Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Would you rather save the season, or fire Bettman?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Hockey Season OR Bettman's job? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you give up the rest of the season if it ment Gary Bettman gets canned?

1. NO! If I miss any more games I might die a horrible hockeyless death! (5 votes [11.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

2. Yes! Gary Bettman is a Robot sent from the future to destroy hockey. (24 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

3. Maybe. If we have to lose a season anyway. (12 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

4. I think Gary Bettman is super cool and should become the Prime Minister of Hockey!! (3 votes [6.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

If you knew there was a way to resolve the CBA and get hockey started again but it ment Gary Bettman looks favourable in the eyes of the owners and continues his reign for years to come, would you let the season die to get Bettman fired?

Edited by Deets, 08 December 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#2 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Bettman should be fired at all costs. In a perfect world we would save the season and Bettman would be fired.

#3 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,533 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you knew there was a way to resolve the CBA and get hockey started again but it ment Gary Bettman gets an extended contract, would you let the season die to get Bettman fired?

Bettman got an extended contract last november (2011) for 5 years. Why would he get another extension?

Germany-2014-World-Cup-Final-Champions-W

#4 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Bettman got an extended contract last november (2011) for 5 years. Why would he get another extension?

Its a hypothetical question. Perhaps I should word it differently.

#5 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,533 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Its a hypothetical question. Perhaps I should word it differently.

I shall answer your question.

Fire the a**hole.

If i had to choose with firing Bettman or firing Fehr, i'd probably pick Fehr.

I've got baseball to watch in April anyways. Jays will be stacked

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 08 December 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Germany-2014-World-Cup-Final-Champions-W

#6 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

it would be way better for the greater good of the hockey world to lose the season and have betman be fired.... the problem is, unfortunately Betman can only get fired by the owners which won't happen.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#7 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

it would be way better for the greater good of the hockey world to lose the season and have betman be fired.... the problem is, unfortunately Betman can only get fired by the owners which won't happen.

I know, i'm more or less just trying to guage how much peoplemiss hockey, and how much people hate Bettman! lol need some entertainment for the weekend.

#8 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Bettman is the puppet of the owners. Fire Bettman so we can just hire another Bettman? What does that solve?

Bettman works for the owners. Kids sitting behind their computers dont get a say in 'firing bettman' . Firing bettman means firing the owners. Dont see how you plan do to that?

Fehr is another story. He was brought in as a hired gun, and has done nothing but provide a permanent divide between the NHLPA and the ownership. He is not respected by the owners .

The NHLPA should go grow their own guy. A hockey guy. A guy who at least played in the AHL and preferably at least one NHL game. Take a guy like that , like MIke Gillis.

Gillis would be someone the ownership could respect. He is a hockey guy. He is someone who has been on both sides of the puck. He would be respected by both sides and could do a great job for the NHLPA.

There are others who could also become head of the NHLPA . Hockey guys who became GMs could then shift back to the players side as head of the union.

After all this is over, fire Fehr and start to recruit someone like that.
Posted Image

#9 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

The Casual fan still think it's all Bettmans fault because they don't bother nor care about the actual process that is going on with the lockout. Bettman, himself took himself out of negotiations this week and the PA still manages to piss off the owners. The Owners themselves were furious of what had happened so how can you still blame Bettman when he wasn't even involved? He actually proposed that the Owners and Players meet. This is a really smart move on Bettman's part.

I've said it all along, and the above poster is right. You can fire Bettman all you want, all you are going to get is a replacement Bettman. Is it partially Bettman's fault that there is a lockout? Yeah, of course. Everyone is to blame, but the majority of people who actually follow the lockout have been on the Owner's side and after Bettman's "Performance" a couple days ago, it's hard not to be on his side. Fehr has been telling the Players that there is a deal in place but wants to hold out for more. The intelligent players are just going on his word, and thus there may be a voting process when it's all done.

Fehr will be finished after this, guaranteed. I even heard that he plans on retiring after this regardless, as if he is purposely screwing everyone over but it's fine. It's the players fault for not doing any research and just believing in this guy, who came close to destroying the MLB.

You know, when Don Cherry who has been so critical of Bettman for so long, is believing in Bettman. You know something is wrong.

Wait one more week, and we'll have a clear indication of how this is going, but from all that is being heard. The Players may decide on a vote, but then..they'll have to someway find a way to get the trust of the Owners for them to put the offer back on the table.

Edited by Rey, 08 December 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#10 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Donald is probably going to step down after he's done his destruction. Steve Fehr will take over. Think that was the plan from Day 1.

Mike Gillis is a terrible choice to be a leader of the PA. He's just as arrogant as everyone else that's involved right now and he's a former agent. I'm sure he pissed a lot of guys, Owners and GM during his negotiations with them.

Edited by Rey, 08 December 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#11 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Fire bettman , Hire me, I could really use the extra 8 mil a year and I don't look like Gollum . Win-Win-Win situation if you ask me.
Posted Image

#12 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'd like to have the option of killing Bettman, Dexter style. I would definitely vote for that.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#13 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,130 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Easy choice for me. Hockey.

Anyone who thinks Bettman's replacement will be any different is fooling themselves. The owners will just replace him with another puppet when his time is done.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#14 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

I shall answer your question.

Fire the a**hole.

If i had to choose with firing Bettman or firing Fehr, i'd probably pick Fehr.

I've got baseball to watch in April anyways. Jays will be stacked

It's kind of ironic that you say fire Fehr, then you turn around and talk about Baseball (a sport that has had almost 20 years of Labour peace and he is the reason for it)

Bettman is the puppet of the owners. Fire Bettman so we can just hire another Bettman? What does that solve?

Bettman works for the owners. Kids sitting behind their computers dont get a say in 'firing bettman' . Firing bettman means firing the owners. Dont see how you plan do to that?

Fehr is another story. He was brought in as a hired gun, and has done nothing but provide a permanent divide between the NHLPA and the ownership. He is not respected by the owners .

The NHLPA should go grow their own guy. A hockey guy. A guy who at least played in the AHL and preferably at least one NHL game. Take a guy like that , like MIke Gillis.

Gillis would be someone the ownership could respect. He is a hockey guy. He is someone who has been on both sides of the puck. He would be respected by both sides and could do a great job for the NHLPA.

There are others who could also become head of the NHLPA . Hockey guys who became GMs could then shift back to the players side as head of the union.

It's not just about this negotiation, it's about other things too.

But I agree he is the puppet and the owner's are pulling the strings. That's no different on the players size though. You shouldn't get mad at Fehr you should be mad at the players if you support the owners.

zackass.png

#15 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

I would say save the season, prior to this negotiation I actually liked Bettman. Sort of. He is just a puppet to the owner's strings, it wouldn't really have any affect on the way the overall game & business is IMO.

zackass.png

#16 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

I'd gladly sacrifice this season, or whatever's left of it, if it meant enacting real change in the way the ownership of this league approached the game. However. I don't think firing Bettman would accomplish that. So - save the season.

#17 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Drop Fehr and Bettman and I bet you'd get a deal in 72 hours.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#18 Peter Gunn

Peter Gunn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

What the hell did the players do to deserve some of you moronic fans saying the players and Fehr are just as or even more responsible than Bettman and the Owners for this mess. Oh ya, that’s right they make enough money already, they’re GREEEEDY!!!!!

Who sets the salaries, the League, Bettman and the owners - see salary cap. Last I heard, Parise and Suter didn’t kick the doors down in Minnesota and demand the contracts they got, it was the owners who came-a-callin‘, wasn’t it? What’s the player to do when they’re made that kind of offer, TURN IT DOWN???? Yah sure, like any of us would turn down a good raise and company car because we‘re concerned about the potential negative impact it may have on a rival company we don’t work for.

The false-equivalence argument about how the player’s make enough money already so another roll-back is no big deal, look at what a cop or teacher makes. and of course those idiots who call in to sports radio with their “I work my tail off as a truck driver to make 60,000 a year and I’m tired of these winy players complaining about a roll-back when they make so much already.”

First, no-one is going to pay $100 to watch you drive a truck for 3 hours or spend $50 dollars for a ‘Honk if You’re Horny’ t-shirt like the one you’re wearing and secondly there are approximately 7.6 billion people on this planet, of those, how many can score over 40 goals a season in the NHL - how many can drive a truck?

Fans scapegoat the players for how much they make, then turn around and spend thousands of dollars on tickets, jerseys, beer, parking, or virtually any other item with their teams logo on it thereby increasing the teams revenue which of course increases the player’s salary. That’s right Mr. Fan you’re to blame for how much the player makes.

It boils down to the basic fact that some of you assign blame not to those in charge and who created the problem in the first place and who by the way are once again getting almost everything they want but instead to those who will likely cave in because they have little control and are the most vulnerable (the Players).

The players are standing on principle here and we as fans should be grateful, because if you think about it, if they cave in again one can only imagine what the next lock-out is going to be like 8 years down the road.

Note to Players

Dear Players,

I want my NHL hockey so quit being so selfish and greedy and just give the owners what they want.

Sincerely,
The Fans

PS

Luv u

#19 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

What the hell did the players do to deserve some of you moronic fans saying the players and Fehr are just as or even more responsible than Bettman and the Owners for this mess. Oh ya, that’s right they make enough money already, they’re GREEEEDY!!!!!

Who sets the salaries, the League, Bettman and the owners - see salary cap. Last I heard, Parise and Suter didn’t kick the doors down in Minnesota and demand the contracts they got, it was the owners who came-a-callin‘, wasn’t it? What’s the player to do when they’re made that kind of offer, TURN IT DOWN???? Yah sure, like any of us would turn down a good raise and company car because we‘re concerned about the potential negative impact it may have on a rival company we don’t work for.

The false-equivalence argument about how the player’s make enough money already so another roll-back is no big deal, look at what a cop or teacher makes. and of course those idiots who call in to sports radio with their “I work my tail off as a truck driver to make 60,000 a year and I’m tired of these winy players complaining about a roll-back when they make so much already.”

First, no-one is going to pay $100 to watch you drive a truck for 3 hours or spend $50 dollars for a ‘Honk if You’re Horny’ t-shirt like the one you’re wearing and secondly there are approximately 7.6 billion people on this planet, of those, how many can score over 40 goals a season in the NHL - how many can drive a truck?

Fans scapegoat the players for how much they make, then turn around and spend thousands of dollars on tickets, jerseys, beer, parking, or virtually any other item with their teams logo on it thereby increasing the teams revenue which of course increases the player’s salary. That’s right Mr. Fan you’re to blame for how much the player makes.

It boils down to the basic fact that some of you assign blame not to those in charge and who created the problem in the first place and who by the way are once again getting almost everything they want but instead to those who will likely cave in because they have little control and are the most vulnerable (the Players).

The players are standing on principle here and we as fans should be grateful, because if you think about it, if they cave in again one can only imagine what the next lock-out is going to be like 8 years down the road.

Note to Players

Dear Players,

I want my NHL hockey so quit being so selfish and greedy and just give the owners what they want.

Sincerely,
The Fans

PS

Luv u

Have you ever driven a truck?

#20 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Easy choice for me. Hockey.

Anyone who thinks Bettman's replacement will be any different is fooling themselves. The owners will just replace him with another puppet when his time is done.

Sometimes I think you and I are about the only ones that get this.
Stopped counting the number of times you have pointed this out to others.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#21 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,130 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sometimes I think you and I are about the only ones that get this.
Stopped counting the number of times you have pointed this out to others.

It's a CDC thing.

When people on this board get an idea in their collective heads that a certain person or player is the second coming of Pol Pot, you can't tell them any different. It's like a Terrier with a rat, there's no letting go.

Cloutier, Rome, Bieksa, Pyatt, AV, Raymond, the list goes on and on...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#22 stuckinontario

stuckinontario

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Forget Bettman the puppet. I say we fire the owners.
Posted Image
Canucks brass, send scouts out to Ptbo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.