105 replies to this topic

#61 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Nucks have already proven they are the best regular season team X 2.
Doesn't matter how many games they play in the regular season.
Bring on the cup!

#62 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

To me winning in a shortened season means different advantages to different teams. Teams that have a lot of young players in the AHL have a competitive advantage as they are already in full game shape. Teams that have players in Europe have an advantage as they are in mid-season form.

However some players come back from the lockout in better shape because they've given their bodies some rest and a chance to recover from hockey. (Selanne is an example, maybe Kesler will bounce back strong too.)

I just think the two sides are playing chicken and its going to cost both of them revenue. My worry is the NHLPA and Owners are too stubborn to work out a deal this season.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#63 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

So if winning in a shortened season is illegitimate then the other 29 teams must really suck.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#64 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I just want the cup. Who cares if its a 40 game season. Every other team played that same season. Besides its the playoffs that win you the cup not the season and since the playoffs would be the same format its still a huge feat to accomplish.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#65 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Win a cup in a 40 game season first.

Then win another one with an 82 game season a few years later.

Then you have 2 cups, and let the morons who bring these topics up argue all day about the 40 game season cup being legit or not.

#66 Thirteen

Thirteen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

HIGHLY DOUBT any team cares if they win it with a short or long season. Winning the cup is the greatest achievement players can have! The playoff grind will still be the same and the battles still the same so winning it even on a short season would still be awesome.

Would you rather watch Chicago, NY, Boston or another LA type team winning it while we sit with no cup? I would rather see the Canucks take control and go for the cup with this short season and while they are heathy. I could careless what others would say if the Canucks win a cup on a short season becuase I would rather have that then any other team winning.

Posted ImageWooooooooooooooooooooooo!Posted Image

Posted Image
Favorites: Sir. KesLord , Kaner, Stammer, Toes & Pavelski

#67 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

How about an intelligence cap limit placed upon owners so they can say no to the prince of 'US tv revenue and franchises placed in non-traditional US hockey markets' Bettman?

I think we already have an intelligence cap. What we need is an intelligence floor that owners (and their lackey GM's) need to exceed.

#68 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

What season... the only good thing that could come out of this mess is Gary Bettman is gone, along with his 8 million a year pay check.

#69 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

All depends on what draft pick we end up with lol, a top 5 pick I'd rather the season be scratched

#70 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

And at the top of that list.....Flames fans :sick:

Source? I haven't seen anything anywhere that suggests that Flames fans (or anybody else) would consider a Canucks Cup win "illegitimate". This thread is just a bunch of paranoid whining by a bunch of hyper sensitive Canuck "fans".

#71 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Source? I haven't seen anything anywhere that suggests that Flames fans (or anybody else) would consider a Canucks Cup win "illegitimate". This thread is just a bunch of paranoid whining by a bunch of hyper sensitive Canuck "fans".

:rolleyes:

Whooosh.........

Just got tired of anonymously plussing anyone who disagrees with me, or what? :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 04 December 2012 - 01:15 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#72 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Who gives a crap.
Nobody hates on the Devils win in '95, so I wouldn't be inclined to believe they would hate on the team that could win it if there is a season this year.
And even if they do, who cares what bitter people angry that their team didn't win think. If the some team I hate like the Flames or Leafs somehow managed to win I would be mad, but I wouldn't see their cup as illegitimate.
Posted Image

#73 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

:rolleyes:

Whooosh.........

Just got tired of anonymously plussing anyone who disagrees with me, or what? :lol:

Do you have a source or not? You seem to turn every post into a personal vendetta. What started as a thread about shortened seasons has quicky degenerated into a non-Canucks fanbase bashfest for no good reason. Is it any wonder that fans of other teams loathe Canuck fans. Grow up people.

#74 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Do you have a source or not? You seem to turn every post into a personal vendetta. What started as a thread about shortened seasons has quicky degenerated into a non-Canucks fanbase bashfest for no good reason. Is it any wonder that fans of other teams loathe Canuck fans. Grow up people.

:lol:

Questioning someone on the veracity of their unfounded claims is a 'personal vendetta'? Maybe in Zippy world......

What season... the only good thing that could come out of this mess is Gary Bettman is gone, along with his 8 million a year pay check.

We can only wish, eh? :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 04 December 2012 - 01:35 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#75 Dream Theater

Dream Theater

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

There won't be a season at this rate, so we all have nothing to worry about!
Posted Image

#76 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'd rather have no season. Then Mason Raymond will be a UFA again and I hopefully won't have to watch him on this team again.

It also brings us 1 year closer to finding out how much of an absolute travesty this team is going to become when the Sedins pass their prime, revealing how incredibly awful our prospect pool is. Maybe then we can get some management/leadership with actual balls that can re-build this team into a contender.

#77 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Nucks have already proven they are the best regular season team X 2.
Doesn't matter how many games they play in the regular season.
Bring on the cup!

This is a good point. It's not like we have been a team that struggled to make the playoffs, and managed to squeak in because of the shortened season. That would be the only reason to question the team. After that, the playoffs are 16 wins like always.

Now, if the Laffs actually make the playoffs because of the shortened season, THAT is definitely a questionable accomplishment. They'd still be the only team to not make the playoffs in a REAL season since the lockout.

Edited by D-Money, 04 December 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Posted Image

#78 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

honestly i could care less at this point. Im actually enjoying watching junior and ahl hockey right now. Did you see the kitchener vs windsor game last friday? what a game

I'd rather have both sides suffer as much financial loss as possible for putting me through this every 6 years.

#79 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

If people bitch about the Canucks winning in a shortened season, they're probably just butthurt losers. Even if there's a 40 game season, all the teams still have the same chance to win it. Plus the playoffs would be the same length. People always say "regular season doesn't matter" so it would be ironic if they complained about the Canucks winning in a short regular season.

#80 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The longer this lasts the more I think about last year. In turn the more I hate Duncan Keith, and the more i realize how stupid the Hodgson trade was. What a complete disaster. Two moves that crippled our chances at one of the easiest cup runs ever.

Now with a full lockout we have basically lost 2 shots at the cup during our contending prime. Makes me ill.

Would rub a shortened season cup in the rest of the league's face should it happen.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 04 December 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#81 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I don't recall the last time anyone said anything about the NJ Devils' win being illegitimate.

because they aren't us lol

#82 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The longer this lasts the more I think about last year. In turn the more I hate Duncan Keith, and the more i realize how stupid the Hodgson trade was. What a complete disaster. Two moves that crippled our chances at one of the easiest cup runs ever.

Now with a full lockout we have basically lost 2 shots at the cup during our contending prime. Makes me ill.

Would rub a shortened season cup in the rest of the league's face should it happen.

lol @ you thinking Hodgson would have made a difference against the Kings, nobody was stopping the Kings last year

#83 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

lol @ you thinking Hodgson would have made a difference against the Kings, nobody was stopping the Kings last year

We definitely could have stopped them. Cody likely wouldn't have been a hero, he wouldn't have to be. We lost 2 games by 1 goal and 2 by short handers. That's a 7 game series with him and Daniels return, yea we probably win. This "mighty Kings" crap is BS, they weren't some magical all star team.

#84 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

We definitely could have stopped them. Cody likely wouldn't have been a hero, he wouldn't have to be. We lost 2 games by 1 goal and 2 by short handers. That's a 7 game series with him and Daniels return, yea we probably win. This "mighty Kings" crap is BS, they weren't some magical all star team.

Schneider had a 1.33 GAA in the games he played and we still lost 2 of those 3 games, that tells you all you need to know.

They went 16-4 on their way to the cup they dominated the whole way, why can't some people just accept the fact that we aren't the best team and stop making excuses

#85 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

This is a good point. It's not like we have been a team that struggled to make the playoffs, and managed to squeak in because of the shortened season. That would be the only reason to question the team. After that, the playoffs are 16 wins like always.

Now, if the Laffs actually make the playoffs because of the shortened season, THAT is definitely a questionable accomplishment. They'd still be the only team to not make the playoffs in a REAL season since the lockout.

Think about this. If the entire season is lost, Toronto will have two full lockouts under their belt before their next playoff appearance. Seems funny to me anyway.

#86 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Schneider had a 1.33 GAA in the games he played and we still lost 2 of those 3 games, that tells you all you need to know.

They went 16-4 on their way to the cup they dominated the whole way, why can't some people just accept the fact that we aren't the best team and stop making excuses

Yes it tells me everything I need to know, we had awesome goaltending and still lost because we lacked quality forwards....like the 2 guys mentioned before...ya know that Art Ross winning guy and that clutch rookie who scored some of the biggest goals of the season. We are the better team, this is why we finished 1st, twice in a row.

You're the one with the exuses, "unstoppable" or the other popular "hot goalie", like the team should just accept that loser nonsense. AV should just walk in the room after and say "oh its okay guys, we just ran into an unstoppable hot goalie again" lol, completely ignore LA was an 8th seed that lost out to a garbage Sharks team at the end of the season. Ignore how Quick was letting in goals from centre ice. Blues and PHX are hardly top notch competition. We would have rolled through the rest of the playoffs had we beaten the Kings just as easily.

Maybe you should accept that this team screwed up hard again, and it probably cost us a cup...again.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 04 December 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#87 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Like Chicago in 2011, the Kings were a way better team than an 8th seed. Daniel was back for 2 games, we won 1 and lost 1. Our offense was lacking all series, as it was in the finals in 2011 and last i checked we had Daniel for all 7 of those games against Boston. And we only scored 8 goals

I'm not making excuses lol, I'm admitting we got beat by a better team that was on a mission last year, they won the cup they were the best team last year. You're making excuses saying we lost cause we didn't have Hodgson or Daniel, maybe learn what making excuses means. Yes we finished 1st in the regular season which, although is nice, means nothing in the playoffs. And we showed it 2 years in a row now.

Edited by Primus099, 04 December 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#88 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

True enough but they weren't better than us, just played better. My only beef is saying Cody wouldn't have helped. I think he would have, enough to win and in turn open a playoff run equally as dominant as the Kings was. Lots of people seem to downplay the hole he left and how it was magnified with the loss of Daniel, like they just don't want to admit Gillis goofed hard and it was unavoidable The trade just keeps looking worse, it screwed our chances for a cup run and now with a lockout we lose another. Just a huge waste of such a stacked team.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 04 December 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#89 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,866 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Would they just cancel the season if the CBA is reached when there's less than 40 games to be played?

A 20 game season would be perfect for the Canucks because that's usually how long they take to hit their peak (which is normally around November/December), so what better time to peak than when the playoffs start as opposed to the 2nd month of the season.

I don't know any other team that has consistently started slowly and had a red-hot November/December like the Canucks. That being said, a shortened season and players returning from oversees will probably throw everything out of whack, but the Canucks have by-far the best chance to win the Cup in a shortened season. We have injuries being nursed, old stars who can't survive a grind, a young goalie who hasn't proven he can handle 60+ games and not many players wearing themselves out oversees.
Posted Image

#90 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,869 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

I do.

My source is all my friends still in Calgary. It's all part of the rivalry. They remind me that the Canucks have never won the Cup, I remind them that Otto kicked it in. They only ever refer to the Sedins as "the sisters", I ask them how they feel about Stajan's NTC.

We went to plenty of Canucks games at the Saddledome. I called them Canucks games because that's who normally won.

What good is it having Calgarian friends if you can't have a friendly rivalry to go with it? I can promise you that when the Canucks finally win it all, my friends in Calgary will have some reason why it never should have happened.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.