The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's Top 30 Affiliated Prospect List: Justin Schultz at #1

Might be stretch in the top 30, but here's a 6'4 220 power forward with speed and grit that's scoring almost PPG in the ohl. Granted he's playing with arguably the league's best in Strome, can't put him down just because you've never heard of him prior to the WJC

Kuznetsov and Tarasenko are going to be great players. I'd move Grigorenko and Huberdeau higher up on the list.

Can't wait to see the Oilers with Nail and Schultz added to the team. It's going to be exciting hockey. I'm most excited to watch the Oil more than any other team.

Kuznetsov and Tarasenko are going to be great players. I'd move Grigorenko and Huberdeau higher up on the list.

Can't wait to see the Oilers with Nail and Schultz added to the team. It's going to be exciting hockey. I'm most excited to watch the Oil more than any other team.

That's fine with me.

I'll be happy to 'settle' for the next Burrows (undrafted), Hansen (9th round), Edler (91st overall), Bieksa (5th round).

You'd think that people might see/think beyond the projected star gazing by now.

Shall we run a comparable for Detroit? Zetteburg 210th, Datsyuk 171st...etc.

I'm just as concerned that the Canucks don't have Detroit's 121st overall pick in 2008, Gustav Nyqvist, as I am that they don't have any of Button's top 30...

Then again, I'm happy to settle for bumbs like the undrafted Tanev, or Jensen (who'd I take over a lot of guys on that list), or another undrafted disappointment like Edde Lack, or that 5th round plug Corrado.

Gaunce, Connauton, Kassian and Schroeder are also unworthy or our attention.

Gazes at top 30... Hits - panic - button - now.

I guess, but the fact that the Canucks haven't really been that great in terms of drafting/development post-lockout says otherwise. Only 3 players that the Canucks have drafted post-lockout have played more than 40 games in the league (Raymond, Hodgson, Grabner), and only one of them is actually on the Canucks. I know people rip on Brian Burke, but he was better than Mike Gillis when it came to drafting and developing prospects. What worries me is the drafting over the past 7 years. Before that, it was actually quite good. Nobody is hitting the panic button right now, but they might in a few years if this keeps up.

Interesting comments coming from the guy who's not at all sold on Schultz because "it's half a year in the freaking AHL".

One thing that concerns me about Jensen is that he did not improve, year-over-year, in the OHL from when he was drafted to last year. He ended off 2011 on a very high note, putting up huge numbers in the playoffs. Then he followed that up with a season where his numbers didn't improve, and he had a very ho-hum playoffs. You'd think that with an extra year of maturity/growth, he'd have been able to be that much more dominant. Nope. Red flag, IMO.

The SEL is the third best league in the world, and Jensen is a top goal scorer there as a 19 year old. 19 not 22. Not to mention he's on one of the worst teams in the league.

Comparing forwards and D isn't really that easy. A defenseman needs to develop so many more aspects of their game to make it in the NHL. That's why I'm not sold on Schultz yet.

What Jensen did in the OHL has been trumped by what he has done in the SEL. Once a player shows he can play in the higher leagues, junior numbers mean nothing.

He's one of those players who seems to perform consistently no matter what league he's in.

One thing that concerns me about Jensen is that he did not improve, year-over-year, in the OHL from when he was drafted to last year. He ended off 2011 on a very high note, putting up huge numbers in the playoffs. Then he followed that up with a season where his numbers didn't improve, and he had a very ho-hum playoffs. You'd think that with an extra year of maturity/growth, he'd have been able to be that much more dominant. Nope. Red flag, IMO.

Archived