137 replies to this topic

#91 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

For the record, I'm not a "punk", I have 10' skate logo tattooed over my heart and I was at game seven. I'm not biased towards my team though, I try to look at things objectively. All of which, is more than "overlord" can probably say. What's laughable is your grammar, you're missing around fives commas.

Welcome to CDC. If you're not blatantly overvaluing Canuck players while simultaneously bashing players on other teams, you're an outcast.

#92 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

"Why pass on him"
This is getting comical, how do so many of you find it so hard to get through your thick skulls, we didn't pass on him...WE DIDN'T PASS ON HIM.

He chose Edmonton, end of story. Nothing we could've done. We could've promised him 60 mins icetime and wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

The Comment about Chicago ver 2.0 is also laughable. I do not see a Keith or Seabrook on there D-line and not one of these kids has proven to be as good a two-way players as Toews. Enough already! A lot can happen to this Oiler team to derail this tank job they call a rebuild.

#93 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

But he has a f in 10 in skate tatooed on his heart. He was at game 7. He's so badass.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#94 vv2

vv2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

why Are you guys still talking about him? He's an oiler accept and move on
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#95 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

"Why pass on him"
This is getting comical, how do so many of you find it so hard to get through your thick skulls, we didn't pass on him...WE DIDN'T PASS ON HIM.

He chose Edmonton, end of story. Nothing we could've done. We could've promised him 60 mins icetime and wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

The Comment about Chicago ver 2.0 is also laughable. I do not see a Keith or Seabrook on there D-line and not one of these kids has proven to be as good a two-way players as Toews. Enough already! A lot can happen to this Oiler team to derail this tank job they call a rebuild.

Man, why did we pass on him though?

Posted Image

#96 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Man, why did we pass on him though?

there was 2 teams that didn't tender him an offer. Those are the teams that passed on him.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#97 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Gillis should be fired for Schultz picking Edmonton.

Durr.
Posted Image

#98 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

there was 2 teams that didn't tender him an offer. Those are the teams that passed on him.

I know I was jus jokin

Posted Image

#99 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

I care. It's classless.

Typical Canucks fans
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#100 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Schultz made a smart move by going to Edmonton. People need to get over it.

#101 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Another assist for him last night. I wonder how he does in the NHL.

#102 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Gillis should be fired for Schultz picking Edmonton.

Durr.

...I know that you're joking, but failing to land Schultz is still a failure.

This is a guy that 90% of this forum expected us to land. This is a guy that's from Vancouver, parents are season tickets holders, etc. And I just don't buy the notion that the phone calls from Gretzky & Messier, the appearances from Hall & RNH, etc., had nothing to do with the outcome. I would think that they did. The whole "ice-time" thing is not something that I buy - pretty sure that Edmonton's "guarantee" isn't written into his contract. If he sucks, they will not be playing him.

Sugar-coat it all you want, Vancouver failing to land him was still a failure. That failure can and should be compounded by the fact that he was landed by a division rival.

#103 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

This is a guy that 90% of this forum expected us to land. This is a guy that's from Vancouver, parents are season tickets holders, etc. And I just don't buy the notion that the phone calls from Gretzky & Messier, the appearances from Hall & RNH, etc., had nothing to do with the outcome. I would think that they did. The whole "ice-time" thing is not something that I buy - pretty sure that Edmonton's "guarantee" isn't written into his contract. If he sucks, they will not be playing him.

Sugar-coat it all you want, Vancouver failing to land him was still a failure. That failure can and should be compounded by the fact that he was landed by a division rival.

If AV was gone he probably would have signed.

Posted Image

#104 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Schultz was never going to sign here because it made better sense for him to sign in EDM.

I remember having a long discussion with Miller before Schultz signed in EDM. I made the point then that if it was me I would sign in EDM. This guy had parents and agents advising him. He may be young but his support structure is experienced and professional. They would advise him to sign in EDM.

He made the right choice for himself. I look forward to seeing him and the Oilers develop into contenders. They will pbbly be the most exciting team to watch when the league starts up again.

#105 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Schultz was never going to sign here because it made better sense for him to sign in EDM.

It's funny that that seems to be the common theme now, but I can assure you that that was not the sentiment around here leading up the signing.

I was personally attacked repeatedly by people on here for suggesting that I thought - which I did - that Schultz was going to sign in Edmonton. "Perennial losers", "horrible city", "grew up a Canuck fan", etc., were the common responses. I don't feel that it's exaggerating when I say that 90% of this forum's posters believed very strongly that he was going to be a Canuck. Hell, Gillis even hinted at that happening at his season ticket holders' address.

#106 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

It's funny that that seems to be the common theme now, but I can assure you that that was not the sentiment around here leading up the signing.

I was personally attacked repeatedly by people on here for suggesting that I thought - which I did - that Schultz was going to sign in Edmonton. "Perennial losers", "horrible city", "grew up a Canuck fan", etc., were the common responses. I don't feel that it's exaggerating when I say that 90% of this forum's posters believed very strongly that he was going to be a Canuck. Hell, Gillis even hinted at that happening at his season ticket holders' address.

LOL, ppl said the same to me. I had a long drawn out discussion regarding this, I don't recall many ppl agreeing with me either.

#107 Kubrick

Kubrick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

This is exactly my point. Clearly, some people on here can't comprehend this...
Posted Image

#108 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

he has a goal today. Don;t know if he has any other points. i didn;t think he would continue this pace.

#109 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

It looks like they boys are slowly getting in the groove. I think this lockout will be a blessing in disguise for the Oilers if it lasts the whole year.

AHL scoring leaders update: Justin Schultz 1st with 21 pts. Jordan Eberle in 2nd with 19 pts. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins tied for 3rd with 17 pts.

#110 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

the counter arguement I was using, just myself was, that he gets to play on a team that an make a run for the cup right away. I also mentioned that if he's really good enough to play, he will definetly play his way up the ranks and into a top 4 row. This is no joke, and MIke Gillis will promise every player that if they are good enough to play, you will damn play.

By signing with Vancouver he has a chance to win a cup rather quickly. He can also rack up his stats rather quickly too, by getting to feed off the Sedins. Kinda like Chrisitn Ehrhoff style. You guys can say, "well we are stacked" Well were not really statcked right now, first off if Salo, and Rome are, already gone. Ballard was never in A.V's eyes. Chris Tanev is playing good, but lets rank how good he was vs how good Shultz was. Tanev got to play right away. If he really looked at his odds of making the team, it's right there for him, to play for his dream team!

That being said, he wants to grow with a handful of core players , (Hall, Hopkins, Eberle, Yakupov). Something we don't have. He wants to grow with a Dynasty team, so be it.

MIke Gillis was fully aware, Edmonton was offering him ice time. Maybe he would have signed here, if we did offer to him. But if your good enough, you play your way onto the team, is not hard. Right now he's producing at a beast like level. I'm sad we didn't sign, but I'm moving on. Some of you guys only mentioned Mike Gillis failed because of the way he is producing right now. Some of you are just mad and stubborn. If Justin Shultz wasn't producing like this, you guys wouldn't even mention it.

But to say mike Gillis failed???? How??? He did what every team did. Send him a offer sheet. HIs odds were 1 in 27 like every other team, since so many teams offered him a contract. IF you say he failed, then 27 other teams also failed.

While i'm at it. I'm going to say MIke Gillis failed to get us Ryan Suter. FAiled to get us Parise. He also failed to sign Alex Edler with a chance of him leaving our team. He also failed in signing Shea Weber. Our money puck over lord is a failure, and should be fired FOR NOT SIGNING JUSTIN SHULTZ.

You know what, I don't think he failed at all. I'm not going to mention anyone here. Grammar police up my ass. My point is, Mike Gillis didn't fail in anything. I am a little worried he didn't sign Edler, we will see what happens.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#111 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

But to say mike Gillis failed???? How??? He did what every team did. Send him a offer sheet. HIs odds were 1 in 27 like every other team, since so many teams offered him a contract. IF you say he failed, then 27 other teams also failed.

Simple - he failed because the desired outcome was not attained.

And I'm not sure if you heard, but there was a lot more to it than "send him an offer sheet". Edmonton included Gretzky, Messier, Hall, and RNH in their proposal. Gillis brought AV. Most would be more excited by the former.

#112 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

It's clearly you who lacks comprehension here. We didn't fail at anything. You even say that you knew he would sign in Edmonton, but we still failed at signing him? He wasn't part of our organization to begin with. He was a free player. Him not choosing us is on him, not us. Gillis shouldn't have to mess with this team just for this one guy. Deal with it. We made an offer, he didn't want it. That's not actually the Canucks' problem.

Edited by Canuck or Die, 19 November 2012 - 02:22 AM.

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#113 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

I went to the game. I boo'd Schultz, but really just because my buddy was decked out in his Oiler gear.

Offensively he looked great. Defensively he looked terrible. Hopefully the Oilers can develop him

Edited by mpt, 19 November 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#114 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

I don't really get how booing a player is classless.
Classy/classless, are two really overused words on these boards.

Have you guys been to a sporting event?
People get booed all the time.

If you felt betrayed by him not signing with us, and feel compelled to boo him,
well thats up to you. I wouldn't personally. He was a free agent, and was free to choose
where he signed.

Maybe, you hate the Oilers, and express this by booing RNH, Schultz and co.
Thats perfectly within your right to do so.

#115 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I went to the game. I boo'd Schultz, but really just because my buddy was decked out in his Oiler gear.

Offensively he looked great. Defensively he looked terrible. Hopefully the Oilers can develop him

He has actually looked good on the defensive side in the AHL overall. Better than a lot of people thought.

#116 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

It's clearly you who lacks comprehension here. We didn't fail at anything. You even say that you knew he would sign in Edmonton, but we still failed at signing him? He wasn't part of our organization to begin with. He was a free player. Him not choosing us is on him, not us. Gillis shouldn't have to mess with this team just for this one guy. Deal with it. We made an offer, he didn't want it. That's not actually the Canucks' problem.

:lol:

1st sure sign of being a homer: emotional responses like the above, suggesting that I've personally insulted you by saying that Gillis failed.

I didn't "know" anything; all I said was that the smart move would be for him to sign in Edmonton - which was met with a lot of backlash from people on this board, as I mentioned earlier. Him not choosing us is on him, that's true, but you speak like there was nothing that we could've done to influence the outcome at all; put forth the offer, sit back and wait. It's not that simple. Edmonton brought in Gretzky, Messier, Hall, RNH. Do you think those guys would've left an impression at all, on Schultz?

Adding insult to injury was the fact that we were eliminated before Ottawa was, which leads one to assume that Gillis & Vigneault's presentation was a very poor one.

Edited by King of the ES, 19 November 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#117 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

:lol:

1st sure sign of being a homer: emotional responses like the above, suggesting that I've personally insulted you by saying that Gillis failed.

I didn't "know" anything; all I said was that the smart move would be for him to sign in Edmonton - which was met with a lot of backlash from people on this board, as I mentioned earlier. Him not choosing us is on him, that's true, but you speak like there was nothing that we could've done to influence the outcome at all; put forth the offer, sit back and wait. It's not that simple. Edmonton brought in Gretzky, Messier, Hall, RNH. Do you think those guys would've left an impression at all, on Schultz?

Adding insult to injury was the fact that we were eliminated before Ottawa was, which leads one to assume that Gillis & Vigneault's presentation was a very poor one.

It has nothing to do with being a homer and everything to do with the cold, hard truth.

We don't have the likes of Gretzky to come in and sway Shultz. If that is what made him decide to go to Edmonton, so be it. It's still no our problem. By the sound of it, it seems like he was gravitating towards Edmonton from the beginning.

Gillis made an offer and I'm sure he talked with Shultz. Nothing else really needed to be done. He would have been good to have, but guess what? We don't actually absolutely need him contrary to what some of you say on here. Clearly Gillis didn't feel he needed to bend over backwards for him, and I agree. Vancouver and Edmonton weren't the only teams to put in offers for Shultz.

Edited by Canuck or Die, 19 November 2012 - 07:17 PM.

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#118 Kubrick

Kubrick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

It has nothing to do with being a homer and everything to do with the cold, hard truth.

We don't have the likes of Gretzky to come in and sway Shultz. If that is what made him decide to go to Edmonton, so be it. It's still no our problem. By the sound of it, it seems like he was gravitating towards Edmonton from the beginning.

Gillis made an offer and I'm sure he talked with Shultz. Nothing else really needed to be done. He would have been good to have, but guess what? We don't actually absolutely need him contrary to what some of you say on here. Clearly Gillis didn't feel he needed to bend over backwards for him, and I agree. Vancouver and Edmonton weren't the only teams to put in offers for Shultz.

That's true, we don't have Gretzky or Messier or any of the Edmonton Oilers current roster to sway the likes of Schultz into playing for our team. The point he was trying to make is why didn't management put together a package that includes the likes of Smyl, Linden or the Sedins?

All in all, I just hope that Canucks management are putting their best foot forward when it comes to signing talent. Not just relying on the fact that they grew up in BC and dreamed of playing here.
Posted Image

#119 Kubrick

Kubrick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

The two final teams in the running for Schultz were Edmonton and Vancouver.
Posted Image

#120 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

Tell that to the people that are hyping Zack Kassian to death in the Prospects board.

Justin Schultz, at least, deserves the hype that he's getting. 7 goals, 16 points, 12 games played. Leading a team in offense that includes Jordan Eberle, RNH, and Paajarvi. The attention that he's getting is well-deserved.

I agree that the guy is going to be a very good player but you also have to evaluate the fact he is playing with much better players than every other AHL'er is playing with. Eberle, RNH and crew are bonafide NHL'ers. I'd expect Schultz to be racking up points against standard AHL teams playing with those players. Wouldn't you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.