74 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Kesler fakes being tripped, refs fake knowing the rules, it all evens out.

Haha, good point.

"Oh I'm so embarrassed, our player dives, he's the only one in the league who does this." But, hey, he is the best!"
whaaaaaaa :rolleyes:

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#75 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Honestly, until the LA series, I didn't think of Kes as a diver.
More of a whiner, with a normal amount of embellishment.

But wow...that series. Embarrassing.

I still take issue with singling out players, its dumb.
Kes dives maybe slightly more than average, but honestly
youtube any star player and "diving" and you'll find some clips.
Its just that his recent shenanigans are in recent memory.

They need to call more penalties to cut it out.
Kes wants to do anything to win. I get that.
If they're not calling diving, why wouldn't you?

If he got penalized multiple times, or got ejected from the
game, I'm pretty sure he'd think twice. (This really goes for all players)

#76 gouda

gouda

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

i agree they need to get rid of diving. but i also think they should get rid of bad officiating! which i believe is a reason some players embellish! what does it take to finally get a call!!! if theyre gonna make a spectacle of certain players, they should of certain referees too! in fact some of theyre calls and no calls really need to reviewed and decided if they actually missed or persuading the game.Very inconsistent! not only from game to game, ref to ref but within single games and single referees inconsistent officiating. Betman's boytoy refs should not be protected!!!!! the INTEGRITY of the game is what needs to be protected! protected from the players AND refs!

#77 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

I will assume the NHL will ignore the fact that he is embelishing, which means he is pointing out he is either being hooked or triped when he does "dive". Every player that has a stick anywhere near their head, whips their head back like they've been shot, if they don't the call won't be made.

#78 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,926 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

referee objectively - call the play on the merits of the play, regardless of 'reputation' - calling the game by reputation is bs - if a guy dives, call him every time - if a guy doesn't usually dive, call a penalty anyway - deal with the discipline for repeat offenders separately - the last thing the NHL needs is to further empower referees to get even more subjective.

is a guy like Shawn Thornton exempt because he's a drop the gloves, physical player and not the stereotype of a diver?

imo this is about as flagrant as a dive gets...

how many dives does it take to make the list?

there are very few players that never embellish

I don't see this list thing as a practical way of handling the problem - yes Kesler's antics pissed me off, particularly this post season after it appeared he might be growing past that crap - but this list nonsense is just going to lead to politicking and a tug of war over who belongs on the list - and NHL officials have a list in their heads anyhow - in the end just call it regardless of reputation - and then review it and discipline it taking repeat offender status into account.

Edited by oldnews, 20 September 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#79 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,511 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

It's pretty typical for the media over there to single out a Canuck for something like this. They ignore us. They are asleep for our games. But when something like this comes up, that's when they get their back up and pretend that they know what they're talking about.

I think the team is used to it though.

We got it. We're the bad guys. Next?
Posted Image

#80 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

I hope to god this stops our diving. SOOO embarrassing!!

What they need to do is start handing out significant fines, as the fines in place right now deter NO one.

Edited by BenDrinkin, 20 September 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#81 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,926 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

i agree they need to get rid of diving. but i also think they should get rid of bad officiating! which i believe is a reason some players embellish! what does it take to finally get a call!!! if theyre gonna make a spectacle of certain players, they should of certain referees too! in fact some of theyre calls and no calls really need to reviewed and decided if they actually missed or persuading the game.Very inconsistent! not only from game to game, ref to ref but within single games and single referees inconsistent officiating. Betman's boytoy refs should not be protected!!!!! the INTEGRITY of the game is what needs to be protected! protected from the players AND refs!

exactly - how about a list of referees who lose control of games - or worse, rationalize doing so on the basis of 'entertainment value' or 'playoff hockey'.
I laughed out loud yesterday listening to former NHL players talking about how bad the substitute NFL officials are - and the fact that it is leading to guys taking liberties, and in one game, nearly erupted into an NHL style brawl...
yeah - the NHL has substitute quality officiating every night
dealing with that should be their #1 priority.

#82 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Not a big fan of Kesler after last season.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#83 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Question: Is it just people's "feeling" that Kesler is a big diver or are they offering video proof that he's diving more than other players in the league? Because, as others pointed out, occasionally diving is a tactic used by many players and some of the teams (I'm looking right at you, Chicago!) who are quick to point the finger are the biggest offenders themselves.

Singling out individual players without definitive proof that they are worse than others just makes this another game tactic to be used by allowing some players to accuse other players and in doing so all but ensure that player won't get a call even when it's deserved. And haven't we already seen the result of that, especially during our last SC run? It still seems like even though the majority of what was said about them wasn't even close to true, neither Sedin can get a a call from a ref with a 4G cell phone, a full battery and a promise of phone sex.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#84 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

This isn't about getting or not getting calls. It's bottom line embarrassing, especially for a big, jacked star player like Kes. I don't care how many others do it, doesn't make it any more acceptable.

So many times when guys flop down and stay down, they won't get the call, in the meantime its 5v4 because someone is laying on the ice looking for a ref, the other team goes down the ice and scores. Whenever Lou does it, it seems like he doesn't care that the play is still going on, focusing on the refs instead of the puck. Yea great tactic.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 20 September 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#85 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

I can't stand diving. It has ruined football (soccer to the uninformed) A trait brought into the game by the latin countries who found they couldn't compete physically without fouling.
Kevin.jpg

#86 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Marchand dives more often than Kes. But yes, Kes was diving a lot last year.

The Canucks in general were frustrated, their power play was obliterating the league and the refs put their whistles in their pockets to cool it down.

"Who knows, the center ice ref might have had a better view than the ref 5 feet away."

#87 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Despite popular belief I don't often see the Sedins dive that much.

Daniel doesn't ... Henrik embellishes all the time ...

#88 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Daniel doesn't ... Henrik embellishes all the time ...

The Sedins don't embellish, they are constantly harassed by the opposition and fight through it without getting any calls.

Subbancopy.jpg

#89 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hear hear...the NHL has bigger problems then "diving" and should be addressing said problems ie. like career ending hits, inconsistent reffing, financial distress. This almost seems like a diversion tactic because it is so trivial. On the list of things that needs to be addressed in the NHL, and someone brings up "diving" as one of the growing "on ice problems", I'd say that should be 339th on the list of priorities. There are bigger things to address like acts that compromise the safety of the players like head hits and boarding, and consistent and appropriate disciplinary action such that it effectively deters any player from ever engaging in such conduct. We've seen far too many players unnecessarily go down due to another player's illegal acts causing injury and taking them out of the game. This should be more of a concern to the NHL...not "diving". People do not come to games to see their players go down or watch acts of brutality and see players lack of regard for each others safety, they come to watch their players play a good solid competitive, entertaining, skilled hockey game.

Besides, when I think Kesler...I think "playoff beast" and was lucky to have him on our side. I certainly would not have wanted to be playing against him...the guy was unstoppable.

Edited by Mauii, 20 September 2012 - 02:58 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#90 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Ryan is an Olympic class diver.

Edited by Keke Mortson's helmet, 20 September 2012 - 11:40 AM.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.