The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Lion Khalif Mitchell makes racist comment on his twitter towards Asians

taxi

"CHINK" ...

A number of dictionaries have provided different suggestions as to the origin of chink. Some of these suggestions are that it originated from the Chinese courtesy ching-ching,[3] or that it evolved from the word China,[4] or that it was an alteration of Qing,[5] as in the Qing Dynasty (Ch'ing Dynasty), or that the word evolved from the other meaning of chink, which is a small crevice, crack, gap or a narrow opening, being a simile for small or slanted eyes. (Sometimes, the word is indeed employed as an adjective, as in chink-eyed.)[6]

The most obvious etymology is chink evolved from the Indo-Iranian word for China, that word now having similar pronunciations in various European languages, such as Persian.[7] And that the Indo-Iranian and hence European name for China is an alteration of the Chinese name Qin, which has recurred in Chinese history a number of times, including the name of the western kingdom, which took over the rest to form the first Empire. This was the first time the name had been seen, and now it is a very common family name in China and Vietnam (Cheng, Trinh, and similar). Because it is a very common family name, it is impossible to trace it back to any specific time place or person, and the lack of evidence for the coining of the term in English (or any other European language) is therefore not unusual. It is possible that word was imported into Indo-European as the name of the Qin state

Blame it on the Muslim world .. again .. (sarcasm alert) .. :)

I'll give u a break. Because intelligence is not ur strong suit. I did not say it was right or I agreed with him.

I only shared my personal life experience. Any one who didn't see that is a moron.

The only reason I know that's a racial slur is because of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Otherwise I wouldn't know "chinks" was a racist term...Unlikely that he didn't know, but still plausible.

In any event, whether he knew or not, he still posted it. The onus is still on him.

Archived