The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Under the NHL's proposed CBA moving Luongo will be easier then finding a date in Surrey. His salary cap will drop to 4.7 million. If he retires, we take on the rest of his salary cap = no risk at all for new owners. AND we can even hold back a portion of his contract. Under the NHL's proposal, Luongo just turned more valuable then Shane Doan was this summer.

But Gillis isn't "lieing" here, he's stating a fact that he hasn't yet been formally traded.

Where there's smoke, though, there's usually fire, and it's looking like Toronto will be Louie's next home. Someone earlier referenced Reimer coming back - no. That'd be stupid. We need a veteran, clear, obvious backup.

Maybe not, but $1.8M is a lot to pay for a backup goalie. Yzerman's taking a reasonable gamble on Lindback; if it works, great, he's acquired a possible future star; if not, that's fine, Garon gets plugged in. Acquiring Luongo would allocate $7M of cap space to their goaltending position - not including Garon's $1.3M. Seems a little rich for TBL.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/10/19/john_shannon_roberto_luongo_to_be_traded_to_toronto_maple_leafs/

So there we were Wednesday night on Hockey Central, Jeff Marek, Nick Kypreos, John Garrett and I discussing the merits of Patrick Roy versus Martin Brodeur. And then the topic of what the Vancouver Canucks are going to do in goal when the NHL returns came up.

To the shock of many, I blurted out that the Roberto Luongo-to-Toronto Maple Leafs deal “was done.”

As with anything said on TV, the Twittersphere exploded for 36 hours with Leafs and Canucks fans wanting to know my source, who was involved, how the two teams could talk during a lockout -- all legitimate questions for a deal of such magnitude.

Obviously, neither team confirmed my story, nor should they. Quite frankly, without a CBA in place, trades can’t occur, and team officials publicly discussing any player transactions would result in some sort fine from New York.

listen_icon_small.png Listen now: John Shannon talks Roberto Luongo with Jeff Blair

However, I have been told that the next time Roberto Luongo plays in the NHL, he will play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It is from a reputable source. End of story.

I do not know who or what he will be traded for, and believe it or not, I don’t think general managers Mike Gillis and Brian Burke know either. The rules of any new collective bargaining agreement will dictate the actual transaction.

Common sense, which seems to be in great shortage these days, puts Luongo in Toronto for a few key reasons.

The Leafs can handle his salary, and there is a huge need in Toronto for a veteran goaltender. The Leafs organization is very familiar with Luongo’s talent, ability and personality. It is an excellent fit.

As I have said all along, the deal in place is all contingent on what the new CBA says.

It doesn't appear that their proposal calls for a rollback in the current value of contracts and their cap hits... it will basically just be taken care of in escrow.

Also... yes it would be easy to find a trading partner for Luongo if we were able and willing to take on some of his cap hit, but the question is why would WE do that? We are a cap ceiling team so don't look for US to take on extra cap hits.

The clause where we would be on the hook for his whole cap hit when he stops playing is ludicrous and would mean we can't afford to move him.

Assuming the above clause doesn't make it to the final agreement though, AND the ability to retain up to 50% of the actual salary or cap hit of a contract in a trade goes in... then no question we are able to trade Luongo and his value goes up substantially. Not because we are willing to retain his cap hit, but because we are willing to retain some of his salary.

A trade for Lecavalier becomes a good proposition for example if Tampa kept half of his cap hit but we paid his full salary... and we kept a few bucks of Luongo's salary but none of his cap hit.

I have always agreed with your posts Provost, but the take it or leave it offer that ends the lockout is instant rollbacks. The NHLPA wants what your proposing but the NHL said no way. There will be some small changes to the NHL's proposal, but when it comes to rollbacks they said it is not negotiable. The offer is on the NHL's main site. I will post a link to it so you can understand what is being offered.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=643572

And second, do we want the cup? We are in the unique position under new CBA rules to "buy a cup". Under their proposal we will have 11 million in extra cap space BEFORE a Luongo trade for one year! Trade Luo, keep 1 million or so salary, we have then close to 15 million in cap space. We could grab some big players. Win the cup. Trade em away for picks. 5 years from now, we are a contender again.

I have always agreed with your posts Provost, but the take it or leave it offer that ends the lockout is instant rollbacks. The NHLPA wants what your proposing but the NHL said no way. There will be some small changes to the NHL's proposal, but when it comes to rollbacks they said it is not negotiable. The offer is on the NHL's main site. I will post a link to it so you can understand what is being offered.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643572

And second, do we want the cup? We are in the unique position under new CBA rules to "buy a cup". Under their proposal we will have 11 million in extra cap space BEFORE a Luongo trade for one year! Trade Luo, keep 1 million or so salary, we have then close to 15 million in cap space. We could grab some big players. Win the cup. Trade em away for picks. 5 years from now, we are a contender again.

Why do people say they want to get rid of Raymond and then say they want Kadri in a trade? You guys know that Kadri and Raymond are very similar right? There is lots of videos of Kadri's play. He is a fast skater who can create opportunities but has no physical play and sucks defensively. A line with both Kadri and Raymond would be a scary line. But there is no point in trading away Raymond to get another Raymond.

I think Kadri has more upside.

I wouldnt mind giving Lappy a shot but other than a 3rd like center and prospects/picks im not really sure what else we need back in return for Lu, so why not get a young kid like that with some good skill & good upside, plus Lappy could always be used well in a 4th line role, and then we could finally have a 4th line that could maybe do something in the playoffs.

Kadri may have more upside but I think he has a higher bust probability as well. I wouldn't be terribly upset if kadri was part of a deal but I like the idea of colburne due to his size. kadri is not that big of a guy and we have a fair amount of that already. I'd say we could use a 2 line right wing (not that to has much to offer) but even a guy like kulemin. I think I'd be ok with something in return like kulemin, kadri/colburn and franson.

Can we not find a player for $27.5 mill who would be as useful as Lecavalier though? Sooner or later Aquilinni, instead of idiot fans or his GM has to ask this question. We too actually have to pay real dollars!

So we take all $55 mill owing on Vinny's deal, and 1/2 Lou's (what $40 mill remaining?) and that's $75 mill for Lecavalier!

Can I sell u a bridge?

I think you are missing the distinct difference between cap space and actual dollars and that is the entire point of my post. Tampa Bay is not a cap team and is unlikely to ever be a cap team.... so how much cap space they devote to goaltending or any other position is largely irrelevant.

What IS relevant is the actual cash spent. Spending less than $4.5 million on the goaltending position and getting an all-star veteran and one of the better young future prospects as your duo would be a stellar deal for them in terms of value for dollar spent.

Add to that they get to offload the Lecavalier contract (the actual dollars but only half the cap hit) which would save them $55 million over the course of it's life... there is no question in my mind that TBL would jump on that deal in a heartbeat.

That retaining cap space/salary clause would do wonders for the trade market and really allow rich and poor teams to make deals that benefit them both.

Ya I would like that too.

I think Colbourne won't turn out to be much to be honest, I think he has more bust potential than Kadri, although niether are sure things.

We could also go for another guy like Ashton or Frattin.

Im watching the Marlies game and Kadri got an assist on the opening goal, but right now Kenny Ryan has 2 goals, maybe he wouldn't be bad to get in it. he was a 2nd round pick of them in 09 I think.

Yikes.

Kadri and Lecavalier.

"If Nazem Kadri is serious about a career in hockey, he’d better get serious about his diet.

So says Dallas Eakins, head coach of the Toronto Marlies, who left the Maple Leafs first-round pick and the rest of his charges gasping for air after a litany of fitness tests on Friday.

“The one thing Kadri has to improve is his eating habits,” said Eakins. “His body fat today is probably in the bottom three to five guys in our whole camp. That’s unacceptable."

http://www.thestar.c...at-marlies-camp

Why would the Canucks need this undersized, soft kid who simply doesn't work hard? Where would Kadri fit in the lineup? He's the antithesis of a third line center, and with all due respect, is he top 6 material? The Canucks have a speedy, skilled, two way guy in Schroeder, with far more grit, who I certainly would not give the Leafs one for one for Kadri, and a pair of 1st and 2nd round draft picks at center just acquired in this year's draft, who fit the bill much better in terms of the types of players the Canucks need in the near future.

A serious no thanks on Kadri. Kyle Wellwood would probably be a better option haha.

And Lecavalier? Forget his contract - some people here have suggested (with absolutely no statistical evidence) that Luongo is declining... Lecavalier has his Cup, he has his lifetime contract, he has insane money guaranteed, he seems to lack incentive, and if you want to talk decline, how about 92 points, 67, 70, 54, 49 over his last five seasons (and a combined -49). Tampa's top 6 isn't exactly chopped liver, meaning 49 points playing with those guys doesn't really impress...

By comparison, Higgins and Hansen had 82 points on the third line in Vancouver, play solid two way hockey, were +29, and made 1.9 and 1.35 million. Not to mention that I've seen these two guys tossed in as extras in a Luongo deal for some pretty pathetic returns.

Kadri is a 1.72 million cap hit... and Lecavalier?

Some of the same people here complaining (endlessly) about Gillis, proposing to waste Luongo on these kinds of assets.

Thank gawd Gillis is the guy making this deal.

I could see colbourne being a project more than anything. The nucks have been fairly good in developing players over time. It'll probably happen with kass. I like that as an organization guys aren't rushed into service ( i suppose because of where we draft the guys need time) I think the idea of frattin or ashton would be good as well. We're in a pretty enviable position at the moment. we have some amazing players that still have some good years left and some players on the way out to bring in more prospects. Many non canuck fans seem to think we're on a path to not reaching the playoffs. I'd disagree we have a good few years left in our core players and some pretty decent prospects waiting in the wings to start replacing aging players. I do think we could still use more forward prospects (namely a future 1st line center)

Archived