#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,462 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

@ChrisBottaNHL
Source tells @SBJSBD about today's press conference - "#Isles set to play in Brooklyn in 2015."

307mg00.jpg

#2 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

The New York Islanders are set to announce that they will be moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York when their lease expires at Nassau Coliseum after the 2014-15 season.

The team has called a news conference for this afternoon at the new arena, which will be home to the NBA's Brooklyn Nets this season.

The news conference will be attended by Islanders owner Charles Wang and general manager Garth Snow, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg among others.
Wang has been lobbying for a new arena for his team for several years. The Nassau Coliseum has been home to the team since it was built in 1972.

Wang has been frustrated in his attempts to find a new location in recent years. Last summer, his proposal to build a new arena and keep the Islanders on Long Island was voted down in a referendum by local residents.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408031

#3 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,510 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

still on long island, everyone saw this coming, sucks that the builders of the nets arena went with the lower capacity hockey version of the building.

#4 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

Meh, I was hoping they'd move to Canada... :(

#5 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

I am happy for them. I think any team that at one point was a dynasty sc winning franchise should have everyone's support to be fixd if in financial issues. I see these problems happening to the wings n Joe lu soon enough.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#6 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

I am happy for them. I think any team that at one point was a dynasty sc winning franchise should have everyone's support to be fixd if in financial issues. I see these problems happening to the wings n Joe lu soon enough.

Detroit is in sad shape. If Obama cut off the food stamps they would lose half their population. I had heard that the Wings were selling deep discounted tickets.

#7 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

still on long island, everyone saw this coming, sucks that the builders of the nets arena went with the lower capacity hockey version of the building.

What is the hockey capacity of the Barclays Center?
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Capacity for an NHL game is roughly 14,500. So it would be the smallest in the NHL.I'm happy to hear that at least the Islanders will be around for a little while longer. My favourite NHL franchise.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#9 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Their attendance last year averaged 13,191.

If they sold out every game at Barclay's they would be 28th in attendance instead of 29th.
Posted Image

#10 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,752 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Good to see they're (mostly) sticking around...hope they can get that team back to some semblance of respectability at some point...
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

This would be a good change for them since they've been going downhill for quite a while. Brooklynders must be happy to get 2 sports team in a 3-year span!

#12 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

I told ya....

#13 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,715 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Move them within 20km of the Rangers. SMART

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#14 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Sources: Isles moving to Brooklyn

Updated: October 24, 2012, 11:59 AM ETESPN.com news services

The New York Islanders have agreed to move to Brooklyn's Barclays Center from Long Island as early as 2015, sharing the arena with the Nets, league sources tell ESPN.
The team has scheduled a "major announcement" for 1 p.m. ET Wednesday. Commissioner Gary Bettman, Islanders owner Charles Wang, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz, Islanders general manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets chief executive Brett Yormark will be in attendance.
The Islanders' lease at Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015, and the team has been trying to secure a new arena near the site for some time. Nassau County voters rejected a $400 million proposal for a new arena, funded by bonds, in August 2001.
Wang has threatened to move the team from the site when the team's lease expires after the 2015 season. Wang, the founder of a computer software company, presented a plan in 2003 for a privately funded multibillion-dollar development of housing, retail and a new arena on the property, but the proposal foundered amid community opposition.
The move to Brooklyn isn't without complications. Under current plans, Barclays Center would hold only 14,500 for hockey, and sources familiar with the facility were skeptical regarding the arena's long-term viability as the home of an NHL franchise. At 15,004, Winnipeg's MTS Centre currently has the NHL's smallest capacity.
As recently as April, Bettman said Brooklyn might not be a viable destination for the Islanders because it's hard to reach for the team's fan base in Long Island and Queens. However, the team's announcement of a news conference at the Barclays Center trumpeted the fact that it is located "atop one of the largest transportation hubs in New York City ... accessible by 11 subway lines, the Long Island Rail Road, and 11 bus lines."
The outdated Coliseum -- it was built in 1971 and opening in 1972 -- is no longer suitable for the NHL once the lease expires. The arena holds 16,234, but the Islanders' average attendance last season was 13,191.
In an April interview with The Associated Press, Bettman sounded lukewarm about the idea of the Islanders moving to Brooklyn.
"Barclays, I suppose on some level, is an option," he said at the time.

Edited by WHL rocks, 24 October 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#15 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,510 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Move them within 20km of the Rangers. SMART

they were already 28 miles away from the rangers, and are still on long island, this isn't going to change anything.

#16 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

The hockey configuration at Barclays is really awkward... no seating behind one of the goals. I'm not a fan. i think it's just an interim move until they can get funding for a new arena. Nassau County will realize how much it hurts the economy not to have them there, and they'll finally vote in favor of a new arena.

Posted Image
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#17 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

The hockey configuration at Barclays is really awkward... no seating behind one of the goals. I'm not a fan. i think it's just an interim move until they can get funding for a new arena. Nassau County will realize how much it hurts the economy not to have them there, and they'll finally vote in favor of a new arena.

Posted Image

That is weird. You can definately tell it was set up for basketball specifically and hockey would be an afterthought.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#18 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image

That was the seating chart for the New York Islanders preseason games. Adjustments will be made when the team opens in 2015 as they are adding seats to push the total number of seating north of 15,000.

Posted Image

#19 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,510 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

That is weird. You can definately tell it was set up for basketball specifically and hockey would be an afterthought.

the builders had an option to make the arena dual purpose or single purpose, since wang was adamant on trying to get nassau coloseum redone, they went with single purpose, which ended up screwing the islanders in the end.

#20 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

This is no interm move.

Wang signed a 25 year deal to stay in Brooklyn...
Risky risky move that I wouldnt of done!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#21 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,510 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

That was the seating chart for the New York Islanders preseason games. Adjustments will be made when the team opens in 2015 as they are adding seats to push the total number of seating north of 15,000.

yeah, they will sell seats in the white area, but they have a very limited view, and are clearly cutting out a number of seats, limiting the capacity. saskatoon's credit union centre can seat 15,195 right now, and that's just a WHL arena.

Edited by avelanch, 24 October 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#22 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

well it seems Islander Arena problem is solve..........no how about the oilers and their arena problems

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#23 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Here's the actual setup of hockey in the Barclays Center:

Posted Image

The arena just opened and would be costly, but would it be realistic for them to make adjustments to centre the rink in the arena to improve sight lines? Especially if this is going to be a permanent home for the Islanders.

Posted Image

#24 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Guess i was wrong about it being an interim move, but I still think the seating is inadequate. I'm going to a KHL game there in January so I can give an update and maybe change my mind. to me, it's not so much the number of seats that's a problem. you can surely add some seats in that grey area behind the net, but the sight lines will probably be pretty bad (too high for being so close to the net). also it'll look weird on TV.

Edited by La Mauviette75, 24 October 2012 - 10:58 AM.

Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#25 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,510 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Here's the actual setup of hockey in the Barclays Center:

Posted Image

The arena just opened and would be costly, but would it be realistic for them to make adjustments to centre the rink in the arena to improve sight lines? Especially if this is going to be a permanent home for the Islanders.

completely unrealistic to jackhammer all the lower bowl out just to increase the angle at either end. the reason they have it the way it is is because only the sections the rink goes into fold back.

#26 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Odd configuration for seating there, but that team really needed out of the Nassau.

Hope the city council of the Edmonton Oilers is taking note here...yes the Islanders didn't move too far away, but they are still moving.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#27 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Seating looks fine in Google images, check it out. I'd post pictures but I'm on mobile.
Posted Image

#28 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,510 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Seating looks fine in Google images, check it out. I'd post pictures but I'm on mobile.

you gotta be kidding, it looks horrible:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by avelanch, 24 October 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#29 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,902 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Just as moving to Brooklyn was a great move for the Nets, this will also be good for the Islanders. Brooklyn has become the "hip" area of New York. So much of the premier dining and entertainment has moved to this area. And Barclays Arena is right in the heart of it. This gives them far more credibility from a public perception point of view.

High rollers from New York are going to be more likely to plan an evening around an Islanders game when they can continue their evening in that area - when the clubs/etc. will be just getting started. Regular Joes and families may not consider this as important, but this is of key importance to the "corporate elite" of NYC, which is where the real money is. I bet they can charge 20-30% more for luxury boxes and premier seating, and still sell out no problem.

It's also closer for anyone from Manhattan and the mainland to get to (so rival fans will be more likely to make the trip), and easily accessible by all forms of transit. Nassau Colliseum is over 20 kms east from Barclays, which may not seem like much, but is HUGE when trying to make the trip through NYC traffic during peak hours. (Google estimates the driving time from Barclays to Nassau at 43 minutes. In rush hour that would be over an hour.) Let's say a blue collar working stiff who moved from Queens to Jersey, works until 5pm, and wants to take in an Islanders game with his family with his family. Nassau might be simply too far to go. He will be far more likely to be able to make it to Barclays by puck-drop.

Edited by D-Money, 24 October 2012 - 11:19 AM.

Posted Image

#30 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Posted Image
Looks workable there, seating on both sides of the net, room to move and add seats.

Edited by PlayStation, 24 October 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.