The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News: Schneider Considering playing in Switzerland

laxgoalie

Schneider makes 40 saves in successful Swiss League debut

Cory Schneider was a winner in his Swiss League debut on Sunday.

The Vancouver Canucks' goalie turned aside 40 of 43 shots to backstop Ambri-Piotta to a 4-3 win over the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers.

The win was only the eighth in 27 games this season for Ambri-Piotta, which currently sits in 11th place in the 12-team Swiss League.

The game was a wide-open affair as Ambri-Piotta peppered Lakers goalie David Aebischer with 44 shots.

Four of the shots Schneider faced came off the stick of Ottawa Senators' centre Jason Spezza, who is spending the NHL lockout playing for the Lakers.

Schneider's new Ambri-Piotta teammates include forward Richard Park, a former Canuck.

1st goal. Not his fault. That was just a good goal by the Lakers. Very skilled play. Schneider had really no chance, unless better coverage was provided by his teamates.

2nd goal. Not his fault. NOt sure how the hell did their player get ahead of the defencemen. The reaction on his face said it all when he look skywards. That man was all his. 2nd goal was deflected off a Not very well covered Laker player.

3rd goal. I think he should have stopped this one. But 1st game back since his monster outting Against L.A in April. Not bad at all. 40 saves in 43 shots. Brand new team, brand new game, (different rink) new teamates, on top of that, once again, no games played in 6 months, very good outting by Schneiderm an.

1st goal. Not his fault. That was just a good goal by the Lakers. Very skilled play. Schneider had really no chance, unless better coverage was provided by his teamates.

2nd goal. Not his fault. NOt sure how the hell did their player get ahead of the defencemen. The reaction on his face said it all when he look skywards. That man was all his. 2nd goal was deflected off a Not very well covered Laker player.

3rd goal. I think he should have stopped this one. But 1st game back since his monster outting Against L.A in April. Not bad at all. 40 saves in 43 shots. Brand new team, brand new game, (different rink) new teamates, on top of that, once again, no games played in 6 months, very good outting by Schneiderm an.

9 goals against on 171 shots for a .947 save pct. I'd say he is standing on his head!

Cory Schneider is the best (or at least a top 3 goalie) in the world. He doesn't have the long career to back up that claim but by watching him I think he is THAT good. He makes Luongo (who is a phenomenal goaltender) look average.

Archived